zeldar's 60-P Unzan scape *Redone 4/1/13*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/100%)

zeldar's 60-P Unzan scape *Redone 4/1/13*

I have moved in with my girlfriend so took down the 4 tanks I had going. It was too much to keep up with nowadays and I hardly even looked in the tanks unless I was doing a quick waterchange. I felt like I was neglecting the tanks and inhabitants. So after donating the fish to the LFS and selling all the shrimp (so sad to see the Pure Lines go), plants, and equipment I got moved in this past weekend.

Of course I am setting up ONE aquarium. No more than 1, mark my words haha. Since I am only going with one tank, I wanted to make it a nice one. So I headed down to ADG to pickup a 60-P 'mist'. I got some other goodies as well: Aquasoil normal and powder, PowerSand, Bacter 100, Green Bacter, and going to try the ADA fertilizer system. I want to make the daily maintenance of the tank as minimal as possible so def too lazy for mixing dry ferts...

I bought a pretty decent stand for tank from Dr. Fosters and Smith. It was only $100 and seems to be sturdy and looks good. I bought a 24" Fishneedit T5 24watt x4 bulbs. I am going to build a light stand from some square stainless steel I ordered online and suspend it above the tank. Let's hope it turns out how I envision it...

Then came the hardscape. I had originally bought ~25 pounds of Ryuoh stone form ADG hoping to come up with an Iwagumi. After several frustrating hours rearranging the stones, I gave it up. Stupid me bought 8 stones all of the same size so it all looked to uniform. So I went back down to ADG to exchange them for some driftwood. I dug through their boxes of driftwood and found some possible candidates but still didn't love a scape. I said screw it and went for the Unzan stone that was just sitting there taunting me. I got a large and 2 small pieces. This stone is pretty awesome and its basically an instant scape. Just put them in the tank and poof! a scape!

I got holes drilled in the stand for co2 and filter lines and the tank filled with water tonight. There aren't any plants in there yet as I just bought some HC and still looking for E. Tenellus 'red'. I am pretty sure those will be the only plants in the tank.

I snapped a couple pictures before drilling and filling with water. More to come tomorrow, its getting very late and work in the morning is approaching!

Tank Specs:
tank: ADA 60-P mist
light: Fishneedit 4x 24watt T5HO
substrate: Aquasoil normal and powder
filter: Eheim 2215 with aquamagic pipes
co2: 24oz. paintball tank with GLA regulator diffused with a Do Aqua 20D music glass
ferts: Brighty K, Step 1, Step 2
flora: HC, e. tenellus 'red', e. hydropiper in the pockets (if i can ever find any)
fauna: def a school of small fish (tetra or rasbora most likely), 10 pygmy corries, amano shrimp, a couple assassin snails

Last edited by zeldar; 04-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: update
zeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Very nice start-- I'm sure that unzan cost you a fortune! I bet it's worth every penny though. Some Blyxa japonica might look really cool amongst the rocks. Sounds like you have a good plan though and i'm excited to see this tank progress.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
garloki72
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Also looking forward to see this tank progress!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Woah massive rock. I don't know why I thought this, but it would be sweet if you drilled some holes in the rock and put a airstone underneath it. It would be a volcano! Hah probably a novelty but might be fun =)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
wacky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very nice start!!!
wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
grogan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks good bud. I just picked up a 60p also. Good luck
Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks AzFish! Blyxa would look pretty cool but I think it would get too busy for what I want to achieve here. I honestly want the rocks to be the overpowering focal point and I know Blyxa would eventually get too big for the scape.

fushiongt, i thought of a valcano right when I saw the piece at ADG! and you cant tell from the picture, but there is a pocket at the very top, exactly like a valcano! haha but sorry, no airstone...

Good luck with your 60-P grogan! Its been my favorite size that I have worked with so far. It's a little bigger than a nano which gives you more room for scaping but not too big that its a hassle for water changes...

Thanks for all the other compliments!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

dude....... how much did you pay for that rock/where did you get it?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

That stone is going to look magical when wet.

Any shots of the tank stand?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As stated in the first post, I got the stones from ADG. They had one Large rock left and it was really nice... They also had several small and a couple medium pieces.

I'll get some pictures of the stand sometime soon. It's the first one that comes up when you search "aquarium stand" on Dr. Foster...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got the light stand finished and installed. It turned out pretty good in my opinion. Beats paying the crazy ADA light stand price! The SS rods were $60 shipped so not too bad. It did take some serious elbow grease to drill the 8 holes. SS is a pain to drill through! It ate up 4 nice drill bits!

Here is a close up view. Please don't mind the bird nest knots, I am going to get the claps today if they have them at the hardware store. Then I need to trim off the extra wire cable to clean it up and run the light power cords down the back of the SS rods.

Here is a pic of the stand. Its about as basic as it gets but thats fine.

The holes I drilled for the filter lines came out pretty nice, although I would say a bit too big. I will probably use a sharpie to color in the brown part.

And the goods inside the stand: filter, co2, and two ballasts
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

Love it! Very nice light stand.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally got some plants in here. I had a melted shipment of HC so had to reorder. The plant list has changed quite a bit in the last 2 weeks. I was going to go with just HC and some tenellus between the rocks. Then HC in the front and glosso in the back. Then HC in the front and HM in the back. Now the plan is HC in the back and between the rocks, hydropiper in the front (we will see if I can get it to spread, if not I'll try glosso), and rotala macrandra in the back behind the main stone. I'm kinda worried the macrandra's leave size may be too large for this scape. Once it grows in some, if it looks off I may pull it and go with Colorata, Sunset, or Green.

I don't really know what will be planted in the Unzan pockets on the main stone. Right now there is the tiny bit of UG and hydropiper just bc I had it leftover from the move. May go with HC or glosso.

I checked the ammonia and nitrite today for the first time. Shockingly they both showed 0!! The aquasoil has only been cycling for 12 days or so. It does have a mature filter on it but that has never sped up the aquasoil leeching of ammonia. Is the new aquasoil have less ammonia or something? I'm nervous to add fish thinking its a false reading or something...

Ahhh, planting ol' HC never gets old...

Macrandra in the back
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tank is looking nice! was nice meeting you too, i havent done anything with the mini m yet, but that unzan looks nice
mythin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I believe larger leaf carpets such as glosso should go in front while hc should go into the back. This mimics a sort of realism. Amano and the art of iwagumi emphasize on replicating what you see in nature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote