My nano-pond project update [2-25-2013]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
hlaalu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My nano-pond project update [2-25-2013]

Update 2/25/2013

Well tons of stuff have been done. Swapped the black sand for flourite, different plants, and different fish. Tons of fry and shrimplets, this is a very fertile tank! Here are some pics!

Still my favorite fish

Here is the tank as it is today:

I'm going to take out that big "el nino fern" that I bought from petsmart a while ago. They look really great the first few months but don't grow. After a close look, it appears they just cut a bunch of leaves and tie them together at the stems and make it look like it's actually a whole plant.

After switching from the black sand I tried getting a nice grass carpet to grow, but was unsuccesful:

Now, pretty much all grass is gone. I wonder if it just has a hard time growing in the flourite because in the sand it seemed to actually spread.

I'm going to try an HC carpet this week, hopefully that will actually spread

Archive:
Hello everyone! I wanted to share my new project after I found this neat community. I used to have tons of tanks back in the day, sw, fw, etc but after moving across the country for college and work, I ended up packing it all away. BUT, about a month ago, I traded a protein skimmer for this neat Fluval Spec V and decided to set something up again, here's' what my tank looks like so far:

Pretty basic as of now, a few pieces of drift wood and two plants.

This black molly is the king of the tank, and you can also see a pregnant guppy about to burst

I also have ghost shrimp and snails to help me with the cleaning.

Other fish are tetras, an orange molly (I think?), and a little algae eater.

The tank is in the process of being modified. The stock lights are horrible, so right now it has a a Marineland LED setup.

I really didn't like the filtration setup on this tank either, and a lot of my googling shows I wasn't the only one.

There is a little hole at the bottom for some reason where water can get sucked in and bypass the carbon and other media. My best guess is that it is for safety purposes, so if the tank gets very low and the water does not reach the overflow, the pump won't burn out. Who knows? So i sealed that up, and also add a pieces of plexi to the top overflow, to raise the water level and actually make the water fall into the back chamber. Here are some pictures of that:

The water flows onto bio balls, a sponge, carbon, more bio balls, another sponge, and then into the pump.

Here you can see the difference in water levels. This is how a real overflow should be imho.

You probably noticed the piece of tape I put there. I'm using it to mark my evaporation rate, but also thought it was cool how it cancelled out the frosting done to the glass, and allows me to see clearly into the back part. Weird, but neat.

So now I'm on the hunt for a different pump, something with a little more flow, but small enough to fit in the back.

Also, what are you guys doing for CO2 on these small tanks? I'm afraid I will harm the fish if I add one, but would like to to add more plants.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by hlaalu; 02-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Update
hlaalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

id go diy yeast based for the c02 nice job so far
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
hlaalu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticGuppy92 View Post
id go diy yeast based for the c02 nice job so far
Thanks! Never heard of that, I'll do some research!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

its pretty simple look at the diy section of the forum its a good cheap method for smaller tanks
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaalu View Post
You probably noticed the piece of tape I put there. I'm using it to mark my evaporation rate, but also thought it was cool how it cancelled out the frosting done to the glass, and allows me to see clearly into the back part. Weird, but neat.
Whoa, that's really cool. I'm going to try that on my 2G Fluval Spec.

What did you seal the bottom hole up with?
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
hlaalu
Algae Grower

After looking at the diy yeast, it seems like a lot of work. I was thinking some easier and neater looking, as I have the tank on a ledge between my kitchen and family room. How long would one of these last for a 5 gallon tank? It's the fluval mini co2 system on ebay for $22 brand new lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
hlaalu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Whoa, that's really cool. I'm going to try that on my 2G Fluval Spec.

What did you seal the bottom hole up with?
I super glued a square piece of acrylic on the inside. Just be sure to use cyanoacrylate to make sure it's safe for the aquarium.

And I was really lazy, didn't want to drain the whole tank so put a piece of duct tape over the whole from the tank side, which sealed it and I was then able to drain the back, dry it off and patch it up!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I super glued a square piece of acrylic on the inside. Just be sure to use cyanoacrylate to make sure it's safe for the aquarium.

And I was really lazy, didn't want to drain the whole tank so put a piece of duct tape over the whole from the tank side, which sealed it and I was then able to drain the back, dry it off and patch it up!
Awesome thanks for the tip, I'll be doing that tonight!

As for the DIY CO2 - it's not the size of the tank that matters, but the quantity of material the yeast have to eat, how active they are, etc. You can make a "prettier" one by using a sports water bottle or similar as your container, rather than a soda bottle or gatorade bottle.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, I've had this system:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Nutrafin.../dp/B00026058Y

going for about 3 weeks straight so far on one "charge" of the yeast it came with.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
After looking at the diy yeast, it seems like a lot of work. I was thinking some easier and neater looking, as I have the tank on a ledge between my kitchen and family room. How long would one of these last for a 5 gallon tank? It's the fluval mini co2 system on ebay for $22 brand new lol.
Ugh, I do NOT reccomend that kit. I've read on here that the stock diffusion method is pretty much worthless so I bought one and used it with a ceramic diffuser. It lasted two days! Check out the low tech forum, lots of people have really nice tanks without co2. DIY also isn't as bad as it sounds. I've used it with the jello recipe in the past (I think the thread is called DIY CO2 made easy, or something like that) and had nice, consistent bubbles that lasted several weeks.

Last edited by rocksmom; 09-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: bad grammar is bad
rocksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hey guys! Interesting work on your spec.

I have one, and I don't personally recommend plugging up the bottom hole. I did something a little simpler. I put a large enough sheet of square cross stitch net in front of the filter pad. It works wonders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348523862.067663.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	54326

The white stuff is the ceramic net behind it.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

If your looking for more flow you should be able to fit this pump in the back chamber, should get you the flow you want. Here's more info on that pump.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Hey guys! Interesting work on your spec.

I have one, and I don't personally recommend plugging up the bottom hole. I did something a little simpler. I put a large enough sheet of square cross stitch net in front of the filter pad. It works wonders.
Thanks MABJ - I ended up cutting a square of "filter floss" pad and sticking it behind the hole (wedged between the gray filter block and the wall). Looks like it will work wonderfully.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
hlaalu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
If your looking for more flow you should be able to fit this pump in the back chamber, should get you the flow you want. Here's more info on that pump.
I've heard that pump is great for these tanks, but was never able to find a place that has them in stock. Even Amazon and ebay have been dry of them. Do you know any sites that still sell them? I'd love to get my hands on one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Thanks MABJ - I ended up cutting a square of "filter floss" pad and sticking it behind the hole (wedged between the gray filter block and the wall). Looks like it will work wonderfully.
Nice, watch, you'll notice your filter will trap a lot more crap!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
hlaalu
Algae Grower

So I did a little rearranging today, and added another plant and some grass.

When I was doing that, my soon-to-be mom guppy started popping out kids. As soon as she popped out one, it got eaten So I had to quickly rig something up for the babies lol

Here are some pics!

The tank so far, and the baby-pen

Here are a few resting on my magfloat

Does the grass do a good job of spreading out on it's on?

Thanks for looking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.