General Chat - Talk about anything! - Page 25
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #361
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowKitty49 View Post
But Project Runway and ANTM are so good and riddled with drama. I can't watch those because I get horribly addicted. I crush on my favorite and am so so sad when they get booted. ;_; Or when mean people win! >.<

I love the various challenges that they come up with on Project Runway. Like make an outfit out of car materials or the potato sack one. Though ... once it was on Lifetime in Cali instead of NY, it was a bit lackluster. Bravo didn't want the rights back so apparently it stayed with Lifetime? I haven't watched since then since it wasn't that awesome. Has it improved at all?

But watching Grimm and Once Upon a Time would be 2 hours out of your week. *evil* >: D
There's a new one premiering On Thurs after Vampire Diaries called Beauty and the Beast. I wonder if it'll be good. They're doing so many fairytale themed shows lately, and I'm a sucker for all of them. =X

I plan on watching the UK version of Being Human. I was introduced to a bit of the American ver. and it seemed really interesting. Though (and I never watched it) it seemed a little like Lost to me. At least, what I've heard from other people about it.

Speaking of the UK, I really really miss the IT Crowd. )=
I watched the UK version and didn't like it. Maybe because I already fell in love with the Am version already, it just didn't seem right.

Does anyone read sci-fi fantasy? I'm looking for something new to read.
I've re read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series many times. Also David Eddings and Feist are awsome writers along with sooo many others.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #362
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
I've re read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series many times. Also David Eddings and Feist are awsome writers along with sooo many others.
I like to suggest Guy Gavriel Kay. Epic storyteller, subject can be a bit mature for younger readers, and don't start with his very first works as he drastically improves as he goes along. He writes with a vast array of character viewpoints that weave together beautifully.

There's also the ever-present Terry Pratchett; I prefer the ones that focus on the Watch as they're more serious. Feet of Clay remains one of my favorites, along with - I keep forgetting the title, Carpe Jugulum?

Also, this may be difficult to find, but the translated Boogiepop light novel is amazing. It should be read by any aspiring storyteller just for the lessons in how to tell a complex story without dumbing it down.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #363
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I love Robin Hobb for her world building.

Here's a link to free audiobooks by HarperAudio.

http://soundcloud.com/harperaudio/sets/robin-hobb/
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #364
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
I like to suggest Guy Gavriel Kay. Epic storyteller, subject can be a bit mature for younger readers, and don't start with his very first works as he drastically improves as he goes along. He writes with a vast array of character viewpoints that weave together beautifully.

There's also the ever-present Terry Pratchett; I prefer the ones that focus on the Watch as they're more serious. Feet of Clay remains one of my favorites, along with - I keep forgetting the title, Carpe Jugulum?

Also, this may be difficult to find, but the translated Boogiepop light novel is amazing. It should be read by any aspiring storyteller just for the lessons in how to tell a complex story without dumbing it down.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #365
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
I watched the UK version and didn't like it. Maybe because I already fell in love with the Am version already, it just didn't seem right.

For an interesting take on how dragons mights have impacted the Napoleanic era, the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is fun. The audiobook of the first volume is very good. Great reader!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #366
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Here is a superb one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_Adventure
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #367
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
I love that he changed the name of his book bc it sounded like a British euphemism!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #368
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

Regardless of the name, I highly recommend it. Vance has a vivid imagination. I also loved his Demon Princes serie, as well as Cugel's Saga
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #369
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Lyonesse series.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #370
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good too - a little more tedious to read though, especially for non-native speakers.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #371
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

favourite book : count of monte cristo!
I thought that book was absolute genius >.>
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #372
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
Good too - a little more tedious to read though, especially for non-native speakers.
Most Vance books are challenging reads, even for native English speakers, but well worth the effort. Jack Vance rules!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0809.JPG (112.7 KB, 1 views)
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #373
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

specgrrl,ptr,chibikaie,Mr.Limpet and aokashi, thank you so much for all the suggestions.
I've been reading sci-fi fantasy for 30+ years and lately I've been re reading the same books that I do love but time for something new. Has anyone read the Many Colored Land by Julien May? awsome book and the ones that follow. It's an old series but I'm sure amazon or barnes and nobles would order it.
I hate to loan out books, I never get them back. I had an old copy of the first dragon rider book from the 60's, the art work on the book was so dated I loved it...never got it back.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #374
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OH, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, if I remember right the first book is the Unbeliever, AWSOME series, you don't know what's true and what's not at first but
it was a great read! author Steven Donaldson

Last edited by furnfins; 10-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #375
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

Also, I am inordinately fond of the cheesy Barsoom novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs and the series by John Varley that begins with Titan.