Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 42
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #616
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

cant tell you how much of an inspiration that tank is

do you have multiple tanks running? or is this your only one?

would be a lot of work to maintain that many gallons of water!

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #617
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Warned the eyes, it still happened... I may need a tissue... And you know you liked it Don

Your tank though... It's gorgeous, I say that all the time, but, it truly is!!! The colors, everything is intensely vibrant!!

In my current settings I doubt I could convince the wife to let me set up that kind of lighting, however.... Was going to order another led fixture... May have to be 2... Get 3 fixtures... I want... Color!!!

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #618
C kram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That sir is amazing! Great work!
C kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #619
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

How many Microdevario kubotai have survived? Also have they bred for you? Looking good.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #620
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very nice, you do have alot of bulbs on top. Have you ever considered led? Im thinking of getting from buildmyled. Im sure they would give you the same colours (in plants) since you can customize what colours you want.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #621
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hi Hambone! Thank you! I have one other tank that I've been tinkering with. It's an African Swamp type of set up, and small (30G long), and while the planted top portion looks pretty cool, the bottom aquatic portion really hasn't taken off. It's a lack of lighting, and it simply won't look very good until I can get some higher light in there. I may end up re-doing it. We'll see. My wife has been very good at putting up with the two set ups, and I will not try to push my luck. Two is enough for me.

Gary.....LOL!! That's awesome!!

I would start with two and see how it goes.....I can't really comment too much about the LED's; I have no direct experience with them, and couldn't tell you how many fixtures or LED's you would need to make a comparable set up. Not to mention the constant tweaking you are going to have to do with your ferts and CO2 for a month or two after the new set up. It can be a little frustrating, as going from 12 to 16 HO T5 bulbs caused algae issues for me that were pretty bad for a few months.

I think that it was worth it though. Before this set up, I never had a crypt throw a spathe; since the new lighting was set up at the end of January, I've had to different crypts throw spathes, which is pretty remarkable.

C kram---Thanks a bunch!

Fishboy--Thank you! Out of the 24 Microdevario that I had, I'm down to about 10 or 11 now. They're a pretty fish, but not incredibly long-lived. I've seen wigglers, but I don't know what they're from, and they're often quickly eaten in the tank. I might try something else in a few months.

Samee--Thank you! I did consider LED's when I was thinking about upgrading, and had asked around to some buddies about their opinions, including several that had them already. Something that expensive is worth asking around about. The general consensus was that it isn't worth the expense yet. The viewing spectrum is still just a little off, mostly having things look a bit too blue or green, or washed out. I wasn't thrilled about the pricing, so between the two reasons, I just opted to go with what I was already comfortable with. I have no regrets!! It is something that I would have to see "in person" in order to be convinced to go with LED's. I had read about some technology coming down the road that is supposed to be better than LED's, where the light generated almost perfectly reproduced natural sunlight, and could be used for aquariums. LED's "may" (emphasis) already be in jeopardy before they can really grab too much of this planted tank market.

That said, IF I had a reef tank, I would go LED all the way. But I don't.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #622
Xirxes
Algae Grower

16 30" T5HO's? that fixture has got to throw some heat! Putting out about 600 watts if they are 30", but it takes what it takes, your results are outstanding!

I have always loved the little atomizers for fog effect, i have one in our 2x2x4 crested gecko terrarium.

Amazing to see cryptocorynes so lush and loving the tank. Way to go.
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #623
ua hua
Suspended

PTrader: (49/100%)

Beautiful as always. There's not too many threads that I subscribe to in the journal section but this is one of those threads that I always love to see new pictures of. It is amazing to see the progression of your tank and this tank has the most beautiful colors ever. I'm really liking the micro sword foreground and the crypt metallic red. The crypt metallic red has been on my wtb list for some time but don't see it offered to often. Let me know when or if you ever have some you are willing to part with.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #624
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Xirxes--No, that's 16x48" HO T5 Bulbs. 864 watts. Yes, it does put out some heat, but the lights are hung and are about three feet about the water, so there isn't too much heat getting into the tank from the lighting. Thank you for the nice words, and I feel that the fixtures were worth getting. Especially since they were 2 for the price of 1.

The cool mist humidifier has been a really nice investment. It has really allowed a lot of the mosses and selaginellas to not only grow, but thrive in what otherwise be an impossible environment to live in.

The crypts have rebounded well, and the spathe has been a lot of fun to watch get bigger and bigger by the day. It's the second one that I've had in this tank, and I'm beginning to think that there is a connection between the crypt health and the UVL Red Sun bulbs that I have in the TEK's. They seem to really thrive with the longer wavelengths available provided by those bulbs. The Metallic Reds suffered by being choked out by the "true" dwarf sag, but as long as you keep them relatively clear of them, they seem to do great. I'll have to thin them out this week though.

Ua Hua--Thank you sir! That's a really nice thing to say, and I sincerely appreciate that! I could part with some of that Metallic Red this coming week or early next week, if you would like a couple.

That isn't microsword; it a type of Bucephalandra.....Bucephalandra "Kualakuayan 1" which started from about two 2" pieces last August. It actually grows fairly quickly for me, and should end up being a really nice foreground for me some day. In a few years....

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words again!!

A little GSA on the anubias leaves....no biggie, though.

TONS of Thread Leaf Java Fern! (and snails...tons of snails):

Nice shot of the top down into the tank:

Crypt Metallic Red has come back nicely!:

Left Side of the front of the tank:

Large Shot of the same area:

Right Side of the Front of the tank:

Top Down:
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #625
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is absolutely stunning. I have never seen anything like this before. Just from looking at one picture I can see that A LOT of time, effort, planning, and consideration has went into this project. Thank you very much for sharing this.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #626
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Beautiful!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #627
ua hua
Suspended

PTrader: (49/100%)

I was actually referring to the microsword on the front left side of your tank but I did wonder what the plant was that is next to the crypt metallic but you just answered that for me. Very nice. You are the first to see use buce for a foreground and it looks really good.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #628
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow that would be 10x better than a tv.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #629
hutch11
Planted Member

that is incredible... im speechless!!...congrats to you!
hutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #630
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Yeah, you can just go ahead and deliver that to my house. I can take it off your hands if its too much work.

I'm Jealous. Good work, as always.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote