Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated w/NEW PICS 2/15/14 - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #226
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

that tank looks more and more fantastic with every post.
you know, ive never been a crypt person, but you have some pretty nice specimens. whats that plant youre using as a foreground. its growing in very nicely.

the neo looks infinitely better in those branches than in the plastic pot it was in.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #227
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Beautiful, don. I love how you have the best of both worlds! Hope your hair thread disappears!!
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #228
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Looking good! I really wish you got Neo. Domino or something. I'm growing a few now and might be able to spare you a pup or something in the future. I've also got some materials that might work better for you in the long run on the branches. Let me know if you're interested

Tank looks better and better!

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #229
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Marko--Thanks for the brom, bro! I think that you are looking at the Crypt affinis Metallic Red. It's a rockstar....such pretty reds, and just wait until I can start dosing like normal again and get my new lighting up. IF you are talking about the GREEN plants in the foreground, that is just some pretty nice Staurogyne repens that I got in on Monday from Tony (Antbug). He went above and beyond what I paid for. It was almost like getting an instant foreground!

Thanks Sarah! I do have some good starts both above and below the water! The hair algae is an annoyance, and will hopefully disappear now that my flow has been increased and the CO2 mist is going again. The silcates in the water column will eventually decrease too with the water changes.

Toksyn--Thank you! I would love a pup of it, if I can wait that long! I would be very interested in the materials you allude to, and I'll contact you about it!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #230
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Are you using straight sand with root tabs? Ive been thinking about getting sand with a lighter color to pop the plants colors better and match the stones I collected for my new scape. Back to ferns and moss and crypts, lost all of my stems except like 3 L. Brevipes x lacustris do to forgetfulness and stupidity. Left them sit in a bowl waaaayyyy too long without a good rinse after an h2o2 dip trying to fix my neglect of the tank, thus ruining hundreds of stems sorry didnt mean to ramble lol
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #231
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

No, no! The substrate for bottom to top is made of kitty litter, then MTS, then regular play sand cap. I do have root tabs added throughout as well. I also wanted to pop the colors, but it ended up looking lighter than I had wanted it to. Oh well!

Stinks to hear about your plants!! If I still had stems I'd be happy to RAOK them to you. I'm getting plenty of Hygro tiger growing, if you would like any!! Let me know!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #232
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

ya know Don. it's starting to get there. but i think you're c. 'keei' look a little crowded. i would be more than happy to take a few off your hands...lol and umm, where are the flush cut wood ends? i miss them already

looks amazing. truly a piece of art. is there anyone on the forum who hasn't contributed to this tank??LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #233
octavusprime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Amazingly complex tank yet avoids the cluttered look. Very impressed. I really like your use of leaf litter. Adds great depth and texture.
octavusprime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #234
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Once again i am amazed by the update! the stone looks great everything is growing very nice.
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #235
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
No, no! The substrate for bottom to top is made of kitty litter, then MTS, then regular play sand cap. I do have root tabs added throughout as well. I also wanted to pop the colors, but it ended up looking lighter than I had wanted it to. Oh well!

Stinks to hear about your plants!! If I still had stems I'd be happy to RAOK them to you. I'm getting plenty of Hygro tiger growing, if you would like any!! Let me know!
Oh I see

I may take you up on that in the future but im so broke I couldnt even cover shipping lol, unemployment + baby=not fun. Just finished rescaping with what i have left, crypts, some raggity lookin nljf, fissidens on wood, and rocks. Gonna see how it grows out and go from there. Im not staying where my tank is so its probably for the best I stick with slow growers for the moment anyway.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #236
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Oh, I have keei, Bill, but it is tiny and on the other side of the tank. You may be referring to the Red Metallic or the C. bullosa Bario? I would be happy to give you some or trade you for some. The keei will be ready in a few months.

I cut those flush ends just for you, bro!! Lol!!

Thanks! It's coming along nicely, especially considering the circumstances re: the UV Sterilizer and CO2 issues. Most of your big names have their plants or products displayed in here. But, I bought them and loved them!! I will have to make a list of the people that have made their influence felt in this system. Including you, William!

Octavus--- Thank you!! Many thanks!! The Oak leaves are nice, and provide a nice snack for my shrimp and the Stiphodon species in there. I have Indian Alamond Leaves en route to see if those might be better, but likely it won't matter much. I think it ties the system together fairly well.

Thanks Marioman!! I added the last of the stone this past week. To be honest, I probably should have taken it all out, and re-done the stacking job, but I think that, given time, it should look nicer when the various aroids take hold and start growing and spreading onto the rocks. It's ok for now. If it doesn't , I can always change it later!

Kwheeler---If you can wait until after New Years, I'll be happy to send you some of the various hygros that I have for free. I'll take care of the shipping too. Sound good?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #237
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

I got nothin but time bro and I would appreciate that a lot.

What species of stiphodon do you have? I have a solitary stiphodon elegans, just happens to be my favorite fish in the tank.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #238
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

duh....i was talking about the Bario. so many plant species going through my head lately that i can't tell the difference between pennywort and penny marshall. LOL

and i was just busting your stones, bud. seems like every update, you're thanking yet someone else!!! but really, that just goes to show what a great member base we have here
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #239
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Kwheeler-- ok! Send me a reminder after the New Year to remind me, ok? Oh, and I have Colbalt Blues.....at least that's what they're supposed to be. Most are brownish, and one has a slight metallic stripe. But, I hardly see them at all, and when I do, they just kind of "flit" around for a minute or two, and then disappear again. I thought that they were supposed to be fairly gregarious, but not so much I guess.

Bill--- I give credit where credit is due! It's been a lot of fun for me, but I am indebted to quite a few people for selling/trading with me so I can the materials I need for the setup.

I could trade something with you for the Bario. I think that I owe you a buce clipping, too! These are from one plant that I bought from Xue about 8 months ago, if you can believe that!!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #240
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is an amazing tank, amazing setup and an amazing addition to a house. Amazing enough?

Crazydaz, I saw that you mentioned Excel and crypts - in a "STAY AWAY" sort of manner.

I'm currently dosing excel in my 5G that has nothing but a few crypts right now. Is this pretty much anecdotal science that Excel ruins crypts? I haven't been dosing long enough to really tell (only 2 doses thus far).

Anyways, didn't mean to distract from this great journal!
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.