Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 36
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #526
truong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I can't believe i just spent 1 and a half hour reading the journal but it's all worth it. Your tank gave me lots of inspiration. It's like you have a part of rain forest river in your living room. Beautiful yet natural.
truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #527
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Amazing tank as always. Your educated guess does make sense to me too. I'm going to use the manzanita I purchased to make a dry side like yours. To kind of create a area that looks like where a river collects twigs, leaves and other junk. But instead mine will be plants. if you don't mind me copying Lol. Did you use any sort of media for the pants to grow into or what?

Last edited by 10gallonplanted; 04-21-2013 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: g
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #528
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

LOL! Thanks Gary for the unique compliment.

Toksyn--Thank you! Yes, the branch pictured has Hygrolon on it, and it has done exceedingly well for my purposes. The moss always grows so nicely on it!

Keith--Thank you, Sir! Lucky pics is all.

Marko! Thanks man! I was thinking about getting an SAE, but nobody has ever given me "true" SAE's in the past. Do you have a trusted source? Please let me know!

The neos, frustratingly enough, aren't doing well, and I'm not sure why. I can't tell if I am over-watering, under-water, under-fertilizing, over-lighting, etc. You have any suggestions? One has died....the leaves curled up on themselves and drooped. They seem to be the only plants not doing that well. Any pointers for me?

Truong---thank you for making time to read through the whole thing! I try to add a lot of pictures so it keeps it righteous. I appreciate that you like and your kind words mean a lot to me. Thank you for looking through this journal!

10Gallon---Thank you! Of course I don't mind....do what you want, and I hope it comes out looking great!! I'd like to see it when you're done!

The Manzy branches are wrapped in long fiber sphagnum moss, some areas have Hygrolon as a base. Of course, I've added leaves and other netted detritus to add to that for some nutrient value. Most plants have thrived, which I'm a little surprised at considering how dry it is in the house. I'll take it though!

Last set of pics. I yanked up that huge crypt (I'm calling in C. affinis "undulata" until I'm proven wrong....) in the center of the tank. It was a doozy getting it out, but after enough tearing and cursing, she came out alright. It really changed the look, so I'll have to re-do some stuff in there and take some more pics this week.

Pretty rare Ludwigia linearis:

Left Side:

Center:

Right:

Last edited by crazydaz; 04-21-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #529
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

thats odd, they do really well for me and i do nothing special.
how did it die on you? did the leaves yellow or dry up or what?
i just keep em planted in miracle grow orchid mix and keep the cups filled as much as i can (sometimes they go empty, but not often), and add water to the soil when it dries out. they are in a south facing window.
i can send you another one to replace the dead one, but first try and save the second so you know youve fixed the issue.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #530
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

No, they just curled up length-wise and shrank. It was strange. I thought that I might have over-watered them, but due to the warmth the lights put out, they may have dried up?

Also, they were just "wedged" into cracks of the branches......do they have to be planted or on LFS to do best? It would explain why the ones I have on the sphagnum peat are doing considerably better than the ones that are simply wedge into cracks and holes.

What do you think?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #531
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i would plant them. bromeliads dont need much soil, but most do prefer some. if they were tillandsia, then id say just wedge them, but neoregelia can use their roots for water and nutrient intake. my neos have been growing considerably faster since i took them out of coconut fiber and put them in the miracle grow.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #532
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

That will be a challenge for me, as I do not have a way of adding soil to this set up. But, I'll put them on the LFS that has some leaf litter mixed it, and I'll see it it improve anything. I'll keep you posted, Marko. Thank you for the tips!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #533
caliherp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm really surprised your Neo's are giving you problems. I would have thought you would have problems with your Tillandsia's before your Neo's. I have a feeling it is due to a lack of water. IME Tillandsia's would be the first to rot if over watered. I am growing Neoregelia's in manny different conditions.(in terrariums, windowsills, and outside) there are quite a few that never have been fertilized that grow well for me and have great color. I have some that get daily mistings, I also have some that rarely get misted. I've only had a few rot on me. One because of to much heat, and the other because of to much heat and moisture. Do you use RO to water them. They could be building up gunk(for lack of a better word) in there cups. I flush mine out once a week if I remember to keep impurities from building up. I hope this helps a little.

Regards, Patrick
caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #534
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
No, they just curled up length-wise and shrank. It was strange. I thought that I might have over-watered them, but due to the warmth the lights put out, they may have dried up?

Also, they were just "wedged" into cracks of the branches......do they have to be planted or on LFS to do best? It would explain why the ones I have on the sphagnum peat are doing considerably better than the ones that are simply wedge into cracks and holes.

What do you think?
That sounds like they are drying up. Were the cups filled?

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #535
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

i think the side view is my favorite
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #536
Plantnerd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The terrestial broms aside I don't find the arboreal ones need or want alot of water on their roots. I have some that i have not once watered besides in their cups/leafs.
I suspect your neos are dieing from having their roots/plant base being to wet.
I doubt it is the lights since people often place them in at upper parts of their vivs.
Plantnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #537
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thank you Damon!! Why, out of curiosity, is the side view your favorite? Just a better pic to you, or is it something particular?

Plantnerd--I don't over-water, in my opinion, and I know it isn't the lighting. I'm suspected that since I dry-mounted most of the neos that they aren't getting enough water where they probably need it the most. I had been watering the neos in their cups about once a week, but unlike a brom, apparently they need moisture on the roots as well, which I wasn't aware of. So, I would tend to agree more with Toksyn, Caliherp, and Marko that they aren't getting enough water.

Only one way to find out, right? Thanks all for the help! I'll move the Neo's to better spots and try increasing the moisture more, and see if that helps.

Otherwise, maybe they are getting too much water and Plantnerd's right! lol!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #538
Plantnerd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would rather suggest you watered/misted the leafs/cups more. In vivs these things often gets misted twice a day
Your tale just reminded me of some vriesea where I in the beginning mistakenly misted the roots aswell as the leafs. The leafs would curl up and die. If the sphagnum around the neos roots is constantly wet or moist that could be the cause.
Plantnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #539
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Plantnerd! You may end up being right! I'm a little bummed about the neo's, and I'm a bit surprised that they, of all the plants that I have in there, seem to be the one's that aren't faring particularly well. Everything else is thriving quite well, minus a species here or there.

I did say that this was a bit of an experiment.....and I didn't expect everything to live. Why did it have to be the neo's though? lol!

Let's see what happens when I up the water!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #540
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yuk floaters!!!

Your foreground carpet needs time, I want to see lush dark green!!

Your background, out of water plants need more variety and reds.

I will get to ur lvl someday.

EDIT: I see a killer pink thing on the most left, what iz it? I love it.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote