Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Good looking start so far. I will be looking forward to the progress of this new setup. I understand you wanting to try something new with this setup as it can be real easy to get bored with this hobby if you don't try new things and challenge yourself. Have you thought about trying some other varieties of anubias such as coffeefolia or hastifolia. I think the anubias hastifolia would look really cool coming up out of the tank as they can get huge.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I have coffeefolia in there....it is part of the original clone that I received from TexGal,. who got it from a long-time hobbyist who posts mostly on APC. I think that I have gracilis, nana gold, lancelota, and nana petite, and probably others in there. Plenty of Nana though, huh? It does pretty much demand your attention!

I am hoping that I can get some emergent growth out of those guys! It's surprisingly tricky though; the leaves are surprisingly fragile out of water.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

"The beginning of it starts at the end"
- Tom Waits
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Every dawn brings a new day, Frank.....just like how this next set of pictures is from Day 2, one day after the move and initial set up....or "September 25th, 2012". Nice segue, right?

Though still a bit hazy, the tank did a great job of clearing up overnight, as you would expect. The MTS's don't seem to be a fan of the substrate yet, but I would imagine that as time goes on, and the substrate comes a bit more mixed together (whether I want it to or not), they retreat back under. Kinda stinks that they are running around on top of the substrate, but that's life.

As I had indicated in my last Journal, I did end up keeping my slow growing stems, such as the Ludwigia alata, Amnannia latifolia, and some Alternanthera sp. "Variegated." These stems are out in the open, and NOT in their "final" placement. Likely won't be for a little while yet. I know that they look a little out of place growing up in the middle of the tank, but they'll be moved.

I also kept a bunch of faster growing stems, mostly floaters and hygros, to help with excessive nutrient loads. My last tank became algae ridden for a good two months simply because I "under-plated" the set up. Eventually the hygros will go as well as the RRF. I will keep the Hygroriza aristata as it is a bit more "authentic" to the theme of the tank.

I also kept a stem of Nesaea crassicaulis to give me a good indication of the water conditions. Yes....it looks strange just sitting there out in the middle of the scape....but it's serving a good purpose right now. That, too, will be "offed" once I'm a little more certain of the conditions of the scape and that the tank has settled and matured.

Will have another set of pictures tomorrow!

Left side...you can see the haziness still, but you are also looking through four feet of water, too:

From the left side, looking "into" the tank, you can see that it is clearing up fairly well:

Left Oblique:

Same angle, just zoomed out so you can see the stand and lighting. Again, it is about 28" from the bulbs to the water's surface. It's quite nice to be able to include the stand now, and not be embarrassed by the warping or bubbling:

Front shot, head on:

A bit further out:

All the way zoomed out to view the full set up:

Right oblique shot:

Shot of the right Front side of the tank...I added Thread-leaved Java fern that day:

....and some Orange shrimp too:

One of my favorite shots! I had no idea that I had so much bullosa "Bario" until I had to dig it up! I separated it into all of this.....I have about 7 separate plants growing nicely. From left to right on the substrate in this pic....it's all bullosa "Bario"!

More pics tomorrow! Thanks for looking!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

whats that pink plant between the threadleaf java ferns.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Don - as much as I've looked at you tank I really never noticed the corner braces. How thickish the glass 3/8" or 1/2"?

What Anubuis Sp do you have now?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #22
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Between the thread leaf java fern? With the flowers? That would be buccephelandra sp. "super blue." If you are referring to the bright pink plant in the picture, that is Alternanthera sp. "variegated."
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #23
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hey Frank! It's 3/8". Anubia species that I have in there, that I can recall off hand are: gracilis, gasser, nana, nana "gold," lancelota, nana "petite," and coffeefolia.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #24
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, looks great already! Love how on the first day of moving you set up a 200 gallon tank. :p

Tank journal, please visit and give advise
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
-Tapatalk
RAOK Club #31

The Fraternity of Dirt #96

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

My tanks-->http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
Robotponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Don, I'm just starting to get into Anubias myself. I'm sure the A. gracilis & gasser will eventually break the surface and really show well for you.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #26
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

you can do it! thats a great start
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #27
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks like your restart is going to fill in great.
The Fts before your move was awesome.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Obakemono
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Don,
Looking good there!! BTW, how do you like the FX5? I think I have settled on my hardscape for the tank now, just working out details in the filter/reactor area before I buy anything.
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm subscribed!

Missed the journey last time! I'm excited to watch the new tank grow and develop into, I'm sure, a beautiful piece of indoor fish heaven!
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Robotpony--Thank you! We had been moving small things over since the close on the house, and we had to get that tank out of there over a weekend where I had time to focus "only" on the tank....the following weekend would have been too chaotic as we would have had to do all of the tank stuff in addition to moving furniture, getting one house set up and the other one cleaned, and so on. Too much!!

Frank, I might be able to trade with you in a few weeks for some crypts, if you want some gasser and gracilis. PM me!

Izabella--Thank you! I can do it!! What other option is there? I'm a big fan of your different set ups, btw.

Chaoslord--The bar has been set high from that last tank, and won't have the same array of colorful stems as my former set up....so the challenge is to use different textures and focal points with the hardscape in order to (hopefully) surpass the last scape. It will take some time. Thank you for the compliment!

Obakemono! I love the FX5! It's adjustable in terms of flow, and an all-in-one filter and powerhead. No worries ever about filtration or flow using this beast! I had it when it first came out several years ago, and should have stayed with it instead of trying Ehiems. How would you connect this to a reactor, though? I'm using a different method via needle wheel pump to do my CO2, mainly because I couldn't think of a feasible way to connect a reactor to the outflow hose. Do tell!!

Jiinx! You just want more plants, is all. Quit trying to butter me up!

New pics after dinner tonight!