Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 12/7/14 NEW PICS!! - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #211
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i wonder if Don is willing to rent me the room beneath his tank? it looks more spacious than my old apartment! :O

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #212
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Thank you Izabella!! It's nice to have a room in the new house that is finally almost done!

Oliver, thank you for the compliment and for looking!

Maiyah--We thought about getting the ottomans, but that would have been a bit too much....there just wouldn't have been any room to walk through. We also checked LazyBoy for some recliners as well, but because we would have had to pull the chairs out a bit to recline them, we would have had the same issue. So, we opted for a simple, clean look. The chairs are for sitting and looking, and not for sleeping in which is fine. Don't want guests getting any ideas, such as "never leaving."

Lol! Ryan, where do you think all the equipment is stored to run this thing?? Not as spacious as you might think, although, I don't know how it compares to the apts. in NYC.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #213
Obakemono
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tank is lookin' good there Don!! Sadly to say my dream tank is on hold until further notice due to the threat of job cutbacks in the DOD (my employer) but my 56 is doing good right now.
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #214
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Keith--Thank you, buddy! It very nice to have your support, and I hope that you can find this thread useful and/or enjoyable! And, if you hate it, I would expect that you would tell me that as well!!

Don, the one thing I hate about your thread is that it makes my tank look like child's play lol..... Really, you are a very good 'artist' + 'farmer' + 'landscaper' all combined in one.Your journals have always provided plenty of opportunities for me to learn and absorb.

When you coming to Lexington bro?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #215
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Obakemono--Oh, man! That's hard to hear! Yeah, you will have to put your dream tank to the side for a bit! I hope that the cuts at the DOD don't directly impact you! Keep me posted....would it be easy for you to switch to the private sector relatively easily, or not?

Keith! I good at "tinkering." I've also been involved in this hobby for the better part of a dozen years, and I'm willing to keep learning and taking another step beyond what the last tank set up was. As long as you keep it fun for yourself, that's all that really matters, you know? Absorb away!!

Looks like it will probably be mid or late January at this point. I'm trying to get to Alabama next week, and then I think that I'll be done with my business trips for the year. When does UK start back up again in January??
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #216
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Looks like it will probably be mid or late January at this point. I'm trying to get to Alabama next week, and then I think that I'll be done with my business trips for the year. When does UK start back up again in January??
UK starts Jan 9. I may not be in town begining of feb. Otherwise, feel free to give me a call.

Have a question for you. have you ever had green water in your tank before? I was trying to make my kompakt happy by overdosing with K and ended up with green water. It just doesn't go away after that! Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #217
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Right on! Thanks Keith!

Regarding your question: Your best bet is to do a 50% water water change, and do a black out for 4-5 days, followed by another 50% water change. This should reset your water column, and get rid of the green water. I use a UV sterilizer, but the few times I've had green water, without the UV sterilizer, the only way to get rid of it was to do a the black out.

If you have a smaller tank, this should be too hard to do....just turn of the lights and drape an old blanket or two over it. Make sure that NO light can get into the tank at all!

Your fish will be fine, and your plants will recover quickly as well from the blackout period!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #218
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

ummm......any updates there Don??? did you ever "fix" the cut branches???
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #219
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

and considering your new avatar and sig, i expect to see xmas lights on the tank dang nabit!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #220
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

William....I do not have any Christmas lights on my tank. Plenty of red and green colors, though!

I did "fix" the cut branches....it created an absolute mess, but I think that I did an OK job. I took a hand pruner, and cut along the grain. It took a while of crunching, snapping, gouging, ripping, and so on, but I was able to make them look more realistic, I guess. Luckily, I have powerful hands.

So, as one problem has been resolved, another sprang up to take it's place. I'm going to have to empty out and clean my CO2 needle wheel pump and tubing. Had a couple of snails that somehow managed to get inside and clog my pump. I would estimate that this happened probably a few weeks ago, judging from the sound the pump has been making. At first, I thought it was just the vibration from the pump. I checked the flow today, and I'm barely getting anything out of it. It could explain most of the algae issues that I've been having lately. Last two or three weeks, it's been "strangely hair algae-fied." BINGO! No CO2 is really getting put into the tank.

So, tomorrow will be full of damp towels, dripping water, cutting hose lines, and plenty of cursing. I'm not looking forward to it. I wish SOMEONE would invent some sort of device where you have retractable inlets and outlets leading from a needle wheel pump with an optional UV sterilizer, where all I would have to do would be to hook it up to my CO2 tank, attach the inlet and outlet where I wanted them to go, and plug it in. I have the WORST mechanical mind you could imagine. WHERE'S IZABELLA WHEN I NEED HER???!!!?!?!?!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #221
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

dude....that sucks. sounds like all you need is some tubing a few quick disconnects and a couple valves. easy peasy lemon squeezy.....LOL actually, i have no idea what your needle wheel pump looks like, never used one. send me pics via pm and maybe i can wrap my defective brain around it for ya.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #222
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

The needle wheel refers to the type of impeller with the pump housing. What I need is a friend who is hand in not only setting these things up, but can improve on the design as well.

