Chad's 125g...take 2... "LOST" - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #31
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetzer View Post
Killer rock work sir /thumbsup
thx Hetzer

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

new reactor

new one next to the old one

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I always ask myself, "What would please me?" Because, honestly: you aren't going to be able to please everyone. What lacks "flow" to someone else may look "perfect" to you or a different person. I like it just fine. Why make it look like someone else's tank? Did you get into this hobby to please everyone else?

I love these supposed know-it-all's who proclaim to know everything about everything regarding "aquascaping." You're not entering this into a contest, so who cares? Go for something that you find nice, and try to put a unique spin on it. Or don't. But I wouldn't think twice about a random comment regarding the "flow" of the scape....that's subjective silliness.

Good job so far, Mr. Chad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
Someone on another forum said my scape lacked "flow"

I was shooting for a fantasy/fictional mountian scape when i started this. NOT a scape that appeared preplanned. Nor one that would be submitted in a Scaping contest and had to meet "certian criteria".

BUT i want it to look as nice and as pleasing to the eye as possible.

So....If you think that i need to make adjustments PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make suggestions now while i can still change things around. Beacuse after the flood, it will be too late.

Folks, help me out here.

Thx
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #34
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

PTrader: (672/100%)

Nicely said Don.

and holy cow thats huge reactor!

what are you going fill it with? And why bigger?
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #35
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice hardscape!!! puts mine to shame lol. BTW what the proper name of "the wall of the sun" in LOTR?? I dont remember any.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #36
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
I always ask myself, "What would please me?" Because, honestly: you aren't going to be able to please everyone. What lacks "flow" to someone else may look "perfect" to you or a different person. I like it just fine. Why make it look like someone else's tank? Did you get into this hobby to please everyone else?

I love these supposed know-it-all's who proclaim to know everything about everything regarding "aquascaping." You're not entering this into a contest, so who cares? Go for something that you find nice, and try to put a unique spin on it. Or don't. But I wouldn't think twice about a random comment regarding the "flow" of the scape....that's subjective silliness.

Good job so far, Mr. Chad!
Thx alot crazy for the vote of confidence. I like it as is and am going to roll forward with it like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Nicely said Don.

and holy cow thats huge reactor!

what are you going fill it with? And why bigger?
I went with a 3" diameter PVC this time because of the 1" ID tubing on the FX5. You see, last time i used the 2" because i split the 1" line into two 5/8 line. One for the inline heater and one for the reactor.

So i figured, with the increase in water flow into the reactor due to the larger line, id better make it slightly bigger to accomidate it. Plus bigger cant hurt when it comes to difusing the co2.

I am not going to put anything in it, so i dont have to worry about it clogging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribkeeper888 View Post
Nice hardscape!!! puts mine to shame lol. BTW what the proper name of "the wall of the sun" in LOTR?? I dont remember any.
Thx krib.

"Wall of the Sun is a mountian range in the Land of the Sun during the before the change of the world"

A quote from a website dedicated to LOTR.

I searched for mountian peaks and range names in the LOTR series. Made a list of names and just chose this one beacause i thought it sounded the coolest.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #37
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

I see! Makes sense!

I never made a reactor before but if you don't have anything inside how does the co2 bubble diffuse/breaks down?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #38
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Clearly not well versed enough in the silmarilion waaaa.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I see! Makes sense!

I never made a reactor before but if you don't have anything inside how does the co2 bubble diffuse/breaks down?

Well, with the water coming in on the top and out from the bottom and the co2 entering the reactor via a hose that extends into the reactor down 2/3 of the length of the reactor. The co2 rises from the bottom to the top. Turbulence within the reactor tumbles the co2 around, prolonging the contact time with the water, equalling: better diffusion/absorption.

So..... like i said above, i made the volume larger within the reactor not only to facilitate the increased water flow but to increase the absorption time.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

Ahhh make sense now!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #41
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Your tank looks nice and the reactor should work good, I have a smaller version on my 10 gallon and it keeps the drop checker lime green with only 1 bubble every 8 seconds, super economy.

I like the look of your tank and I am actually thinking about doing something similar with my 150 gallon, I want the rocks to extend from one side to the other making several terraces, then I only want to use 3 or 4 nano style plants with a ton of shrimp and one school of fish, I alway love the minimalistic look.

Nice job!!
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

Any updates Chad?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Your tank looks nice and the reactor should work good, I have a smaller version on my 10 gallon and it keeps the drop checker lime green with only 1 bubble every 8 seconds, super economy.

I like the look of your tank and I am actually thinking about doing something similar with my 150 gallon, I want the rocks to extend from one side to the other making several terraces, then I only want to use 3 or 4 nano style plants with a ton of shrimp and one school of fish, I alway love the minimalistic look.

Nice job!!
thx

thats my goal. "minimalistic". just a few species of plants and one species of fish. a smal fish that schools well. i am just not too sure on what fish just yet.

Quote:
Any updates Chad?
actually i am on my way down to get to work right now removing the sand. and adding a bit more AS where it needs it.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #44
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Chad it's off to a good start. I'm looking forward to see how it grows in for you.

I agree with Don, our tanks are for us individually 1st and foremost. While comments may (or may not) be correct from a artistic perspective or from a mechanical application stand point they will always remain just another opinion. When it's all said you will be looking at the tank daily.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #45
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
.... my goal. "minimalistic". just a few species of plants and one species of fish. a smal fish that schools well. i am just not too sure on what fish just yet. ....
I think that will be what will really make this tank special. The nice thing with a tank this size you can go BIG on your school of fish. Like 50-60 neons.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.