40 Gallon Community Journal (L260 Plecos are in!) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #31
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hey Newman! I like the new set up, and the branch placement is brilliant! Nice work!

For me, if I were doing a tank of this type, I would probably suggest the addition of a few things:

1. A nice piece of driftwood that's comes up from the back corner by the sword plant, and maybe branches along the back of the tank.

2. In front of the suggested driftwood, the addition of another two swords to compliment the first sword already there....in the wild, these guys grow in patches, and it would add a bold bright green. It would look nice.

3. In front of the sword patch, add a nice long and thick piece of driftwood running at a diagonal such that the back end starts at the back of the tank towards the left side (maybe a third of the way from the extreme left side), runs in front of the swords partially obscuring them (not too much...just a bit), and ends close to the right front part of the tank.

4. Last, I would add several plants of Echinodorus tennelus in front of the large piece of driftwood partially obscuring the large swords. I would concentrate on planting most of the tennelus just right of center of the tank and following the large driftwood to the right. This will slowly spread and form a natural carpet.

Make sure that you use some good root tabs, too.

I think that the addition of the driftwood would add to the mystery and stark, dramatic atmosphere that you have going on in there. It's dark with a slight eerie glow from the LED lighting. The leaves will tone the substrate down even more. You will have a lot of nice lines in there that all lead the eye toward the bright patch of green swords....a happy spot in an otherwise "bleak"looking design. It would be phenomenal! Especially seeing the fish swimming around the branches of the driftwood you have in there already.....it would look original and would be extremely eye catching.

Just my two cents!
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #32
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Hey Newman! I like the new set up, and the branch placement is brilliant! Nice work!

For me, if I were doing a tank of this type, I would probably suggest the addition of a few things:

1. A nice piece of driftwood that's comes up from the back corner by the sword plant, and maybe branches along the back of the tank.

2. In front of the suggested driftwood, the addition of another two swords to compliment the first sword already there....in the wild, these guys grow in patches, and it would add a bold bright green. It would look nice.

3. In front of the sword patch, add a nice long and thick piece of driftwood running at a diagonal such that the back end starts at the back of the tank towards the left side (maybe a third of the way from the extreme left side), runs in front of the swords partially obscuring them (not too much...just a bit), and ends close to the right front part of the tank.

4. Last, I would add several plants of Echinodorus tennelus in front of the large piece of driftwood partially obscuring the large swords. I would concentrate on planting most of the tennelus just right of center of the tank and following the large driftwood to the right. This will slowly spread and form a natural carpet.

Make sure that you use some good root tabs, too.

I think that the addition of the driftwood would add to the mystery and stark, dramatic atmosphere that you have going on in there. It's dark with a slight eerie glow from the LED lighting. The leaves will tone the substrate down even more. You will have a lot of nice lines in there that all lead the eye toward the bright patch of green swords....a happy spot in an otherwise "bleak"looking design. It would be phenomenal! Especially seeing the fish swimming around the branches of the driftwood you have in there already.....it would look original and would be extremely eye catching.

Just my two cents!
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see what I can do. I get my DW from my backyard, I can't really afford to buy it haha. Depending on what I find, it might work along with what you have suggested. I do not think there is enough light to support a growth of carpet, since the light is centered around just the sword (in a spotlight), but I'll see how it plays out. I happen to have pygmy chains growing in my shrimp bowl, so i already have a source for them.
It looks like i have one sword plant in here but there are actually two. So I would just have to raise another one once these start to reproduce for a total of 3 right? that's how many you recommend?
Could you maybe do schematic in microsoft paint to show what you mean with the DW placement and the plants you want to add? if it is not too much trouble, thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #33
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Well i suppose its time to update the thread. recently added a large piece of DW, I think it looks nice. finally sold off all of my pleco fry.
just keeping a few albinos and the breeder pair for now. might sell in the future and try a rarer pleco.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #34
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

found some mystery eggs:

what could they be? pygmy cory eggs?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #35
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yep those are pygmy cory eggs
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #36
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

sweet! thanks for the id!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #37
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

One of them hatched! here is a pic comparing the fry with the egg and some crushed flake which turns out to be too big for the fry even though it's crushed! also the fry has a yolk sac so it wont feed for a while.

close up of fry. definitely pygmy cory:
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

both of them hatched now!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #39
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

The L260s are acclimating!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Acclimation photo:

Really difficult to get pics of these guys once they were in the tank, but here are two:

Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #41
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

i lost one of the pygmy cory fry due to bloat. but the other is doing well and has grown:

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #42
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

pymgy cory fry still doing well!

Also update on the L260 plecos. Update pics! These guys grow much slower than my albino BN juvies. my BNs are about 2"+ a piece and these L260 are still around 1.5" each. i hope they are eating and growing! pics taken at night so that i could catch them out and about on the DW. the fishe's color can appear washed out at night as we all know.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Update pics on the cory fry:

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #44
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

more of the cory! He is doing well.
September 8, 2013 (Eggs laid)

September 11, 2013 (Hatch day)

September 25, 2013 (Growing!)

October 12, 2013 (Looks like a cory now!)

October 23, 2012 (Definitely Pygmy cory. as if there was any doubt before lol)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #45
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

I released the cory fry into the tank two days ago. i saw him last night zipping around on the substrate in the dark. i hope he manages fine.

also saw my L260 plecos eat zucchini for the first time with the albino BNs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.