17 gal riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

17 gal riparium

Hello. This is my first ever journal. I have a 29 gal planted tank that has been running for about 3 years now so I'm not a total beginner. This will be my first riparium. Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I also welcome and appreciate critiques and opinions and advice and anything else you feel like sharing with me.

The tank is a Mr. Aqua 17.1 gal. First my mom helped me build a stand. We made it out of 2x4s and then used plywood for the top and bottom and shelves and a thinner plywood for the sides. We morticed (sp? word?) the corners of the 2x4 top and bottom frames. I did not want doors on it because I am lazy and don't like to open/close cabinet doors. I'm not even kidding I am that lazy. Here is the basic frame with the tank and its new occupant--a siamese fighting catfish:

And here it is all done with the tank on it:

So then I got some beach rocks and I know this is controversial. These are rocks found on the cost of Maine. They are probably granite? They are very hard, I cannot scrape any off with my fingernail. I have also put them in a bucket of water to soak for a month and I have some results but I'm not sure if here is the best place to post them or if I should have a new thread for that. I'll be using RO water for this tank as my well water is wacky.

I have a BuildMyLED light on its way and I have ordered a starter kit from hydrophite for the hangers and riparium plants. I also plan to plant a few (not a ton) of low light, easy aquatic plants like java fern maybe or a sword.

Here is how I have laid out the rocks. Please give me critques of the layout. I have included a second picture with labels to make it easier. Also if you see any rocks you think have no buisness being in a fish tank also please speak up.

So next up, once I decide on the rocks for sure I will clean them--not sure if I'm going to bleach or if I will just use H202. Then I have some white pool filter sand... I thought it would be a little darker, maybe it darkens up when it's wet? Because it's a little whiter in the bag then I was hoping it would be.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well don't all talk at once. Not even a comment about my cute meezers? Tough crowd I guess. Or is there a secret handshake I'm missing?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
poppyseed
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like it! The only thing that throws me off is how little sand there is. I know it's usually only a problem to have too much substrate, but it just seems like it's at an odd place between bare bottom and not.

If you want a critique about the rocks, maybe that they cover the ground too perfectly? You could try taking out B or D to see how it looks, or maybe try and stagger them a little towards the back so it doesn't seem like such a straight line.

Looks like a good start though. I'll be starting a riparium soon too.

p.s. are you a miyazaki fan?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

poppyseed,
Thanks a lot for your input! Yes I am a Miyazaki fan ever since I was a little kid and watched "Warriors of the Wind" and then of course grew up and realized I'd been seeing the dumbed-down version so had to get the real thing.

Sorry, those are paper towels I have spread down. I thought it was obvious but then I just went back and looked at the picture and can totally see how it could look like really white sand very thinly spread LOL! I just put down the paper towels so the rocks wouldn't hurt the glass while moving them around. Once I figure out the best way to arrange them, and then clean them I'll add the sand.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
jbig
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
I like it! The only thing that throws me off is how little sand there is. I know it's usually only a problem to have too much substrate, but it just seems like it's at an odd place between bare bottom and not.

If you want a critique about the rocks, maybe that they cover the ground too perfectly? You could try taking out B or D to see how it looks, or maybe try and stagger them a little towards the back so it doesn't seem like such a straight line.

Looks like a good start though. I'll be starting a riparium soon too.

p.s. are you a miyazaki fan?

I think he/she is just using a piece of paper to prevent any scratches on the bottom of the aquarium. (correct me if i'm wrong)

I do agree with poppyseed though. I think you have too many rocks in there and it looks cluttered. Then again, I've never done a riparium.

side note: thats a perrty tank.
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks jbig.

I do like the tank. I have a 10 g I was considering de-rimming but I'm really glad I splurged and bought the Mr. Aqua.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
poppyseed
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
poppyseed,
Thanks a lot for your input! Yes I am a Miyazaki fan ever since I was a little kid and watched "Warriors of the Wind" and then of course grew up and realized I'd been seeing the dumbed-down version so had to get the real thing.

Sorry, those are paper towels I have spread down. I thought it was obvious but then I just went back and looked at the picture and can totally see how it could look like really white sand very thinly spread LOL! I just put down the paper towels so the rocks wouldn't hurt the glass while moving them around. Once I figure out the best way to arrange them, and then clean them I'll add the sand.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
LOL now it's painfully obvious to me that those are paper towels. Guess it's time for more coffee!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice looking stand but I hope the back wall is strong. Otherwise I don't see much lateral stability in that stand.
I suppose if that middle shelf is secured, and not just resting, you'll gain some lateral stability.

Last edited by PlantedTankRookie; 01-29-2014 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: note to self: precede criticism with compliment
PlantedTankRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #9
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

This wouldn't speak to the lateral issue but the sides both have the thicker plywood on them and the bottom and top. Yes the shelf is attached. It is actually pretty sturdy. The bottom shelf we put a piece of Plexiglass on so that I can put anything that gets a little wet (buckets and such) down there. I'm going to put some padding under the tank itself.

I guess we could go back and put a heavier piece of plywood on the back instead of the thinner stuff. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.