75 gal Riverscape Build - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I worked so hard on my DW to get it ready for this tank and the white fungus has BLOWN up on the larger piece at the right. I am debating on yanking it out, scrubbing it down somethin' fierce and trying to get it back in without causing too many issues.

whaddya think??
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #17
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

If you're talking about a semi-translucent, gelatinous type of goo on the driftwood, that's normal in a new tank. I've had it in every tank and it goes away on its own.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have had it too, I just cant stand looking at it. The last time it happened to me, I scrubbed it and the condition disappeared rather quickly, how long did it take yours to go away??
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I don't think it's every lasted more than two weeks, but honestly I don't bother to keep track since I know it will go away anyhow.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've only ever had this happen to wood which was pre-bogged down from local sources like rivers and lakes. I usually just leave it but in rare cases where it had to come off for a customer or friends tank I would remove, then use a plastic kitchen brush to really catch all of it then dig into the crevasses until gone.

I have never found out what it was.

Imi
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I don't think it's every lasted more than two weeks, but honestly I don't bother to keep track since I know it will go away anyhow.
Alright, I'll let it ride for a while. thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its been a few weeks now and the growth is less than I thought it would be. I have learned that this game takes patience but I am not sure what to do in order to help things along. Heres what I am seeing:

Brown algae is colonizing almost every aspect of the tank.

I gently scrubbed the fungus off the DW and it seems to be staying at bay.

I have seen very little growth at all in my plants.

I have only one 55 watt bulb on for about 9 hours per day. Should I boost the photoperiod, run two bulbs, or try a timed burst during the middle of the photoperiod?

I am running about 3 bubbles per second.............and my fish seemed to be close to their max. Drop checker is very light green by mid day. I could try and increase it a bit.

any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #23
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

you can see some new growth from the amazon sword but the leaves seem to be awfully transparent.........am I having a deficiency somewhere. I am dosing EI ferts 2 times a week

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: room
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Diatoms are literally taking over this tank! I scrubbed a bunch off today and did a 70% WC. DW fungus is back in full force and both chichlids jumped out of the tank! Anyone heard of Keyholes jumping out of tanks??? I hope this is not a bad omen and that the tank I ahve worked so hard to create is just not a good enough home!!! Any help would be much apprecaiated! Also..........there are some new leaves growing but a fair amount of leaves are transparent.....no chloroplasts showing at all, any suggesstions????
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its been a month since my last update. My plants have acclimated now......... Some better than others. The dwarf sag has taken off and has filled in nicely. The A. hastifolia has some algae issues but is growing nicely. I am pleased overall with the growth, despite losing much of my rotala to melting. The remaining stems are growing but slowly. I planted a ton of fert tabs throughout and it has helped the heavy root feeding swords a ton.

I rescaped a bit on the left by changing the wood. I like it much better now. Any critiques of the look are appreciated.

The diatoms have all but disappeared now and only minor green algae issue occur on the rough BG.

I have not had good luck with my stocking. I have had some mysterious fish deaths............not sure if the number is alarming but it seems much too high for me. I lost 3/3 ottos in week, 4/6 praecox in a month, 7 black neons and 2 rasboras also in the past month. I rarely find a body. Now my last batch of black neons introduced Ich. I begin my battle tomorrow. Going with the Kordon Ich Attack as per Dogfish's recommmendation. Last time I ever skip a quarantine, thats for sure.

I am hoping to start a batch of jungle vals in the back left instead of the swords. I am really hoping they take off. Also thinking it needs a splash of red somewhere. I am leary of trying red stems as I am not the best stem grower. The tank shows my ineptness. Wish I could figure them out! ONly plant connection I have up here is petco, shipping only works if its overnight and the cost is absurd for only a few stems. I am on a deserted island up here as far as getting plants. That sucks!

Thanks for any advice or critiques. Will post pics tomorrow if anyones interested
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #26
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

thinking of doing some minor changes now that the plants have become somewhat established. I may try and add some anarchis or some other stem if I can find a decent one. Day 3 of Ich treatment with Kordon and fish seem livelier and doing alright. Only a few adult forms spotted.

Any thoughts as to some minor changes would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I need some more depth? Maybe more plant growth!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could get them to blow up better. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	57285  

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: room
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #27
oliver77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Diatoms are literally taking over this tank! I scrubbed a bunch off today and did a 70% WC. DW fungus is back in full force and both chichlids jumped out of the tank! Anyone heard of Keyholes jumping out of tanks??? I hope this is not a bad omen and that the tank I ahve worked so hard to create is just not a good enough home!!! Any help would be much apprecaiated! Also..........there are some new leaves growing but a fair amount of leaves are transparent.....no chloroplasts showing at all, any suggesstions????
Get SAEs... they love diatoms.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #28
oliver77
Algae Grower

Love this shot...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #29
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Red plants: Echinodorus Rubin, or some Crypts along the mid-ground/foreground. not to many unless you really like the standoutishness of them. Maybe some lighter colored Repens variety, or sunset hygrophila.

Mostly about contrast, think before adding make placement in your mind to help the other plants already there to stand out even more.

look around at the other tanks in the users photo gallery to get some idea of placement.
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #30
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Oliver77!

I like the repens and sunset hygro. Getting them wont be easy but I think I am going to really give it a try! I guess I will worry about placement when and IF I can get a hold the plants.

thanks for the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.