Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated w/NEW PICS 2/15/14 - Page 28
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #406
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Joshua--Well, thank you very much for the kind words!! I'll be on the lookout for your forthcoming journal, then!! What type of crypts are you going to use? More common ones, or more of the rare species?

More common ones to start although I do plan on getting some nurii, some rosanervig, and flamingo's been on my list for a long time. I'd also love some aponogetifolia. Soo many to think of haha. Ill probably start common and head in that direction eventually. Those new buce plants look kinda cool too. We will see! Maybe Ill buy some of your buce babes if they grow enough
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #407
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Good luck getting that Flamingo, Josh....I've been looking for a viable way to get it as well for months and months....nurii isn't all that challenging....I would probably get some of that along with some of the "common" ones, which are equally as nice. Green Gecko and Florida Sunset are all really nice crypts; I really like red wendtii as well.

We'll see how the buce's turn out. They are growing at a faster rate now, and I'm hoping that I can just leave them alone for a while and just let them grow out and fill in. They seem to do better if you let them do their thing instead of splitting them apart. Should have plenty of clippings....eventually.

Here are some cool shots of my Ant Plant that bloomed for me on Friday morning; it has a neat flower!:

Here's a nice pic of it that I took with my iPhone last night:

Also, my Ludwigia alata has sent a runner....very weird! I'll try to get better shots of it tomorrow after I turn of the pumps and filters:

First, this is Ludwigia alata, for those who aren't familiar with it:

Here is the runner going across my Seriyu stone:
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #408
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Nice job growing that stuff Don!

That bloom looks like a Cirrhopetalum/Bulbophyllum orchid, not an ant plant.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #409
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Quote:
First, this is Ludwigia alata, for those who aren't familiar with it:
One of my favorites! Looks awesome.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #410
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I'm sorry, HD. Were you born on some distant planet? This looks Plain Jane to you?:

Beautiful!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #411
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Spathed-Out, Man! 2/21/13

I seriously could look at this tank for hours... I love the close up photos, the lighting the fog it's like i am getting a close up look to some kind of Amazon jungle!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #412
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Devin, you are right....it is a Bulbophyllum orchid. It has sent the flower out and had intertwined itself amongst the leaves of the ant plant. See? I still have PLENTY to learn! Thanks for the correction!!! I guess my orchids HAVE flowered for me now! lol!

Thanks Philip! It's really taking off....never seen it creep and throw a runner before! Cool stuff!

Saxtonhill! That's not mine! I wish! That's what I want!!!

Thank you as always, NWA Planted! I love cranking that mist up in the morning and watching it pour over the sides of the tank. I don't usually go that high, as it does run through a solid two gallons of water in a day, which is a bit much. But, it does help the plants and certainly adds an element of ambiance to the set up!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #413
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I agree. I could go through hours staring at your tank, Don. So peaceful, so colourful and serene. I love the close up photos!

Do you think you'll venture into other bulbs? I'm wondering if getting a ge starcoat would help my colours pop a bit more. Or any other bulbs, really.
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #414
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks buddy!! Your system has really perked up quite a bit! Very nice job...you should be proud of your persistence!

As "luck" would have it, one of my Giesemann's burned out, and I do plan on taking Tom's advice and trying a Starcoat to replace it. Why not, you know? . I do like my Giesemann's but it's worth trying out a different white. I will see how that goes.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #415
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Here's that Ludwigia alata runner I had mentioned. To me, this is pretty cool...I've never known a Ludwigia species to throw a runner before.

Here's a pic of my Cobalt Blue....I need to try to get some Macro shots of him tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #416
flwrbed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Post #410 is crazy cool.

Where do we get those. Is that the "flamingo"

Who owns that?
Nicon Pimp Club Member #28
flwrbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #417
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

That is the Flamingo, in theory. There don't seem to be too many pictures of it online, and it isn't available commercially in the United States. All specimens that come in from overseas are in tissue culture gels, and the plants hardly ever make it. The ones that do are incredibly small and petite, and look nothing like the picture above. It may be a doctored photo....I've only seen very few pictures that look "legit" to me. I think that it comes from stores in Germany....but Tropica may offer it by now.

You want them? You better get ready to pony up the cash! There is one seller that will ship here, but only in bulk quantities. I was in on a deal for it last year in a group buy; spent about $100 and got nothing. Most plants died in transit, and the ones that remained slightly alive were kept by the arranger of the deal. Worked out pretty nice for him, I guess.

By the way, that spathe still has not melted yet!! Although, I expect that it will. It has gotten any taller from what I can tell, and I think that'll be the end of the story this time.

Last edited by crazydaz; 02-26-2013 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #418
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
That is the Flamingo, in theory. There don't seem to be too many pictures of it online, and it isn't available commercially in the United States. All specimens that come in from overseas are in tissue culture gels, and the plants hardly ever make it. The ones that do are incredibly small and petite, and look nothing like the picture above. It may be a doctored photo....I've only seen very few pictures that look "legit" to me. I think that it comes from stores in Germany....but Tropica may offer it by now.

You want them? You better get ready to pony up the cash! There is one seller that will ship here, but only in bulk quantities. I was in on a deal for it last year in a group buy; spent about $100 and got nothing. Most plants died in transit, and the ones that remained slightly alive were kept by the arranger of the deal. Worked out pretty nice for him, I guess.

By the way, that spathe still has not melted yet!! Although, I expect that it will. It has gotten any taller from what I can tell, and I think that'll be the end of the story this time.
That particular picture of C. cordata (?) "Flamingo" has several variants on the web, with different amounts of color correction. It's hard to say what the actual plant looks like, and it's already hard to know what "actual colors" are with Cryptocorynes anyway. With that said, I want to give it a shot and will probably be in the next wave attempting it.

Tank is looking great as always!

I was curious about your "ant plant bloom" as well, it definitely looked like a Bulbophyllum when I first saw it.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #419
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Yes, yes....like I admitted, I still have much to learn both above and below the waterline. maybe a little more above than below it. The flower had intertwined itself around the ant plant, and I'd also in the very middle of the tank, so without a step stool to trace the flower back to the orchid, from what I could tell it was originating from the the ant plant.

Please go for it, Dev! I hope that you guys are successful this time around and can start spreading this species around. The color seems to be relatively true "flamingo pink," but it's the size that has always been a little disappointing. Most seem to get as big as a quarter, or so.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #420
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

It's been a little while, so I've taken EXTRA pictures!

Not much to report. I'm trying to slowly get rid of the Staurogyne in favor of letting the true dwarf Sagittaria take over as the foreground. I will also likely need to get some floaters again. The amount of light is great, but I'm starting to get GSA on my crypts and buces; I'll need something to shade the bottom a bit.

Also, I'm currently having the backgrounds made for my tanks. Once that is done, I should be able to start a new journal for the other tank I have going on. The purpose of the backgrounds is to hide the lighting cords. I can't "stands" them anymore.

I'll add pics over the course of a few days. Thanks for looking and feel free to comment of make suggestions!

Front, bottom Only:

Right Oblique:

Hygro corymbosa flower....just for you, Devin!:

Left Side:

Closer:

...and Closer:

"Bario" patch, Anubia, and Buce Emerald Carpet....you can see the GSA issues:

....especially on the Anubias nana:

Metallic Red patch recovering....:

Macro of a flower from one of my Tillandsia:

Top Left Side:

Closer in:

Nice picture of the Floscopa scandens and Ludwigia grandulosa x palustris hybrid:

Nice shot of the whole system:

That's it for now. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.