Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 22
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #316
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Thanks a bunch 11f150. We could meet up at AC...you should think about joining up with TankOutlaws.com; we're arranging for a meeting up in Clarksville sometime in March. Would be great to see you!
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #317
11f150
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Thanks a bunch 11f150. We could meet up at AC...you should think about joining up with TankOutlaws.com; we're arranging for a meeting up in Clarksville sometime in March. Would be great to see you!
I joined tankoutlaws back in December and just have looked around a bit. Ill post more on there and probably start a build thread. Im on MTRC right now with my thread, just have to decide if I want to have 2 going lol
11f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #318
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

im still mad you tore down the first tank.
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #319
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

what is the ground cover (low red plant) in the original tank. man that has to be one of the best looking tanks i ever saw. a true master
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #320
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Only two threads going? THAT'S NOTHING, 11f150!!

Pirayaman--If you had to keep my schedule, you would understand why I decided to go with a lower maintenance tank, bro! 8hr maintenance days?? Come on! I want a hobby, not another job! And I still think that this current set up will be superior to the last set up.

The foreground was Rotala mexicana "goias." Not many people can get it to look like that. (Sometimes you do have to pat yourself on the back!)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #321
whitepapagold
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Everytime I see this tank I wish I could grow out of the water on mine...

Just awesome!

Im with you on the low maintenance reality... I barely want to feed the fish or change the water... Let alone trim the plants!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #322
11f150
Algae Grower

Quote:
Only two threads going? THAT'S NOTHING, 11f150!!

haha yeah I know some people have like alot going on. I did make a thread the other day on tankoutlaws
11f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #323
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ7b0pdBseQ

This is best viewed in HD 1080 and maximize the screen, if you want to.

I was able to rig a cool mist humidifier with a piece of PVC from the emitter, from there, I connected a piece of tubing that led from the PVC "outlet" up the back of the tank, and connect the other end to an open-ended spray bar that I wasn't using. I connected the spray bar to a piece of Manzanita wood in order to hide it the spray bar/equipment. Due to the high amount of growth from Hydrophyte77's riparium planters, it is difficult to see ANY equipment in the back of the tank.

I decided to do this to help increase the humidity levels a bit and stimulate some more moss and plant growth above the water.....we'll see if it has any impact.

The idea for this came from Ibacha on TPT.net, who got the idea for it from another user.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #324
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:

I was able to rig a cool mist humidifier with a piece of PVC from the emitter, from there, I connected a piece of tubing that led from the PVC "outlet" up the back of the tank, and connect the other end to an open-ended spray bar that I wasn't using. I connected the spray bar to a piece of Manzanita wood in order to hide it the spray bar/equipment. Due to the high amount of growth from Hydrophyte77's riparium planters, it is difficult to see ANY equipment in the back of the tank.

I decided to do this to help increase the humidity levels a bit and stimulate some more moss and plant growth above the water.....we'll see if it has any impact.

The idea for this came from Ibacha on TPT.net, who got the idea for it from another user.
OMG love it!!!!! That humidifier setup is absolutely sweet!!!

Have tolet us know how it works!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #325
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Very,VERY cool Don! It just gets better and better nice job!!
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #326
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

it looks REALLY cool.
however, i wouldnt leave it on all the time. i believe some tillandsias dont like too high humidity.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #327
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Now this tank has a lil "je ne sais quoi" of sleepy hollow ambiance I like how artistic this all is !!
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #328
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Gary--Thanks!! I will keep you all posted on what happens over the next month or so. I'm hoping for some good things. The placement of the "out spout" is as good as I can get: not too high where it would negatively impact the Tillandsia; not too low where it would be useless to some of the other tropical species, such as the ficus, the vines, and some of the emergents that are either present....or will be present....

Bill--Thank you! And thank you for your help with this. I knew that Lenny had done this before in his tank with GREAT results, but I wasn't sure of the humidifier he had used. You nailed it, perfectly! Not sure if Grimm used the same one or not. But, it works great, at least for the effect!

Thanks Marko!! Yeah, I am kinda blasting it right now because I'm uber excited about it. I think that the plan I have is to have it come on each day four times for about an hour or so: once about an hour after all the lights have come on; once about 2/3's the way through the day, once right after the lights turn off, and once a few hours after that. The outlet for the mist is not too high up in the set up, and falls immediately to cascade over some of the tropical species, and there isn't much in the way of Tillandsia getting the direct effect. It's really dry in this house, and I don't imagine that this will raise the humidity much more than a few % at the height where the Tilly's are. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip, though!!!

Thanks Izabella! It adds an element of mystery to it.....not sure if I can say I planned it to be that way. You have better eyes and creativity than I do!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #329
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

your explanation has me less worried for the tillies now, but it does ring a bell when you talk about turning it on after lights out. most sources say houseplants and terrariums should be misted in the morning, not evening, since it takes longer for the water to evaporate off the plant in the evening, and that increases the chance of rot. i dont know how significant that effect will be with a humidifier vs a squirt bottle though. just sharing my thoughts on the subject.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #330
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

YES!! THANK YOU, Marko!! I remember that to, now....same thing with your lawn at your house!! Water in the morning, or something? It makes sense! I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I start using the timer. Thank YOU for sharing!!