GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - The Fusion Tank (Nature, Iwagumi...Who Knows?) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Update... 7 days since planted

Seems like the Finnex Ray 2 is doing a good job growing my red plants such as the ludwigia sp. red and the rotala colorata. It seems that the HC is doing well, although I haven't seen much pearling going on. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's still acclimating to being planted in a new aquarium (previous being in a pot for several weeks in 4w/gal). Some of the leaves on the pygmy chain sword turned a bit yellow so I removed them. I'm guess this is an acclimation thing as well--adjusting to new lighting, substrate, etc. Lastly, I planted a couple of more stems of p. errectus. My plan is to cover the equipment when they grow taller...

Oh... and I added a female betta to help keep the seeded filter media alive and keep my tank cycled. I'm really diggin' her vibrant deep color red. It contrasts well with the green plants and compliments my ludwigia red and r. colorata.

Here's some pics... (I'm a picture heavy type of guy, although I'm a bit too lazy to bust out the DSLR):

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Update... 7 days since planted

Seems like the Finnex Ray 2 is doing a good job growing my red plants such as the ludwigia sp. red and the rotala colorata. It seems that the HC is doing well, although I haven't seen much pearling going on. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's still acclimating to being planted in a new aquarium (previous being in a pot for several weeks in 4w/gal). Some of the leaves on the pygmy chain sword turned a bit yellow so I removed them. I'm guess this is an acclimation thing as well--adjusting to new lighting, substrate, etc. Lastly, I planted a couple of more stems of p. errectus. My plan is to cover the equipment when they grow taller...

Oh... and I added a female betta to help keep the seeded filter media alive and keep my tank cycled. I'm really diggin' her vibrant deep color red. It contrasts well with the green plants and compliments my ludwigia red and r. colorata.

Here's some pics... (I'm a picture heavy type of guy, although I'm a bit too lazy to bust out the DSLR):

Wow really nice!!! I'm going to try your method of hanging the light with the rope wire and the Ikea bracket. Except I'm gonna get a board to put on top of the bracket to make a shelf for fish food, and etc...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
KFryman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank has come along great! I think that grassy plant is too tall to be a pygmy chain sword.
KFryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Yeah that's a good idea. I thought about buying the board too to make it a shelf, but decided not to because it would take away from my wall art. Anyway, if you anticipate putting anything on the shelf that might be heavier than fish food, you should probably use wall anchors as well--just a suggestion. LMK how it comes along.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Yeah that's a good idea. I thought about buying the board too to make it a shelf, but decided not to because it would take away from my wall art. Anyway, if you anticipate putting anything on the shelf that might be heavier than fish food, you should probably use wall anchors as well--just a suggestion. LMK how it comes along.
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFryman View Post
Tank has come along great! I think that grassy plant is too tall to be a pygmy chain sword.
Well the guys at the LFS assured me that it was E. tenellus. I've read and was told by another (more knowledgeable member than myself) that it can grow tall when less light is available. Probably that's why it was in the very back of the display tank at the LFS, while other E. tenellus in the mid to foreground was much more compact in growth. Check out this article..
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/Cha...-NeilFrank.htm

I think with the lighting I have now, however, that the longer blades might die off, which will leave me with a shorter plant. I'm not sure if this is what I want, so I'm contemplating on switching it out for a taller variety of DHG (eleocharis acicularis). My concern with that though is that I didn't put any plastic dividers in the substrate and the DHG might spread -- which I've also read that E. aciscularis is the 'master of invasiveness'... LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Well... instead of just doing a photo shoot update, I decided to bust out the old digital camcorder for a quick video. Nothing special... I was just bored. Note: Just hit the 'mute' if you're not in to electro music...LOL

Anyway, the growth is pretty good with the Finnex Ray 2. I had to cut off some roots from the rotala because it was starting to grow sideways instead of up. I'm assuming it might have something to do with the current. The ludwigia red is growing pretty tall and the flame moss, well... is starting to look like "flame" with its vertical wavy growth. HC is creeping along and spreading slowly but surely. Pretty neat I must say! I am getting some green spot algae on the glass and rocks, and just a tiny bit of diatoms in just one area of the substrate by the branch. I scraped off as much GSA and diatoms as I could. I also reduced the photo period by an hour, upped the excel, and upped the co2 an extra bubble per sec. But overall, looking good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MnlA...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 10-11-2012 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #23
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice Brian!! Are you using any fert? So you setup has been up for about 2 week right? Have you noticed PSI drop in your Co2 tank? Looks like your output is 2-3 bubbles per second.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #24
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Ken... I've been dosing Seachem Flourish and Excel. For iron and potash, I've been using API leaf zone. When these liquids run out, I plan to mix the dry ferts and start dosing per EI or PPS-Pro (still don't know too much about either, been lazy to learn).

The PSI has hardly dropped on my regulator. It's registering 1000 psi right now. It seems like at this rate, the 20oz paintball tank should last a pretty good amount of time.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #25
Mike00726
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks great. Just bought the same light and tank, using the Finnex 360 for filtration though.
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #26
KFryman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do you like the Aquatek Paintball regulator? Planning on getting it.

I like the scape on your tank, I like the height that you have as well.
KFryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #27
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

very nice color combinations with your plants. well done
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

@Mike00726 - Thank you! Great taste in lighting and tank. I'm really pleased with my purchases. I was going to get the Finnex 360 as well, but decided on the Fluval 106 because of the flow control and the ability to place the canister way below the tank, unlike the PX-360's limit of 2ft I believe. Anyway, I'd love to see your setup when you get things going... LMK when its up.

@KFryman - Thanks! I really like the Aquatek regulator. It hasn't done anything for me to dislike it. Compared to comparable regulators out there, the Aquatek is really a good value! I just hope it last long since I've only had it for about a month now.

@tylergvolk - Thanks for the compliment! I'll be updating soon w/ pics. I've been getting some pretty good growth and the HC is carpeting in nicely.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Mike00726
Algae Grower

Would you recommend hanging the light instead of attaching it to the tank?
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

looking really good, your betta girl compliments the tank really well, I bet she is really happy in that tank
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquatek co2 regulator, finnex ray 2, fluval stratum, gla 36-l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.