Looks like Pacific has Blue Velvets
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

PTrader: (29/97%)

Looks like Pacific has Blue Velvets

I was just at Pacific today and dangggg was it crowded... I've never seen it so packed. But they got a shipment of CRS and BV's I was like WOAH WHAT BLUE VELVETS!?!?!?! Then I look at the price and my DD turn into D:<

they sell em for 12.99 each. Imho pacific is smart because they know that everyone knows them and will buy from them because they are the only ones that really carry shrimps. So they can charge outrageous prices. But I'm not here to bash on them.*I know win carries crs and cherries* I'm just shocked at the prices.

I think I'll stick to local or speedie for my BV's
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Yup, sounds like Pacific. I remember when they sold rilis as lazurite shrimp for $13 a pop.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

what the hell is a lazurite shrimp? LOL I only found like 4 sites and one person had pics and it was a rili.... when I saw the lazurite mineral/gem. It was a nice blue color so I thought it was a shrimp that was a deep blue... The only other name I saw for a rili shrimp was Super Red shrimp.

eh i kinda disagree with how my trade in went today... 3 dollars for a 5 inch pleco... Then I see on the sign. 17.99 I was like what the ----- I mean im happy they they took it in because well it wasn't gonna do well with us. But really?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

Absolutely fish on route 46 also has Laos blue velvets. Very pretty. Msjinkzd only recently sold out on these as well.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Technically, the price is ~$8.60 since its buy 2 get one free
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

^Speedie's 4 each just pay $10 shipping. It comes out to Speedie's being cheaper. I like Pacific for having so much stuff but the prices...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Some of the stuff you won't be able to find anywhere else. Like those ornate rosewood pieces they have all over the shop. I'll give Pacific that
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I hope Pacific doesn't become the next New World Aquarium. New World had fish nobody else had, but they were so overpriced. Aquarium Adventure also comes to mind. They had a huge shop in Carle Place with all sorts of fish and plants, but they were so overpriced. Now they're both gone, like so many other LFS's.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Supply and demand.

For some things others carries in the area they are comparative but the fish that no other shop in the area carry they charge more.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

I don't think Pacific is going anywhere. People are buying things left and right still. Plus they have other sources of revenue other than just selling pets. Tank customization, fishing supplies, plants, and more....

They already have a strong reputation and there are a lot of in experienced people who don't know the basics are buying overpriced fish and they are buying the "optional" items.

Just like the other day with a person who was told to keep a betta in a tiny bowl. It was just enough to hold about 1 pint and that person bought marbles for it... also some sort of water conditioner.

I was already like RIP betta. I honestly hate seeing betta's in such confined spaces and with out any circulation what so ever. FISHES NEED TO SWIM AND GROW DANG IT!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wasn't there a Petland that was nearer to the bridge?
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
core212
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrice247 View Post
I don't think Pacific is going anywhere. People are buying things left and right still. Plus they have other sources of revenue other than just selling pets. Tank customization, fishing supplies, plants, and more....
This is true. I have been going to Pacific since I was 11-12 yrs old and i'm now 38. I would visit the store when it was across the street and they had a basement where they carried birds, hamsters, etc.

Quality and good knowledge will keep them there for many years to come for sure. Well, that's if the Hipsters don't drive them out!
core212 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
aznrice247
The Great Poobah

I went back to Pacific the other day and to my surprise I saw their shrimp tank EMPTY! I'm honestly baffled at the fact people are willing to pay 12.99 for each shrimp or 25 for 3.

hopefully if I can get a colony going I'll be glad to compete with their prices with selling locally. Just give me another 6 months because I just got a few more from speedie today.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (328/99%)

No shrimp at Pacific, only saw one velvet on Saturday,

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrice247 View Post
I went back to Pacific the other day and to my surprise I saw their shrimp tank EMPTY! I'm honestly baffled at the fact people are willing to pay 12.99 for each shrimp or 25 for 3.

hopefully if I can get a colony going I'll be glad to compete with their prices with selling locally. Just give me another 6 months because I just got a few more from speedie today.
Their prices get a bad rap. Even if its pricey with their B2G1 they tend to give discounts to repeat customers or those that buy many.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.