Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #121
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Devin! I know!! That would be a good sign! Some are starting to put out little roots and dividing/budding. I forget the technical term for it. Their flowers are amazing!! And your plants that you have sent do provide a nice lush green back drop. The textures are really different, though, and the Mexican milkweed is flowering for me already. The shorter plants, like the Alternantheras and Aluminum plants add color and some needed thicket-like bushiness around the wood.

As you well know, you've had a hand in all of the wood-based hardscape and the plant selection, both Tillandsia and riparium. It's turned out wonderfully. Anyone who has pendant style lighting or relies on sunlight SHOULD have riparium or marginal plants growing. It just adds so much more to a tank, IMO.

C Gwinner...thank you! I used wood glue. Works perfectly well, and dries to match the color of the wood. With enough growth from the plants, it will look a lot more seamless. I'm getting a sampler package of terrarium plants that should be able to tolerate this type of lighting, from a Mack who is a hobbyist here and a pretty cool guy! Very helpful to me so far! I just don't know what all he sent to me yet. I'll find out tomorrow! Things along the lines of Margravia, ficus, vines, ant plants, and so forth. I didn't ask...I want to be surprised.

I did order additional airplants on my own, including a nice type of airfern, and some other Tillandsia. I do want to keep some of it a surprise, though!

The top part of the tank IS the focus right now, but I think that it is simply because that is where you notice the biggest and quickest changes. The aquatic plants are chugging along alright. I've had your "normal" algae issues which I'm still fighting a bit. I assume that they'll go away as soon as the system matures. But, spot treating with Excel and peroxide has cause some leaf-melt on my crypts, so you don't really see a lot of growth from them yet. Once things calm down in there, and the crypts, buces, thread-leafed java fern, anubias, and my slow-growing stems start putting on fast growth, it will look completely different, and (hopefully) equally as intriguing to view. That's the goal, anyway.

Marko--Yeah, the ties removal isn't actually very evident until you click on the pictures. Sorry about that buddy! You're right! They were just temporarily used to hold the wood in place until the glue dried and cured. I did wait a good 24 hours in between the "glue application and zip tie'-stage to 'removing the zip tie"-stage.

Thanks Andrew and Bob! Normally, I don't LOVE seeing leaves in a tank, unless it is for a shrimp tank. But, I needed something to tie in the top with the bottom. So, floaters, in general, help the eyes make that transition. The leaves further help with that. Plus, they add to the "forest stream" feel I'm trying to go for. They also help keep the tannins in the water, add anti-microbial properties, and foster the development of micro-fauna as well. Especially as this tank is slow to put on good leaf growth (it seems to be maturing "back to front" oddly), I need something "more" to look at in the water.

Once the tank is healthy and covered in crypt/buce leaves, I will likely take out most of the oak leaves, with the exception of having a few floating on top of the water.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #122
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Another awesome tank.

I am still scratching my head on an ada75p vs custom 2 foot square since the first iteration of this tank turned me on to the possibilities of a square tank.

This iteration makes me question my desire to do a separate terrarium, given the amount of color you're getting without having to keep the above water area enclosed for humidity.

Any plans on beefing up the school sizes? Even the final stock list seems very lightly stocked for the amount of surface area you are working with.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #123
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Panda! I don't mean to complicate your decision making! Personally, I believe that a square tank is more interesting as it offers multiple perspectives and three different views. I feel that it also forces you to be a better scaper for the reasons above. And if you have an open top, why not take advantage of that as well.

You are right...the humidity isn't the same as having a closed top terrarium or vivarium. However, the more plants you have around the water, the more humid it will be. Also, the warmer the water is in the tank, the more humid it will be. Wicks can be made using long fiber sphagnum, and if you can mist every two or three days, that should provide plenty of moisture. Not for "everything," but for a nice selection....probably nicer than you think is possible.

I think that I'm done with shrimp and fish. I have 35 microdevario kubotai, 25 microrasbora boraras, 32 Pygmy cories, 10 ottos, about 40 orange shrimp and about a dozen tangerines in there. It's more than enough!! The Microdevario and boraras school together mostly, and it looks more impressive in person than what I've been able to get a picture of to date. They've colored up very nicely, too, and are pretty much in the open constantly. I just really haven't focused on getting shot with them in it. You can get an idea of the school in there in the close up picture of the left side showing the Manzy branches in and out of the water, going from back (on the left side) of the picture to the front (right side of the picture). It's the second to last shot in the second set of pics....you can see a bunch of the micro fish.

Last edited by crazydaz; 11-08-2012 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: Details
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #124
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Do you still plan to add orchids? I am shopping around a bit for miniature orchids that can handle more airy and less humid conditions to use in my tarantula setup.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #125
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Mmm hmm. I should have something like that arriving tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #126
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Very nice developments! And yes, I'm going to stalk this across domains.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #127
BeachBum2012
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Stunning. That's all I can come up with to say.

Mr Aqua 17g
BeachBum2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #128
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Oh, and the process of vegetative propagation for bromeliads / tillandsias is called 'pupping'.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #129
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

My oh my...beautiful work.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #130
theericafish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank is always awesome. Looked good before and looks good now. I WANT IT. Lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #131
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Mmm hmm. I should have something like that arriving tomorrow.
If you have your camera out it would be great to see some specimen photos.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #132
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Very well thought out and creative set-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This will be really amazing if you can get some of those Tillandsia to flower.
From the coloring that is already showing, a couple of your specimens look like they are on the verge of flowering. After flowering, as Toksyn mentioned, the mother plant should produce pups (off-sets). Most Tillandsia will flower once in their lifetime and die. After your Tillies do flower, do not be tempted to pull any floppy and/or 'what appear to be dying' leafs off the mother plant (usually on the base of the plant), pups are probably forming in those areas. After the pups are visible and have a bit of size, you can remove those leaves without problems.

Tillandsia are unique because of their photosynethesis process (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism: "CAM" respiration). Unlike other plants, Tillandsia close their stomata (pores) during the day and open them at night. Tillies take in CO2 during the night, while also releasing O2 and water vapor. Here are a few pics showing pups that have formed on an ionantha, along with a couple of ionanthas in bloom to give you an idea of what to expect (notice that the color is gone and flower bract has withered away in the first picture).

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2995.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	56746

Name:	100_2665.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	56747

Name:	100_2629.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	56748
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #133
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

So much eye candy!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #134
fishcrazee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee

your tank is seriously AMAZING! I am at a loss for words... I can only hope to ever make a tank even half as great and intricate
fishcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #135
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Don - It's always a perilous move adding hardscape to an existing 'Scape. More times than not we tend to go to far. I think you've improved on your 'Scape. The additional wood adds a nice balance.

I also really appreciate the challenge of 3 viewing sides. In my humble 40 I only have 2 sides and it took me quiet a while to get a handle on the fact that it really is multiple 'Scapes based on point of view.

Looking good my friend, looking good.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote