Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 37
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #541
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Samee....yes, it will take a little while for the foreground to fill in. It's a slow growing species, which is why it is appealing to me.

I would love to hear your suggestions for red, terrestrial background plants that would survive in 25-35% humidity. I'm all ears, in fact. I have many different species of terrestrial plants, though they aren't as noticeable as the Tillandsia. I have several different mosses, Dischidia sp., creeping ficus, Neos, ferns, orchids, etc. as they are supposed to be tolerant of drier conditions. So, I'm limited by the fact that this isn't enclosed like a traditional vivarium, terrarium, or even riparium. As far as I'm aware, I don't have many other options open to me. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

The red plant that you are seeing is Alternanthera.

Last edited by crazydaz; 04-23-2013 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #542
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don, I think you need a swimming pool size tank for your next creation

You have so much variety in colours. Does light still go through with your floaters? How many pumps do you have?

May I see a pic of your nw setup? I'm still on the fence on it but still unsure of how to get around to doing it

Thank you for the photos, don! They're beautiful and inspiring as usual!

Sarah
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #543
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

The planting is looking fantastic! It is so different now that it has matured some more.

These are better pictures, too. Did you change camera settings? The color rendering seems much better.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #544
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Sarah---I would love to have a swimming pool sized freshwater tank like this. You couldn't drag out of it!

I have no light issues at all. I turned all pumps and filters "OFF" for these photos; when they are "ON," the current produced brings all of the floaters towards the center of the tank, and back by the manzy branches. So, there is no light blocking the cyrpts, sagittaria, foreground. Where the light is a bit dimmer, I have mostly anubia, mosses, buce's, taller plant species whose leaves are closer to the surface, and other plants that do fine with lower light levels. "Lower light" is a relative term; this tank has 16 bulbs at 54watts a piece, so even "shaded" areas still get a good amount of lighting. I like them alright, unlike some fellow hobbyists (cough, Samee, cough!), and though I expect them to remain in there for a while in present or lesser numbers, I hope to be able to remove most, or all, of them eventually. The roots are a bit distracting, but I need their nutrient absorbing powers!

I have two Korelia powerheads, FX5 filter, a pond pump for the CO2, a smaller pond pump for a UV sterilizer, and an in-tank UV sterilizer all moving water.

I'll PM you re: the NW. I'm happy that you like the pics, bud!

Devin: Thank you very much!! Yes, it really is looking quite a bit different than when I had first started this, and I expect it to look different still in another several months! Hopefully, it will look "better"! I had hoped for some faster growth from some of the species (ahem, creeping ficus species....) that I have on top, but it'll come around. The bottom/aquatic portion is turning out better than I had initially hoped for, and should like nice when the carpet gets a bit thicker. The trick will be to keep it thinned a bit around the crypt patches, but that won't be hard to do.

I adjusted the shutter speed a bit, but otherwise, I didn't really do much else when taking the shots. Oh wait! Actually, I did turn on all of the bulbs for these shots. The last set of pics from a few weeks ago, I only had on 4 or 8 bulbs, so that may have impacted the colors a bit.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #545
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

wait, ficus can do well in a riparium?
if thats the case, you have another candidate for a riparium bonsai, hydrophyte. i know ficus are excellent candidates for indoor bonsai, i was looking into getting one, but then decided i dont want to spend that much money.
sorry for the hijack crazydaz. but hey, maybe you wanna try bonsai-ing your ficus
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #546
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
wait, ficus can do well in a riparium?
if thats the case, you have another candidate for a riparium bonsai, hydrophyte. i know ficus are excellent candidates for indoor bonsai, i was looking into getting one, but then decided i dont want to spend that much money.
sorry for the hijack crazydaz. but hey, maybe you wanna try bonsai-ing your ficus
Ficus is a huge genus with something like 1,000 species. Some of them are swamp or riparian habitat trees, while others are not. There are some Ficus that grow in dry deserts. For trying as a riparium bonsai tree you'd want to use one of the water-associated species that can handle having its roots permanently submerged. I don't know if the real common F. benjamina that is used a lot for bonsai would work like this or not. I remember seeing really big Ficus trees growing right along the edges of rivers in Costa Rica, but I don't know what species they were.

