Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated w/NEW PICS 2/15/14 - Page 48
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #706
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Octane--Thank you! I'm happy that it provided you with some inspiration to consider doing something a little different for your next build. Thank you for being signing up on the site, too!

Scape--Thank you! lol! It's also very easy to maintain, too!

synaethetic--Thank you, too! It's not a traditional Dutch style tank, for sure. It's probably best described as a riparium with a Dutch/Natural submersed portion in the aquarium. I don't really get any more than a few minutes per day, on average. I'm travel extensively for my job, and when I get home, I make it a point to sit down in front of it for 15-30 minutes, maybe play a little music, and enjoy what's going on in there. But, if you are around it often, it can be a bit easier to pass it by.

Peachii--ha! Yes, this is "me." I appreciate the compliment! It simply takes time to learn how to grow plants successfully and get them to color up nicely. It's more than simply having great equipment, which I do, and ferts, though those are certainly quite important to have! You must learn how to trim and group species together in order to achieve the look that you are going for, and what plants do better in certain high-light areas, and which look better in lower light, and so on. This tank is a culmination of many years of practice and making mistakes and having fun.

Hippo! Thanks dude!

I'll try to get some additional pictures up between today and tomorrow, so be on the look out!
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #707
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Straight up you could sell that tank for 30k amazing work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
pirayaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #708
Mirv

looking for some new pics if possible

greetings from your italian fan! (lol)
Mirv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #709
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thank you Pirayaman!

Here you are, Mirv! Thank you for requesting them!

Thank you for looking!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #710
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Omg... the colors... so pretty... can I just sleep next to it???

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #711
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

This is incredible. The colors are amazing!! Awesome job
Old 02-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #712
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Thank you for looking!

no, thank YOU for sharing! this tank is amazing!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #713
breakg

Speechless beautiful job there. Lucky fishes.
breakg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #714
Mirv

Smile

thank you so much for sharing this.
it looks like a cube of nature surrounded by four glasses, and is just awesome.
i got a question for you, how do you hold tilliandias on woods?
i found one here in italy but it lasted 4 days, i'm mad for that ahah.
cya man!
Mirv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #715
TDerivan
Algae Grower

This tank is a testament to the hard work and superior knowledge you have put into it. It makes me proud to be part of the same hobby and I only hope that one day I can create a masterpiece like this. I know this makes me want to work harder on my current scapes. Thank you sooo much for sharing this with us.
I look forward to (hopefully) seeing that 30 gallon long setup too!
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #716
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I honestly feel this is my favorite tank I've seen on this entire forum since I started lurking here 6 years ago. I think the only thing that comes close to this tank for me is Tom Barrs Dutch scape as far as aquascaping skills go. What do people say when they walk into your house and see this!??
Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #717
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I should come help u with your lawn hahaha. Carpet the front with hc the contrast would be insane

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
pirayaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #718
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Every update is just insane. Your creation is executed on a whole different level. Plant growth, layout and aquascape, lighting, colors, photography... all of it is a 10 out of 10.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #719
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Gary, you don't have to ask! You are more than welcome to come over, and I'll put a sleeping bag out for you.

Trigger, thank you very much! The results turned out better than I had initially thought they would be, and I'm very happy that many of the terrestrial plants were able to harden and thrive in the top part of the tank. Tom has a very traditional style Dutch which is simply amazing. I enjoy how he is able to replace species at his whim, and the tank never skips a beat. That tanks incredible talent and skill, and it is an honor to be considered even remotely close to him in terms of aptitude. I think that I still have quite a ways to go before I could really thought of in those terms, to be honest. But I do appreciate the compliment!

Thank you Meggane and Breakg! I'm glad that you both like you like it!

Mirv, I used TillyTak for most of them. It's a type of glue that is used to attach epiphyte type of plants to wood. You can use a glue gun, though. Others are just wedged into crevices or "nooks"; eventually, all of them will root directly into the wood, though it can take a little time. It is important to give them plenty of light, and not to over-water them. I can water mine daily, due to the amount of heat they get from being underneath my lights. Otherwise, they should be misted with tank water every few days. They require very little maintenance, and I really like them! Their flowers are extraordinary!

Trigger, I don't know. Some people get pretty stoked when they see it; others, don't really seem to be very enthused. Very broad range. Even fellow hobbyists that see it in person don't seem to be incredibly impressed, or maybe they're just holding back a bit. At least, nobody has told me that they hate it. LOL!!!

TDerivan-I don't think that similar wisdom can't be attained by anyone; I believe that any hobbyist could do something like this without too much of a problem. It does take some know-how and some experience, but my guess is that if you are in this (or a similar) hobby, then you probably have a good eye, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do something like this. Use some logic when putting it together, plan it out in your head, and learn to be flexible if things are going well, or if the plants aren't growing very nicely. Quite often, what the end results becomes is better than what you initially thought it was going to look like. It's certainly not "perfection," but I've enjoyed putting it together and learning from it. In some ways, it has exceeded my expectations, and in others, it didn't come close to meeting my expectations. But, it's been fun!

You know, Pirayaman, I do have HC in there, and it's just way too small. There is so much light that it simply hugs the substrate, and does not grow vertically at all. It's just too tiny!! lol! I'll try to snap a few pics of it and show you what I mean.

Sadly, this may be it for this journal thread here on this site. I may be removing it soon in favor of my own projects, though I can't be certain if or when that will happen. We will see how it goes!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #720
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Sorry AnotherHobby.....you must have posted right before I posted my response. Thank you for the kind words. Such a positive reaction to the system has been very humbling and too kind. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.