Help with aquascaping
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Corridor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help with aquascaping

I've always loved the looks of planted aquariums so i decided to get a 5 gallon for my betta and plant it. as you can see in the photos i have 3 anubias nana and a bunch of water wisteria. I've got a piece of driftwood with moss tied to it and im wondering if have any suggestions on where it should be. i plan on getting some dwarf sag for the front. but this look i have achieved just doesn't appeal to my taste. I have tried to angle my drift wood differently but all resulted in a weird look. I did do some research about principles of aquascaping but i don't know how i can make the drift wood un centred. Im open to all opinions and perspectives, thank you guys for your help.
oh and just to let you know my camera isnt good at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	57475  

Name:	IMG_0866.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	57476  

Corridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

First, raise your water level to the black rim.

Have you tried grouping the Wysteria in one corner and putting the Anubias together?

Dwarf Sag will likely be too tall to use as a foreground plant in that tank. Crypt parva would be a more appropriate scale and just as cheap.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
ony
Planted Member

It feels very flat to me, the overall layout is nice but every line in the tank is horizontal. Could the left side of the bogwood be pulled forward a couple of inches? Maybe make a subtle slope down to below the bogwood overhang to make a shallow bowl that mirrors the bogwood shadow. The other little niggle I have is that the anubias is placed symmetrically and I don't think it works in this layout. Those changes arent very big but I think it would make the whole tank feel more natural and dynamic.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Corridor
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the suggestions, the reason the water isn't at the rim because i'm cycling and the water goes down fast with the heater on. I will try the bunching up wisteria thing i just thought they would over shade each other (because there's a lot in there) and where shall i bunch them because if its in the back right corner they tend to lean towards the front because of the flow. i have a plan and ill post a picture when i tweak it
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Corridor
Algae Grower

oh and i was thinking of cutting the driftwood in half would that be a good ideal (because its a bit big for my liking)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Don't bunch up the wisteria, trim it so it is at different heights. Lower leaves will die if they don't get any light. It sure looks nice in your tank!

I would leave the wood alone. Once the moss has taken hold and you can trim it so it looks natural it will look nice. Love the looming dark recess it has in the photo, hope there is a bit of that in real life.

Trim the wisteria lower on the right and place all the Anubias on the right side at different heights. If you tie them to a pebble then they won't go floating and the rhizome will stay safely out of the substrate. I love Cryptocoryne wendtii but a smaller crypt would be better - place on the left side. I agree, don't use dwarf sag as it is only dwarf compared to its big cousins. If you want a low growing plant you could look at Marsilea as well as C. parva.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
Corridor
Algae Grower

So I cut the drift wood (moss still on it) and I scattered the wisteria in the back near the back (a bit more than the photo) and piled the anubias in a bunch. By the way the wisteria had no leaves near the bottom of it but was a steal all for 2.99. Anyways I look forward to getting some plants in the back behind the anubias and was wondering what should I get in the low-medium Standards range, I was thinking of crypt wenditi.
-thanks for all the pointers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	57529