I believe that Don planted the creeping Ficus as an epiphytic plant on one of those branches, not in the water.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #547
jczz1232
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Wow this great looking tank, wish to have something like that one day. Your electric bill must be very high with that fixture of yours :P
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #548
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

in the 2nd pic of the last series you posted, the way the rocks slope down from back to front, it just looks "real"... you did an awesome job with that.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #549
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Marko, Devin is right. I have a few type of ficus growing on my branches. The ones with the roots in the water are doing "so-so," but the ones kept on moist sphagnum and leaf litter are doing well. Minus the humidity, they just don't grow quickly. In reality, that's probably a good thing; it would just be one more plant to prune.

jczz1232--Thank you! You would be surprised.....the electric bill isn't that bad. The most any one set of bulbs is on for would be 8 hours. The new ballast types in these systems are pretty energy efficient, and as we just spent a BOATLOAD of money replacing two furnace+AC units in our home with high-efficiency Rheems, our electric bill should be lower than ever!!! (I'm crying on the inside, though....that was so expensive.....)

Damon--Thank you for the explanation! I enjoy hearing the logic behind a specific comment. The slope came together well, but it was a bit tricky getting the Seriyu stones to fit well. Even now, they are "balanced" but I wouldn't want to push my luck too much. I'm waiting for the aroids to bind things together and cement everything into place. The idea was to create a "riverbank feel" to it....not sure if it really looks like what I had envisioned, but I appreciate the compliment all the same, Sir!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #550
truong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I love the fog on top of the tank, it looks like the creek behind my backyard every morning when the sun comes out.
How do you deal with all that moisture? I have only two 40b tanks and i have to get a dehumidifier.
truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #551
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Truong, thank you very much! Makes me a little jealous of you! I would do anything to have a small creek in my back yard....maybe at the bottom of a small hill, to avoid any flooding. It must be beautiful. There's plenty of creeks where I am, but none that offer that type of convenience!

Really, there isn't any excessive moisture. We have forced air and gas heating, so it really dries the air in the house out, to the point where I was getting bloody nose issues. We just got a house humidifier to help this. I was losing about 6 quarts of water per day simply due to evaporation. So, there has been no moisture issue, and the cool-mist humidifier creating the fog was almost "necessary" just to keep the terrestrial plants in semi-good condition. It will be interesting to me to see if that changes moving forward since we added the humidifier for the house as well.

If anything, the plants will love it! As long as I don't get black mold, I'm fine with the extra humidity!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #552
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'm in the same boat with the humidity. It's so dry here that even with like... 10 tanks going right now I could still use a humidifier. I have to be careful doing water changes or maintenance because even plants like anubias will dry out and get really brittle if they're above water for more than a few minutes. I always have to keep a mister bottle handy.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #553
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

I hear you brother! I turn on the cool mist humidifier, ESPECIALLY during water changes. It's not too big of a deal....i'll just splash some water on any submersed leaves every couple of minutes. I haven't had an issue yet following that "procedure."
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #554
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
LOL! Thanks Gary for the unique compliment.

Toksyn--Thank you! Yes, the branch pictured has Hygrolon on it, and it has done exceedingly well for my purposes. The moss always grows so nicely on it!

Keith--Thank you, Sir! Lucky pics is all.

Marko! Thanks man! I was thinking about getting an SAE, but nobody has ever given me "true" SAE's in the past. Do you have a trusted source? Please let me know!

The neos, frustratingly enough, aren't doing well, and I'm not sure why. I can't tell if I am over-watering, under-water, under-fertilizing, over-lighting, etc. You have any suggestions? One has died....the leaves curled up on themselves and drooped. They seem to be the only plants not doing that well. Any pointers for me?

Truong---thank you for making time to read through the whole thing! I try to add a lot of pictures so it keeps it righteous. I appreciate that you like and your kind words mean a lot to me. Thank you for looking through this journal!

10Gallon---Thank you! Of course I don't mind....do what you want, and I hope it comes out looking great!! I'd like to see it when you're done!

The Manzy branches are wrapped in long fiber sphagnum moss, some areas have Hygrolon as a base. Of course, I've added leaves and other netted detritus to add to that for some nutrient value. Most plants have thrived, which I'm a little surprised at considering how dry it is in the house. I'll take it though!

Last set of pics. I yanked up that huge crypt (I'm calling in C. affinis "undulata" until I'm proven wrong....) in the center of the tank. It was a doozy getting it out, but after enough tearing and cursing, she came out alright. It really changed the look, so I'll have to re-do some stuff in there and take some more pics this week.

Pretty rare Ludwigia linearis:

Left Side:

Center:

Right:

One day u get back home and you realize this natural habitat is now habited by some snakes frogs n lizards
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #555
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
One day u get back home and you realize this natural habitat is now habited by some snakes frogs n lizards
one day he'll come home and realize i stole it.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote