General Chat - Talk about anything! - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #751
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yea I buried em. But I dont have deep substrate to go deeper. From uhh...from one of the jersey shops..fishtown?

He was from..uhhh, one of the shops on 8th ave. Dont remember which... the other ones werent that great (to me) but Albert really liked em. Dont think hes an orchid, since i thought those were shiny/iridescent blue or green. Hes got no sheen to him. Just an ugly orchid?
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #752
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Black orchids have a solid black body with steel blue fins between the rays.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #753
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

a storm is coming...
helllooo weekend~
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2013788.html
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #754
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
a storm is coming...
helllooo weekend~
Meh. I ain't scared. Probably just going to rain hard.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #755
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

We touched on this in another thread. I always think things like this are media hype, and also agree about it just going to be heavy rain.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #756
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Though we did get that freak snowstorm last year after Halloween...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #757
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Which I flew through and landed in.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #758
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Beautiful Betta Flo, reminds me of a Blue Pinoy Angel I was thinking about.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #759
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

zombie....

there was this giant tree which almost hit our house last year during the hurricane...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #760
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
a storm is coming...
helllooo weekend~
Our basement used to get flooded on the megastorms so even smaller stormed got me unnerved. Suffered through that for decades until finally moving three years ago. When I say mega storms, I mean our entire street would be navel high in water. I've lost five cars to floods and countless amounts of stuff in the basement. Guess it was a nice way to declutter the house. Biggest storms happened once in the eighties, once in the ninetys then twice in 2007. One just happened a month ago. I saw it reported on ny1 then... People say its inadequate sewer maintenance. Others say sanitation divert the sewers away from th airports which inevitably backs up in low lying neighborhoods... You guys have no idea how good you have it not having flood worries. It was a very uncomfortable time in my life. I remember lifting an old lady up and seating her a brick wall to get out of the river of flood water and waiting there with her until her son was able to come and pick her up.

The world's changing before our eyes. Never really had this sort of weather before. Hardly have any snow in recent years. I remember months and months of snow covered streets when I went to elementary school, building snow men, snow forts and a stockpile of snowballs then running inside with frozen hands and toes to have hot chocolate. Those were the days...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #761
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

sudden nostalgia huh? never saw it snow until i came to ny...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #762
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Our basement used to get flooded on the megastorms so even smaller stormed got me unnerved. Suffered through that for decades until finally moving three years ago. When I say mega storms, I mean our entire street would be navel high in water. I've lost five cars to floods and countless amounts of stuff in the basement. Guess it was a nice way to declutter the house. Biggest storms happened once in the eighties, once in the ninetys then twice in 2007. One just happened a month ago. I saw it reported on ny1 then... People say its inadequate sewer maintenance. Others say sanitation divert the sewers away from th airports which inevitably backs up in low lying neighborhoods... You guys have no idea how good you have it not having flood worries. It was a very uncomfortable time in my life. I remember lifting an old lady up and seating her a brick wall to get out of the river of flood water and waiting there with her until her son was able to come and pick her up.

The world's changing before our eyes. Never really had this sort of weather before. Hardly have any snow in recent years. I remember months and months of snow covered streets when I went to elementary school, building snow men, snow forts and a stockpile of snowballs then running inside with frozen hands and toes to have hot chocolate. Those were the days...

I learn to never live on the top floor ever again. In the summer, heat rises and it's always like an oven. But the unnerving part is the rain. There's no cover since we are so high, so the rain is always slamming against the windows. The building condition is not good either so at one point, there were leaks coming into the bedroom. Couldn't use it for 6 months. After that, then it was the kitchen...they "fixed" it and then it leaked again and couldn't use my kitchen for 2 months. Now, everytime it rains...I'm always paranoid and looking at the ceiling when the next leak will happen.

The world is changing and changing for the worst. All this extreme weather and hurricane is all really caused by the green house effect. All those movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still....stuff like that can and will happen. 3-4 years ago when the big hurricane hit Queens, it was fortunately about 7 blocks west of me. I'm in Forest Hills and the hurricane went right through there, down Yellowstone Blvd and onto 108th Street, then it passed the Grand Central Parkway and finally ending in Brooklyn. HUNDREDS of huge trees just ripped out of the ground!! I have some pictures, it will scare you.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #763
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

ahhh so depressing...
So. who wants two male H formosas? my tank is getting a little overcrowded. 2 gallons, and there's 9 of these guys already.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #764
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
ahhh so depressing...
So. who wants two male H formosas? my tank is getting a little overcrowded. 2 gallons, and there's 9 of these guys already.
On a side note, I picked a very nice fishbowl from Albert last night...so nice that I may keep it for myself.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #765
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post

Hah, I remember these from when I interned in Flushing's City Council Office. They made me go out there with a yard stick and shove it in the sewer drains to see how clogged everything was. For low lying elevation folks, too many people paved over their lawns to make parking spaces, essentially turning their part of Flushing into a big concrete bowl.

The DEP said it would take ~20 years to put in new drainage pipes and the only thing I could tell angry residents that called the office was to clean leaves out of the storm drains and get flood insurance.