40 gallons the long way
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

40 gallons the long way

Current Tank photo - see last post for more info/photos

I sold my 55 but still had the stand. I was lucky enough to find an uncommon tank called a 40 long. It has the identical footprint as a 55 but it is shorter in height. This particular tank had thicker glass and was never built with a center brace. My only regret is that it wasn't in mint condition with the glass having a few scratches.

I thought about derimming the tank since the trim was loose but the only change I made was to paint the back black. For anyone else doing this, use spray paint, not acrylic stuff you have to brush on. I was too lazy to haul it outside again to spray paint and it didn't turn out as well with the acrylic.

Lighting: 4x54w T5ho w/ led moonlight

Substrate: 64lbs Flourite Black (4 Bags)

Filtration: Fluval 205 with DIY spray bar

CO2: Pressurized ran to a DIY sponge filter powered by a powerhead pump acting as diffuser

Manzanita branches screwed to slate tile and large rocks to create elevated corner

June 13

Last edited by Tvadna; 12-09-2014 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: It was too loud
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Tvadna
Planted Member

After letting the tank cycle a while I added the CO2 and a few plants

blyxa japonica
staurogyne repens
red ludwigia
anubias
taiwan moss bindered to a plastic grid

June 27

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Tvadna
Planted Member

After the cotton in the end of the airline wasn't diffusing the CO2 enough to turn my drop checker green, I plugged it into the airline port of a sponge filter that was attached to a powerhead. Not only does it do double duty now, it is very efficient. I also added a few live items.
extra endlers livebearers
dwarf baby tears
star grass

July 8

Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Tvadna
Planted Member

I added my German Blue Ram pair from my 30 gallon because the female was looking thick with eggs and they already had 3 week old fry in the 30. I didn't want the parents to have to choose between batches of fry so the parents got the boot into the 40 long.

July 19

Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Tvadna
Planted Member

Here is a close up of my DIY co2 diffuser/secondary filter. I can't believe I haven't seen anyone rig this up before.
Feel free to ask any questions about it.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Tvadna
Planted Member

Initially the staurogyne repens was looking really rough. It got bright green after a week and is showing new growth plus side roots left and right. Are the side shooting roots normal for this plant or am I doing something wrong like not planting it deep enough?

Also, you can see the blyxa japonica to the left of the screen. I can never get it to flourish, does anyone have any tips for this plant? Planting depth, ferts, lighting?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Good looking tank. Blyxa is pretty easy, your lighting seems fine, just start dosing dry ferts. As for your s repens, you could probably plant deeper, but since its done, just leave them alone. The repens will grow side growth and become thicker.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Tvadna
Planted Member

My rams have spawned again in their new tank. The first one was successful but I removed the endlers when I found eggs. This batch looks bigger but I think I will see if they're up for the challenge. They were smart enough to lay eggs opposite the inlet for the canister filter and in the back corner where all the flow is the weakest. I turned the fluval off since the inlet slots are massive but I'm keeping the powerhead sponge filter going.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Tvadna
Planted Member

When I try to upload pictures that were taken from my droid razr, they upload just fine.

When I try to upload pictures from my digital camera, they're too large and need to be resized before I can add them to this site.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I'd like to continue to do the pictures from my digital camera but it is a pain to resize everything first. Is there a way to adjust my camera so that the files are small enough to upload?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

is there something you can do to hide that sponge filter/diffuser... it gives it that edgy industrial look,, but maybe a slab of slate or something would look nice
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Tvadna
Planted Member

So is blyxa jap. a bigger water column feeder then a root feeder? That would make sense since its technically a stem plant.

I don't know a lot about dry ferts. There are a ton of different ones but how do you determine which ones you need?

I should also add that I use RO water for my tank, only RO water.
Could this be a potential problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
Good looking tank. Blyxa is pretty easy, your lighting seems fine, just start dosing dry ferts. As for your s repens, you could probably plant deeper, but since its done, just leave them alone. The repens will grow side growth and become thicker.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco4Tanks View Post
is there something you can do to hide that sponge filter/diffuser... it gives it that edgy industrial look,, but maybe a slab of slate or something would look nice
I agree with it not being attractive. I was planning on putting it in the back once I got it adjusted and letting a few stem plants camouflage it. I really think you're onto something with the slate. I have some tiles I could try and tuck it behind if I could get one of them to stand on end...

I don't want to stress my ram pair/fry right now but I'm keeping that idea on the back burner.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Do you use any remineralizer with the ro water? Are you not having algae issues? That is a lot of light with no ferts. The dry ferts are a ton cheaper. I did liquid and i switched to dry ferts not long ago. I will never go back. As far as which ones to use, check out the sticky in the fertilizer section of this forum. If you look back through the for sale section you will find someone on here that sells them in package form. Read, read, and read some more. Good start!
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
Do you use any remineralizer with the ro water? Are you not having algae issues? That is a lot of light with no ferts. The dry ferts are a ton cheaper. I did liquid and i switched to dry ferts not long ago. I will never go back. As far as which ones to use, check out the sticky in the fertilizer section of this forum. If you look back through the for sale section you will find someone on here that sells them in package form. Read, read, and read some more. Good start!
I do not remineralize. I think I initially went to RO water to breed Rams and to get my pH down and it seems to work for the plants too.
The RO water has worked great in a 10 gallon that I used floramax in but now that you mention remineralizing, the flormax may do that for me since I've read it has non-stable/dissolvable material mixed in.

I've read the stickys before on the ferts. It is still hard to follow. It is also tough to figure out what you need since there isn't exactly a magnesium sulfate test kit.

The only dry fert I have added is Azomite in a shrimp tank and it seemed to make a big difference in the shrimp and the plants liked it too.

Time to do some reading/research...

Do you mind sharing what you dose and why you dose that particular blend? Plus, any changes you have seen in your tank since dosing.. Thanks

Last edited by Tvadna; 07-19-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: to add to the post
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
I agree with it not being attractive. I was planning on putting it in the back once I got it adjusted and letting a few stem plants camouflage it. I really think you're onto something with the slate. I have some tiles I could try and tuck it behind if I could get one of them to stand on end...

I don't want to stress my ram pair/fry right now but I'm keeping that idea on the back burner.
I like the idea of slate,, but there's lots of options ..maybe wrap it in stainless steel mesh and tie some plants to it. I'm always trying to be creative with hiding stuff.. Ideally, all I want to see is fish and plants,
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.