20Long low-light rescape for Celestial Pearl Danios
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
DizzyD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20Long low-light rescape for Celestial Pearl Danios

I want to do a major overhaul of this 20Long for Celestial Pearl Danios and need some input. I figured I would try one of these tank journals on this one because I enjoy reading other journals and I see all the helpful and creative tips people give.

This is what I know
For live Stock, As the title implies, I want to have Celestial Pearl Danios. I really like these fish. I'm considering a species tank or possibly keeping a colony of Red Cherry shrimp with them. But priority goes to the CPDs. I would love to get them to breed but I don't have much experience with breeding so I'm not too set on that. Other suggestion will be considered.

For Plants, I want to stay easy maintenance and low light(See Lighting below). Probably some Anubias, Java Fern and some type of moss(Christmas moss maybe?). Other than that I'm not too sure.

For Substrate, It kinda depends on the plants. I either want to put potting soil under the sand or, do straight flourite. Originally I really liked the black sand but it shows dirt really easy and its hard to clean, so I'm leaning towards the Flourite.

For Hardscape, I have some pretty awesome malaysian driftwood that I will reuse. I could probably use another piece or some rocks.

For Lighting, I'm Running a standard aquarium t12 with a 6500k fluorescent right now. It will be a little while before I can upgrade, hince the low light plant selections. This tank has successfully had various Anubias, Java Fern, Ludwigia in the past. I have also had some swords and some Hydrocotle that didn't do as well but lived. I might put a second 24 inch aquarium light on if needed. Eventually I will buy something a little better.

For Equipment - I've got a 100w heater that does pretty well although its not adjustable, so I might need to upgrade if the fish I'm keeping needs something different than 77-79. I've got a Aquaclear 20 with sponge and ceramic media on this tank as my primary filtration and a sponge filter as a secondary biological filter. What should I keep or Change with the filtration?

I also want to get one or two of these and use it as a HOB Plant box with some peace Lilys and maybe something else...

So here is where you come in. I'm up for any suggestions really. I'm most interested in plant and hardscape suggestions. Oh, and possibly some equipment help. I'll be trying to keep this up to date as I move forward.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

This sounds like a good start with a bunch of great ideas. Im a big fan of the CPD's as well. I am excited to see some photos of everything along the way. I am starting a 20 long soon myself so its exciting to see what other ideas people have.

I've had some good low light success with jungle and corkscrew vals in my low light 10 gallon. Other than that you've got some good choices. That would change though with the addition of some additional light. My other thought would be to think about upgrading filtration.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

my favorite fish!!!! you should totally go biotope with cpds and dwarf rosy loaches.

check this out
http://celestialpearldanio.com/forum...php?f=3&t=1062 if this link gets bombed there is a forum called celestialpearldaniodotcom

in the habitat section someone went through the trouble of finding plants found in the shan state and thus very likely to be biotope material.

since you want low light limnophila sessiflora is a good one. horn wort and anarcharis can be used as close substitutes for the species found there too. nymphaea pubescens also hails from the region. good luck man
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRiverPat View Post
This sounds like a good start with a bunch of great ideas. Im a big fan of the CPD's as well. I am excited to see some photos of everything along the way. I am starting a 20 long soon myself so its exciting to see what other ideas people have.

I've had some good low light success with jungle and corkscrew vals in my low light 10 gallon. Other than that you've got some good choices. That would change though with the addition of some additional light. My other thought would be to think about upgrading filtration.
I think the Vals would be too tall for the 20 long. I have some in my 28gallon and they are almost too tall for that. I might try them anyway though.
I agree with you on filtration though. I was looking at the finnex px-360 as a possibility, but even that might be to small. My dad sold his 110g tank to my uncle but kept his 2 x Fluval 405s. He said I could have one(I'm definitely taking him up on that offer whether I have a tank for it or not. I will eventually) but that might be to much filtration for this tank. Maybe the Finnex PX-360 and the Aquaclear 20 might do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
my favorite fish!!!! you should totally go biotope with cpds and dwarf rosy loaches.

check this out
http://celestialpearldanio.com/forum...php?f=3&t=1062 if this link gets bombed there is a forum called celestialpearldaniodotcom

in the habitat section someone went through the trouble of finding plants found in the shan state and thus very likely to be biotope material.

since you want low light limnophila sessiflora is a good one. horn wort and anarcharis can be used as close substitutes for the species found there too. nymphaea pubescens also hails from the region. good luck man
Wow, what a great link. It looks like they have yet to get the plants identified though, or did I miss something? I might have to look through my books when I get home and see if I can match up some of the pictures.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
I think the Vals would be too tall for the 20 long. I have some in my 28gallon and they are almost too tall for that. I might try them anyway though.
Yeah they grow quite long but that is kinda of what I like about them. I had them growing to the surface and then down the entire length of my 10 gallon. Regardless, it grows well in low light with minimal fertilizers.

Quote:
I agree with you on filtration though. I was looking at the finnex px-360 as a possibility, but even that might be to small.
Yeah those finnex filters seem like a good price but I haven't heard much about them so can't comment. The fact that its rated for tanks up to 25 gallon makes me think that you could still go bigger. I usually aim for at like 10x turnover.