I get by alright....I just don't enjoy this technical stuff. I enjoy getting my hands dirty inside the tank and working on the hardscape on top, but I do not take much joy in setting up the inner-workings. I just want it to work.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #223
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
I get by alright....I just don't enjoy this technical stuff. I enjoy getting my hands dirty inside the tank and working on the hardscape on top, but I do not take much joy in setting up the inner-workings. I just want it to work.
same here.
i thoroughly enjoy not knowing how the whole CO2 setup works, so long as I can still put the correct amount into the aquarium water.

how do you like the neoregelia, by the way. should have gotten there by now.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #224
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

It arrived in excellent condition, due to your awesome, and somewhat "unique" packaging!

I have it tacked on and being held in place by a zip tie overnight so it can set. Nice green to it, but it certainly does have a nice red speckling on it. I will see what I can do to bring that out more!

I decided to try something a bit different to use on the branches instead of pure long fiber sphagnum. I had bought some background panels....I think they're called "tree bark panels." I cut some rows off of these panels and crushed them up with my fingers, and mixed it with a handful of sphagnum moss that I ripped up as well. I then used Tilly-tack on the Manzy branches that were bare or had been covered initially by only long-fiber sphagnum, spread it around with my fingers, and took the LFS+crushed up panel mixture, and pressed this mixture onto the Tilly-tack. It has a much nicer and cleaner look, and I will probably end up replacing all the LFS with this mixture eventually. It's messy, but I like it more, and it holds moisture nicely, too!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #225
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Update....

So, I've been fighting some green hair algae over the past...month, or so. I had been adding seriyu stone at the rate of about 25lbs a week on average, and chalked it up to silicates. Come to find out today that my CO2 pump has been clogged for probably close to 6 weeks with tiny little snails and detritus in the pre-filter inside the pump housing that I put in. IN addition my UV sterilizer's intake was also clogged, probably for about that long as well. The flow had become so bad that I was starting to notice "water fleas" around some of my emmergent Manzy branches....just stangnant!

So, I spent most of the day playing hooky from work draining, cleaning, swearing, and finally fixing the problems and upgrading some of these parts. The flow in the tank is like night and day, and I've able to see my crypts and Staurogyne pearling already. TAKE THAT YOU JERK HAIR ALGAE!!!! Should make a nice difference soon! I don't mind a little bit of algae....it adds an element of realism to any system. But, enough is enough! Hopefully, I am hoping for a nearly algae-free tank (as "normal") by shortly after Christmas or New Year's. We'll see.

Despite the lack of CO2, addition of seriyu stone (WHICH IS FINALLY DONE!!!!!), lack of water movement, and algae issues, the tank has been fine! Crypts and buces don't really need pressurized CO2 anyhow, and the hygros grow fine without it as well. The riparium plants have put on nice growth, and if I can get them to lean over the wood, the increase in humidity is noticeable. Noticed a resident ladybug earlier this week too, and received a nice neo from Marko as well, which should look stunning under my high light set up in a few months.

I've taking some of the old long-fiber sphagnum moss (LFS) off and replacing using crushed up material called "Tree Bark Panels" and bits of LFS which I place on top of Tilly-Tack. I like the look much better, and I hope that it provide a better medium for my vines and marcgravia species to root into over the coming months, as opposed to LFS only.

Lots of pics today! I'm having a bit of a problem with some of the pics due to the fact that Mrs. Don (Technically that would be Mrs. Doctor Don) dropped my camera on accident and broke the viewer. So, I guess that means that I'll have to gift myself a new camera!

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment!

Nice zukali from Ghanzafar this past week too:

"El Gigante" buce....with a tangerine shrimp:

Full system view:

Left Oblique:

Left Side:

Right Side "Above Water":

Right Manzy branch close up:

Mexican milkweed flower:

Left Side Manzy branch close up:

Nurii, anyone? Most are mine, but some I got from Ghanzafar this week too!:

Nice Metallic Red patch forming!:

Top Shot Down:

Neo lillixfireball (from Marko):

Some of the "undergrowth":

Same shot, just a bit further out:

Left Side of tank:

Middle....the hygro tiger is really nice in a dense row!:

Right Side of tank:

Nice shot of the top:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.