Converting Aqueon 36g Bowfront to Planted (56k Warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
ChappyEight
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Converting Aqueon 36g Bowfront to Planted (56k Warning)

After about a year of successful fishkeeping in my 36g bowfront with fake plants, I've decided to give planted a go. I've been reading up quite a bit and I think I have a general direction I'm looking to go.

Interestingly, I had no intention whatsoever to ever own an aquarium. But, we promised my son as a reward for behaving the first week of Kindergarten that we would buy him one. So, completely clueless, we walked into PetSmart and spent $350 and came home with (what we assumed) was everything we needed and some fish.

Nearly a year after that purchase and 5 years worth of knowledge later (thanks internet), I realize that the reason I was a mass-murderer of fish was because I had no clue what I was doing. Now that I've educated myself and been successful with the tank, I'm looking to take the next step and the big gravel and fake plants/wood, etc. just aren't cutting it anymore. (Oh, and if you couldn't tell, my 6 and 4 year olds "decorated" the aquarium.)

With my schedule this could take 3 years to complete, ha, we'll see.

All that said, I'll list below the equipment I currently have running and the equipment I've ordered to get ready for the planted tank. I'm not going to list the livestock out right now, but suffice to say I'm way overstocked right now but with large water changes my levels are good. Hoping to get a second tank for the 4 year old's room soon and I'll divvy up the livestock amongst the two tanks (can't bring myself to flush healthy animals).

Here's the equipment:

---------------------------------------------

Aquarium: Aqueon 36-gallon Bowfront

BEFORE:
  1. Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter
  2. Stock plastic Canopy
  3. Stock Fluorescent 17w light
  4. Aqueon Submersible Heater (200Watt)
  5. Stick-on mercury thermometer

AFTER:
  1. Fluval 306 Filter
  2. Filter-Max III pre-filter
  3. All-glass canopy
  4. Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Light
  5. Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater (200w)
  6. Lifegard Aquatics Digital Temp Alert thermometer

2015-03-16 (Before)

- Landon

Last edited by ChappyEight; 03-17-2015 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Added pics.
ChappyEight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Freemananana
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

3 years?! It isn't that hard! haha. You already have an established tank. The only thing I have to say is that the planted+ might not reach the front of your box. I have seen quite a few bow fronts with a secondary light in the front to get an even spread.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
ChappyEight
Algae Grower

[Updated the OP with more information.]

Good thought Freeman, thanks for chiming in.

I'm also still debating on going with a dirt tank or not. I've seen compelling cases made for both sides but I can't seem to decide just yet. I should probably get on it!

And here's a question I've not yet searched. When it's time to actually do the conversion (remove all the old crap and get the new started) should I leave the fish out for a certain amount of time? Or would it be fine if I just removed them for an hour or two while I got the base put in the main tank and then put them right back in?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting going. This weekend I'm going to get the new equipment all hooked up so the canister filter media can get colonized. Thinking I'll let it run for a couple weeks before starting the changeover.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
ChappyEight
Algae Grower

Okay, got the new filter, in-line heater, glass canopy, and Finnex Planted+ hooked up this weekend. Hoping to dirt and plant next weekend...

Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
ChappyEight
Algae Grower

Finally got it planted!
  • Substrate: The tank is dirted (Dustin's Fish Tanks style) with MGOPM and a CaribSea Super Naturals Peace River cap.
  • Driftwood: Manzanita
  • Plants: Anubias, Jungle Val, Rotala, Dwarf Sag, Java Fern, Java Moss

Looking forward to how it fills in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.