First planted 20 long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
erylander
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First planted 20 long

First (sort of) attempt at a planted tank. Tank is pretty bare right now, I have a shipment of a few plants on the way and will be going on a hunt for more driftwood soon ( I live in the thumb of Michigan driftwood is easy to find haha)
sorry photos are kind of crappy, uploading everything from phone right now.
Equipment-

Filter-Penguin bio wheel 150 hob

Lighting- 2 24" coralife t5ho fluorescent bulbs (accidentally ordered 24" fixture instead of 30" but I hung the fixture anyway so it all worked out hahaa) May add co2 in the future if I find I need it

Substrate- 15 lbs original fluorite, 20 lbs eco-complete black, some old "natural" colored gravel from previous tank and appx. 1 lb of white aquarium stones I had never gotten around to using.

Decor- driftwood I found kayaking in Fla Last year, two rocks (the "cave") from our garden I've been using in tanks for a few years now

Fauna- 11 WCMM, 7 little rummynose tetras and 1 johnny darter. The tetras are new, everyone else I've had for a about a year.

Flora- a small portion of some java moss I've had, an aponogeton bulb of some sort that has just recently come back to life and I'm not really sure what the other plant is, I got some from my sisters bf (it had taken over half of his tank hahaa) and he couldn't remember what it was. I've tried to identify it I'm thinking dwarf hygro maybe? I just have it floating around right now not sure where I want it yet.
My johnny darter and piece of the "unknown" plant

My little aponogeton sprouting back to life Lol crappy pics

So this is just the beginning phase! I will be working on adding a lot more excitement to the tank in the near future as far as plants and hardscaping goes! Any advice/comments on planting ideas etc is totally welcome, thank you
erylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
koiboi
Planted Member

The little unknown plant looks like Hygrophilia polysperma to me. Especially if it took over someone's tank. That's what H. poly does!
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
H2Ogal
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are WCMM white cloud mountain minnows? They and darters like cooler waters than rummynose, I think. There are other tetras that like cooler temps (but darned if I can remember them right now), so you might need to adust your fauna in the future.

I like the look of your mixed substrate ... and free driftwood? You lucky dog.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
erylander
Algae Grower

Thank you I was trying to figure what that hygro for a while lol and yeah I know the white clouds and darter were kept w/o a heater for a long time, around 63 degrees....i have the temp at 72 now they seem happy still , idk how the rummynose will do I just got them yesterday

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
erylander
Algae Grower

Added a few more rocks today, and found a few small pieces of driftwood, they're just floating right now until they sink...waiting for plants!!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
erylander
Algae Grower

Yayy I received my shipment of plants yesterday!!
Here's the list of new plants:
1 Crypt. Parva
1 Crypt. Lutea
1 Sword Rangeri
7 dwarf sagg (I ordered ten but gave 3 to a friend getting into planted tanks)
4 hygro. Corymbosa (green temple)
1 pogostemon stellata, not sure how that will do seeing most info I have read says this plant requires very high light and co2, but we'll see.
Here's a pic for now, I'll post more later the afteernoon lighting in my home makes for difficult picture taking and my water is still a tad. cloudy from disturbing substrate today.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
erylander
Algae Grower

I'm beginning to think I don't like my little rock cave formation in the middle, no one goes in anyways Lol I may be rearranging soon...any opinions/ideas?