external filter for a Fluval Ebi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

external filter for a Fluval Ebi

Hi all -

Ok, I got my Archea 50w mini heater and I am pretty satisfied! It's so tiny, but it has an external controller just like I wanted. I originally wanted to find a heater that could go inside my filter, but this thing is so small I'm not sure I care anymore.

Now on to the filter. That fluval internal filter is so huge and ugly - I am tired of looking at it. So, I want to get an external filter. Seems simple enough, but then I realized that the stand I have the tank on would place the bottom of the filter about 30 inches below the surface of the water! To make matters worse, the little cabinet on the bottom of my stand is only 11 inches tall. So, this is going to be tight!

I am considering a Zoomed 501 but I'm pretty sure it couldn't handle the head pressure very well. Same probably goes for the little Tom's or Finnex cannister models. So, this is no good!

I could do the smallest Eheim classic if it weren't just an inch to tall
I am determined to get an external filter, but I can't find any options except maybe to get a different stand! I like the stand, though, because it looks nice in my office. This tank is in a spot where there is really no place to put a canister filter except in the stand, and it's my office so I really need to keep it neat.

Does anyone happen to know a filter that is 10 inches or less in height? Or have any other ideas? Or, maybe the Finnex little cannister could handle the head pressure - I am doubtful!

thanks, Dave

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

I use the Zoomed 501and couldn't be happier. I use the spray bar that came with it.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Where is the filter is relation to the tank??

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

I'm starting to think that the TOM Rapids Mini filter might be worth a try, because at least it can hang on the back of the tank. It may not look that great, but it's cat-proof and will look decent.

But, I wonder if I'd have to cut/modify the glass to fit it on there. I don't really mind that, but has anyone used the TOMS Rapids filter with the Ebi???

Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
kcharm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was using the Zoomed, same size everything as the Tom's, with my Flora. You need to trim out the corners of the rear plastic things that hold the lid a little bit to get the hose in there but it does fit.

When that filter died on me recently, I bought an Eheim 2213. I was going to buy a 2211 but Big Al's was having a sale and out of stock on the 2211. I don't know if the 2211 has tubing the same size as the Zoomed (and Tom's) but the 2213 is larger diameter. I need to trim the corners of the lid a bit to get it to sit flat. At some point I'll get around to do that.

Based on my experiences with the Zoomed and what I've read about the Tom's, go to Big Al's online and order an Eheim while they're still on sale. They're not much more expensive, will provide better flow, and will likely last you a lifetime.
kcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
temple2101
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Have you seen these?

http://amzn.com/B008L43CXY

I have 2 EBIs (one setup and one waiting to setup) and I've been thinking about trying these. I'm debating the Eheim 2213 as well, but I'm really intrigued by the AquaTop. I only wish the AquaTop was about $10 cheaper, but if it works as described I would think it's a pretty good option for the EBI at 135gph.

I actually like the internal filter (while ugly) I think it does a good job when setup properly. What I HATE is cleaning it. I'm tired of taking the whole thing out to clean it each week because the flow goes from full blast to almost nothing in less than a week.
temple2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcharm View Post
order an Eheim while they're still on sale. They're not much more expensive, will provide better flow, and will likely last you a lifetime.
The Eheim will not fit in my stand so I'm hoping to find a filter that will work for me rather than getting a new stand. Where was the Zoomed in relation to your tank? below it, next to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple2101 View Post
Have you seen these?

http://amzn.com/B008L43CXY

I have 2 EBIs (one setup and one waiting to setup) and I've been thinking about trying these. I'm debating the Eheim 2213 as well, but I'm really intrigued by the AquaTop. I only wish the AquaTop was about $10 cheaper, but if it works as described I would think it's a pretty good option for the EBI at 135gph.

I actually like the internal filter (while ugly) I think it does a good job when setup properly. What I HATE is cleaning it. I'm tired of taking the whole thing out to clean it each week because the flow goes from full blast to almost nothing in less than a week.
135gph seems pretty excessive for the Ebi but at least it's adjustable! I have never seen this little filter before! I wonder if it's better quality than the TOMS. I have curious cats so I can't go lidless and really it has to be sealed up, so a HOB cannister might do the trick, yea.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Agreed, go with an eheim.
Cost more up front, but your tank will thank you.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Agreed, go with an eheim.
Cost more up front, but your tank will thank you.
Not worried about cost. I am trying to get something that will look nicer than the internal filter, and the Eheim doesn't fit in my stand.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcharm View Post
I was using the Zoomed, same size everything as the Tom's, with my Flora. You need to trim out the corners of the rear plastic things that hold the lid a little bit to get the hose in there but it does fit.

When that filter died on me recently, I bought an Eheim 2213. I was going to buy a 2211 but Big Al's was having a sale and out of stock on the 2211. I don't know if the 2211 has tubing the same size as the Zoomed (and Tom's) but the 2213 is larger diameter. I need to trim the corners of the lid a bit to get it to sit flat. At some point I'll get around to do that.

Based on my experiences with the Zoomed and what I've read about the Tom's, go to Big Al's online and order an Eheim while they're still on sale. They're not much more expensive, will provide better flow, and will likely last you a lifetime.
When you had the Zoomed, did you use the included fittings, etc? I'm finding that the built-in background makes it really hard to get everything into place - even with a notch cut out of the plastic lid holders, it doesn't sit flat because the background doesn't leave enough room for the tubes to be straight!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
kcharm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The background ripped itself out, so that wasn't an issue for me. At various points, I had the ZooMed both below and beside (or behind) the tank. When it died, it was beside the tank.

The 2213 is WAY too much flow and mine is very throttled back. The fish seem to like it! I'll probably end up reducing flow a bit more when I add a foam filter to the intake to help save shrimp, but I doubt it'll reduce the flow much.

Sucks that the Eheim won't fit in your stand. I really like buying Eheim products because I know that I'll have them for life...they just don't ever break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
When you had the Zoomed, did you use the included fittings, etc? I'm finding that the built-in background makes it really hard to get everything into place - even with a notch cut out of the plastic lid holders, it doesn't sit flat because the background doesn't leave enough room for the tubes to be straight!
kcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

I know, I am really struggling with this because I want the filter OUT but I can't find a perfect solution. I bought a TOMS and a Azoo and I'm looking at both, trying to figure out how to go.

The TOMS hangs on the back - that is nice! But the hoses are bigger and it will be tricky to get the tubes into the tank without altering the background and maybe the glass. The Azoo uses smaller tubes, but doensn't hang on the back. Neither of them have enough power to put the pump down below.

The Eheim sounds good, but I don't really want that much flow in the tank. The little internal Fluval is already too much - my puffers seem to like gentle flow.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

eheim makes a 2211. which is pretty small, might work for you. im running an eheim 2215 on my fluval flora which is good flow, with room for a decrease or increase in flow. amazon has it for 85 i think. good luck.
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

It's just a couple of inches too tall

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Have you considered building a DIY canister filter? Never did one but doesn't seem like its hard if you know how a traditional canister filter works. Water pump tuber ware tubes silicone and bingo done deal to your standards.
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote