Planted bowl help please:)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted bowl help please:)

Alright, so not to long ago I posted a thread on here saying how me and my little brother were going to start a planted bowl (2g) for him cause he was interested. It's been set up for 2 days now, plan on doing water changed every 2 to 3 days, about 25%. I want the bowl to fill in and have plants thrive. I have a 60W bulb desk lamp that I keep on for 8 hours a day and there is Eco-complete substrate. As of now I just have some java moss and micro sword (friend gave em to me even though i know they need higher lighting)

Here are similar tanks to what I would like to achieve and I hope is not impossible (not necessarily the exact same thing)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2683.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	154065

Name:	_MG_7951.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	154073

Name:	10463_bowl_2b.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	154097

Really like the last one, what plant does he have carpeting the bottom in the front? and the one in the back?

Well my main question here is what plants would grow best and thrive in a bowl like this? Also I was thinking about dosing ferts but I was told for a 2 gallon bowl its not necessary. Thanks a bunch and if you have a similar project, please share :)
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
sacme
Planted Member

Not my pictures, I don't claim to own them. Got them off the internet
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/96%)

a 60W bulb is too much, get a 13w CLF 6500k bulb. Those are microswords he has in the front and some type of moss (probably java moss) in the back.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

aluka nailed it with the 13w bulb, i have a bowl currently and have a 13w over it, plants respond well. Do you have a picture of your bowl? When i started my bowl i threw in a couple ramshorn snails right away and was doing 50% water changes every other day. I was checking the water parameters every other day to. So as a couple weeks went by i went form doing 50% water changes to maybe30% water changes every other day and then today was water change day and i tested the water and the water was perfect, no need to do a water change today. Ill still monitor the water every other day as there are a bunch of ramshorn snails, like 10 shrimp and 2 black molly fry (which i regret putting in as i cant catch them) i dont want them in there anymore. They are fun and easy to keep under control as long as u stay on top of it
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Generally these types of bowls goes into a stage where you just top off the water and chance it every 3-6 months. But you have to condition it to that point.

Like tattooedfool83, add some residents (snail or shrimps, i won't suggest fish unless its one betta), water change every other day for about 2 weeks, then every 3 days for 2-4 weeks, then once a week for 3-6 weeks, then once every other week, so on and so forth.

This is without testing the water. You can do it with much better accuracy if you test the water before every scheduled water change to see if you can skip it or not.

This only works if you have appropriate amount of plants. Meaning you have to have enough plants that can consume all the waste produce by your residents.

Of course if you are looking to have a sparsely planted bowl, then you should stick to a more rigorous water change schedule.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
sacme
Planted Member

Thanks guys, you've helped me out before tattooedfool, so thanks for that. When I went to homedepot I was looking for bulbs but I couldn't find anything that said how many k's the bulbs were, maybe I didn't look hard enough. I'll go see if I can find that 13w 6500k bulb, is CLF a brand?

I'm planning to do shrimp in it as well. I'm guessing shrimp excrete waste at a different rate? Still trying to learn about them.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Default Planted bowl help please:)

Cfl is a type of bulb, compact fluorescent bulb. 6500k is the temperature rating. Some Home Depot don't sell that, might have to go to Lowell's or something.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
comet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

The tall stem plant looks like Pennywort. Dwarf Sagittaria would also work for a grass like look.
Any CFL light bulb, 10 or 13 watts will do. Try your local Walmart.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
idleivey
Planted Member

Ohh, last one is mine

The bottom carpet is micro sword, which grows like a weed so it works well in a bowl but will take over. Lighting wise I used a 9 watt 6500k CFL. No ferts or anything like that. Like comet said the stem is pennywort, clumps of java moss and it's hard to see but in the back there is a red tiger lotus.

edit: here is the thread for the bowl which, alas, is no more.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...267&highlight=

Last edited by idleivey; 06-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: link
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
Ohh, last one is mine

The bottom carpet is micro sword, which grows like a weed so it works well in a bowl but will take over. Lighting wise I used a 9 watt 6500k CFL. No ferts or anything like that. Like comet said the stem is pennywort, clumps of java moss and it's hard to see but in the back there is a red tiger lotus.

edit: here is the thread for the bowl which, alas, is no more.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...267&highlight=

Its beautiful Im going to need the right bulb. I happened to have Java moss and micro swords laying around, so that makes me happy. How do you keep the water warmer? Im planing on shrimp
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Default Planted bowl help please:)

Shrimps prefer cool water, under 75
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My bowl stays between 68-72 degrees. I had a thermometer in it for a week
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
idleivey
Planted Member

I just run room temp, your temps should be fine for neocaridina's.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
sacme
Planted Member

I'll have to check the temperature today. Will tiger snails good for starting the cycle? Or should I get something else today?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
idleivey
Planted Member

By tiger snails do you mean nerite's? If so that's fine, although I find their eggs annoying and no longer use them. Up to you though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.