Green thread algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Green thread algae

I was keeping a container pond this summer and I transfered the plants to one of my tanks. Now I have a problem with some sort of thread algae.

I've been removing what I can (i even had to use a comb to get it out of my hairgrass) but its pretty well tangled in the stems and impossible to remove it all.

I need to use a lot of the plants for a tank i'm setting up for my mother this weekend. Will an excel dip kill it off? I don't want to start things off badly on a new tank. Are these stems recoverable or should I trash them?
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

H202. Spot treat it. Be careful as it destroys bacteria, plant cells, algae, pretty much everything. You can kill your animals and plants if you overdose with peroxide, however you can use it pretty effectively to destroy algae.

Excel dips would work, but they're just like H202 in that you'd kill more than algae past a certain point.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I'm mostly worried about the plants i'm using for the new tank. I can pull them and dip in a bucket (its a lot of plants).
What ratio of either H2O2 or excel should I use and how long should I dip them? I have until the weekend to either get these clean or buy new stuff.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote