Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 47
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #691
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Thank you AquaAurora, for the "ooh's" and "ahh's"!

Nice eye, Josh! That is one of Jojo's awesome Rosanervig's. I thought that I would try it one last time. I've never seemed to be able to keep that specie alive, for some reason, in the past. So far, so good, though! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You bring up a point regarding the stone and such. I did do a massive trim several months ago in order to better see the Seriyu and smaller plant species, but since the top has filled in, it really looked odd. I had this full, luscious looking top part, and a skimpy looking bottom part, and I didn't care for it too much. In order to compensate, I would probably need another few hundred pounds of Seriyu to add and take the place of the stems, and I just don't want to do that. At least for now. I see where you are coming from, but it wouldn't look good overall.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #692
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Dude, this is the best it has ever looked. Not that it ever looked bad, but this is sweet man. Sorry for the dude + man + sweet lol, its my envy shining through all dude where's my car style.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #693
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

its so prettyyyy
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #694
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

There is so much raw natural beauty to this tank. See something new in every new pic you post, making me wish I could see the whole thing in person to try and soak it all in. (Probably would take a week though haha) Really hard to get a fish that could truly compliment or be a show stopper like the rest of the tank, but the fish do look happy and healthy.

Do you have any issues with insects from lush jungle you have growing above the water line. You should rename this "Crazydaz's Jewel in the MIST". There is not a plant or animal that does not look a happy in the glass cage you call an aquarium.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #695
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Lol! Thanks kwheeler! It was set up with that in mind, initially. I wanted to make a system that became easier to handle over time instead of harder. The stems always need a little work, but that doesn't take much time. It's easier to get thing to all peak at the right time. much easier than my last set up.

Hi Izabella! Thank you very much!

Thank you very much cgwinner. I appreciate it! There are a lot of things going on in the tank, and quite often, something sprouts up that seemingly comes from nowhere. It's an adventure for me too, which makes it fun. Which is the point.

I do have occasional insect issues, but most seem to be subsiding. I used to have aphids, which was really annoying, though the fish loved eating them. I started growing mint, which is a natural aphid repellent, and now, they are pretty much gone. I've seen the occasional ant from time to time, and the fruit flies can get annoying, but have also been subsiding since the late Fall. Just pests....nothing problematic though.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #696
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Absolutely gorgeous! How do you maintain the tank when you leave for a vacation or a long trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #697
skanderson
Algae Grower

as always the tank looks beautiful. not to nag but the pilularia is a close fern relative.
skanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #698
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Aqua! If my wife and I are gone for a trip, I will pay someone to come over every other day to water the plants on the branches, feed the fish, fertilize, and fill the water level back up. They also are there to take care of the cats as well. It works fairly well. If I'm away on business, my wife is fairly adept at taking care of the system. She doesn't put her hands into the tank, or remove the occasional dead fish, but she's pretty good otherwise!

Skandy--not only is the Pilularia a "close fern relative," it is actually a fern! It's a grassy looking fern, wouldn't you say?
Old 12-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #699
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
LICfish - thank you very much!! I'm happy that you like it. With the right lights and bulb combos, you can get some really nice results, assuming you have a decent substrate and fert schedule. Ample lighting is key!
Do you also think CO2 is a must have to achieve the colors? I've been reluctant and only use Excel.

I'm sure I won't get those colors no matter what I do though. I only have LEDs and they just don't have those colors. I'm trying to supplement with color LED light strips.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #700
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

If you have fast growing species (any stem plant), then pressurized CO2 is a must if you have bright lighting. Otherwise, they will starve themselves to death without an ample and ready supply of carbon. Excel is OK, but it still won't be enough to get stem plants into peak condition. If the lighting isn't strong enough, you won't be able to peak the colors either. Realize that none of these points say that you can't have a great looking tank, though. Simply, there will be some limits on what you can achieve. I suggest that if you aren't able to fiscally upgrade your equipment, then work with plants that will do well in your system, and come up with a nice layout. Instead of getting Ludwigia glandulosa x palustris like I have, get Ludwigia sp. "Red, " glandulosa, repens, or something similar. You don't have to have the best system with really exotic plants to create a really, really great looking tank, LICfish. A super setup could be something that you could work towards, or not, but see what works well in your tank as is.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #701
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

What a crazy, lush and wonderful tank!

This is giving me new inspiration for my next riparium build
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #702
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

holy crap that is gorgeous.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #703
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Always love looking through your thread! I'm really liking the submersed arrangement you have in the latest pictures, It looks like a scene from an undisturbed creek bed . . very natural, it doesn't look "assembled" as many hobbyist's layouts do.

Tell me, how much time do you spend observing this tank? Must be quite the in-home distraction !
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #704
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I recognize these pictures, didn't realize this was you however. I drooled over these pictures for well over an hour earlier today on the other site and now sitting here doing it again. To beautiful to believe really, all those plants... just stunning. I'd never get anything done if this was in my living room.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #705
Hippocampus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Seriously...all the color, texture, life, growth, variety are just STUNNING.

I love this setup!!!
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote