Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 12/7/14 NEW PICS!! - Page 52
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #766
teddo10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lokking good, as usual. Hats of to the tank and to your skills.

Just one slight but. The colors look to unnatural to my eyes. Any chance to take a picture with daylight lamps only?
teddo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #767
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog33 View Post
I have spent hours upon hours looking at tanks online hundreds and hundreds this is by far my favorite well done!
Have to agree with this.

The Gloxinia in the last pic is a nice touch. I haven't seen gloxinias, large or small, in quite a while.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #768
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

This tank is just unreal. I love every update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddo10 View Post
Just one slight but. The colors look to unnatural to my eyes. Any chance to take a picture with daylight lamps only?
I get where you are coming from, and I kind of thought the same thing the very first time I saw this riparium, but I think a big part of the artistry of this tank is the lights, the steam, and the misting so the plants are wet. It makes it feel surreal and very jungle like. It feels like another world.

If he was photoshopping the pictures to make wacky fake colors, that'd be one thing, but this is how it looks in real life when he looks at it every day, so that's how it should look when he posts pictures. It's stunning.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #769
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Looking incredible as always Don! I may have missed it at some point but what is the fern? I have been wanting to add some different textures into my tank.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #770
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Gary and SaltyDog- Thank you both very much for the compliments! I am happy that you guys appreciate the set up and the pictures! It helps keep me going!

Teddo- Of course I have to tweak the photos! If I didn't, it would be washed out by the blinding white of the Spanish Moss. Therefore, the photo is taken, and adjusted in my Canon software. I have to decrease the brightness, increase the contrast a bit, increase the saturation to get the warmth back, and I usually increase the sharpness. But all I am doing is getting it back to a true visual. There is so much light from 16 HO T5 54 watt bulbs that it becomes necessary to this. I don't consider it cheating as much as I consider it a true version of what my eyes see versus what comes out on film, which is blinding and would look "Eww." The only really big comp that I do is on the brightness level; everything else is somewhat minor adjustments to less the "Eww" factor.

Thank you Bushkill! The Gloxinella is a very pretty plant, and I lucked out that it would do well. From what I could tell, it should have, but you never know with these things sometimes until you get them, set them, and see how it responds. Other plants that I have gotten require hardening, and it's common for these species (like Marcgravia for instance) to disappear completely, only to re-emerge a few months later doing well. It always ends up surprising me what pops up.

Thank you AnotherHobby! In reality, that's all I'm trying to do is to compensate for the over-brightness from the lighting. You can see in the video below what the tank looks like from a video perspective, and I feel that it is comparable.

Johnson, thank you very much! The fern is called "Fluffy Ruffles" and was de-potted when I added it to the tank on top. It is sitting on top of a bed of leaf litter and trimmings from the tank, and covered at the base with the same. This was simply to keep it from drying out is all. It has since been able to grow it's root structure to the extent where they are touching the water, which is about 18" below where the main fern sits. It did that after about a month of being placed in it's location, and sends out runners like crazy, which I have taken and replanted elsewhere on the top.

I took this video using my new camcorder on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. It's my first non-crappy, non-iPhone video.
: http://youtu.be/XbLc2540KM8
Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #771
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Stunning as always crazydaz
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #772
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

That video really shows off how amazing it must look in person. Seriously, that's just awesome.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #773
teddo10
Algae Grower

I didn't want to implie cheating!. I thought you used colored TL lights to enhance reds and blues. Sorry
Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #774
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Lub!

AnotherHobby! Thank you! I wanted to show what it looked like in reality, without camera tweaks! heh heh. Even still, it isn't quite there, but it's pretty close.

Teddo, I didn't want you to think that I was mad or anything! :-) I didn't mean to imply that you were implying anything! lol! Yes, I see what you mean, and the bulb choices do likely add to that effect of an "unnatural" aesthetic. I feel that it is probably a bit more exaggerated in the pictures than what it looks like in real life, which is one of the reasons I took the video.....to kind of show the tank without any sort of tweaks in the pictures, and maybe give people a better understanding of the truer look of the tank. You are right....the spectrum is a bit off, but it does bring out the colors to a greater degree by using some of those quirky bulbs. I can't complain with the results though! And Teddo, if for some reason you were to be critical of the tank, that's ok, too, my friend! You have no reason to apologize to me at all, sir! :-) Thank you for mentioning that, and clarifying what you meant. You are correct!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #775
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Every time I see new pictures of your tank Don I'm amazed. One thing you can't edit in photos is the ability to grow healthy happy plants. I don't mind the tweaks in your photos because i understand how hard it is to get a photo to look like it does in person especially with the blinding lights like you have. And now I have a video to drool over.

Is your little Buce that you were using for a carpet plant still in there? Better yet just take some more pictures of the submerged portion so I can see for myself.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #776
teddo10
Algae Grower

No harm done
Video looks good, thx. Just want to know where you buy the magic pixiedust to get all that growth
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #777
Saltydog33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post

Is your little Buce that you were using for a carpet plant still in there? Better yet just take some more pictures of the submerged portion so I can see for myself.
I agree
Saltydog33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #778
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Ua hua and Saltydog-- It's still there....it's just growing under a bunch of lileopsis right now, I think. It wasn't growing fast enough, and it was really difficult to keep runners from both the crypts and lileopsis from growing under the runners of the buces. I would have to uproot them constantly, and they just weren't handling it to well. So, when I remove the lileopsis foreground, if they are still there, cool, if not, oh well. Not much I can do about it.

Forgot to post these submersed shots:

Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #779
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

What always gets me is how clean the plants look / are. No matter how hard I try I always seem to get some kind of detritus or caked on algae on plants here and there. I have good circulation ( least I think so) and good filtration... I just dun understands lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #780
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I know ive said it before, but this looks better than ever. What fish are dwelling in that jungle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.