Quote:
My dad sold his 110g tank to my uncle but kept his 2 x Fluval 405s. He said I could have one(I'm definitely taking him up on that offer whether I have a tank for it or not. I will eventually) but that might be to much filtration for this tank. Maybe the Finnex PX-360 and the Aquaclear 20 might do?
The 405 is a bit of overkill for this tank, but I would take him up on that offer in a heartbeat. I am looking for a 406 for my 40 breeder right now. You should definitely think about a 40B (in the future that is...). It's definitely an ideal footprint for a planted tank. You could get by with the finnex and the aquaclear if the bioload isn't too high. Also check out the eheim's (2213 or 2215). They are a little more expensive but there are some sales floating around right now for the holiday season.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRiverPat View Post
You should definitely think about a 40B (in the future that is...). It's definitely an ideal footprint for a planted tank.
I've wanted a 40Breeder since I started. Its like my favorite tank size, but I just don't have the room for it. I live with my cousin and have 3 tanks in my room. One day when I finally find my own place, I'm hopping to have a few bigger tanks.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
DizzyD
Algae Grower

So after much research, I decided on just adding another AC20, and a hob plant box for extra filtration/water movement. Ordered those 2 items today and am hopping to get started on this rebuild soon.
I had some leftovers from an order so I added some plants to the current set up just to see how they would do in this low light. I added some star grass, Jungle Val, Rotala Colorata, Dwarf Sag and some water spangles on top. We will see how they do. I'm hopeful but not expecting much.
I'm terrible about uploading pictures. I take them and then forget to upload them. I will try to get some up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

CPD's are awesome! I have about 15 or so in my 40B with Endlers. I'm really debating doing a species tank also with them and was considering moving them to a new 20L but I haven't decided. I may try to move out the Endlers but that seems like an impossible task as they are multiplying.

Something I noticed after being at my Dad's over the holiday...I ordered a large number of CPD and they went 3 ways, my Dad was one. He keeps his in a 20L and when I saw them yesterday I couldn't believe how much smaller his CPD's stayed compared to mine! Like WAY smaller, I'm not even sure his grew much since he picked them up from me. This tank (he has several) also has a strain of Endlers but it is not over stocked at all. Just found this very interesting.

This is why I am a little hesitant to move the CPD's into something smaller, I'm not sure how/if it would affect them. I really would love to have more of them!
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
CPD's are awesome! I have about 15 or so in my 40B with Endlers. I'm really debating doing a species tank also with them and was considering moving them to a new 20L but I haven't decided. I may try to move out the Endlers but that seems like an impossible task as they are multiplying.

Something I noticed after being at my Dad's over the holiday...I ordered a large number of CPD and they went 3 ways, my Dad was one. He keeps his in a 20L and when I saw them yesterday I couldn't believe how much smaller his CPD's stayed compared to mine! Like WAY smaller, I'm not even sure his grew much since he picked them up from me. This tank (he has several) also has a strain of Endlers but it is not over stocked at all. Just found this very interesting.

This is why I am a little hesitant to move the CPD's into something smaller, I'm not sure how/if it would affect them. I really would love to have more of them!
That is interesting. I know several fish have this ability to grow to a size that best suits their environment, but I thought that CPDs were small enough that a 20 vs a 40 would not make a difference.

I don't have space for a 40 at the moment or I would have one. I think I will set this 20L up for them and then possibly later on when I have the space get a 40b or a 50 and migrate them over.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
DizzyD
Algae Grower

So I got super lucky and got a 5g bucket full of free Anubias and Swords. Pretty big nice pieces too. A friend of mine bought a 180G tank off craigslist from a plant guy who gave him everything. My friend just wanted the tank for discuss so he pulled the plants and my dad and I split them.

I pretty much redid the whole tank with the Anubias. Did a 50% water change. I also added a second Aquaclear 20 HOB filter. Unfortunately I did not have room on the opposite side so the filters are side by side. I know thats not ideal. I'm considering a small power head or internal filter to get the water on the other side flowing.

I Love the new look and can't wait to get some CPD's for this tank. I was going to hold off until I got another tank for the current livestock but after seeing the crappy workmanship of the dollar per gallon sale at petco, I think I might just add the CPDs and leave the current livestock in here till I get something better for them.

The current stock are just a few mollies, some neon and glowlight tetras and some albino corries. I may move the Tetras and mollies to my 28 Bowfront to make some room for the CPDs

This is a full view. The lighting has been surprisingly working out pretty good for me. I guess because its a short tank. Again, this is only a 6500k 30" T12.

Left Side: I've got a couple plant clippings in the front left corner. Kinda seeing what they will do.

Right Side: The Stargrass in the front there has actually been a great surprize. I stuck a few tiny left over pieces in there from a order for my 28 gallon. I just didn't have any room left in the 28 so I stuck them in here to see if they would survive. They are actually doing better than the ones in the 28 gallon. I am not really sure why but I'm not complaining.

I had heard some horror stories from the forum about how bad these dollar per gallon tanks were but never expected them to be this bad... I think I'll be looking elsewhere for another aquarium.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
wade0328
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)

What the heck, that is crazy! I bought my 20 long form Petco at the dollar a gallon sale and mine was great looking perfect seams and everything.
wade0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Ya that is just wow, I've never seen anything that bad at my petco. Both my 40b and 20 long are dollar per gallon sale tanks and I have no issues but what you have in that pic is ridiculous. I would be tempted to alert a store employee if i saw that...but there is almost never an employee in that department in the store near me. I buy tanks there on sale and that is about it.

On another note, my CPD are spawning lately. I need to find something to transfer the moss to and shake out the eggs.
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the same setup. 20L with about 30 CPD's with a handful of Cherries in it. I just re-scaped mine last night and am in the process of setting up a egg trap to try to breed them. Good luck with yours
Old 04-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
DizzyD
Algae Grower

I finally found some CPDs for $4 each. I bought 6 and put them in last night. I'm going to be moving the rest of the fish out of this tank into my 28 bowfront and turning this into a cpd/cherry shrimp tank. And idea on a moss type that would promote breeding if really like to have 20-30 CPDs. I just can't afford that many at $4-6 each so I'm hoping I can get them to breed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

$1 per gallon or not, I have never seen any issues. I also visually inspect any before I buy. I have noticed the Tetra ones typically have the worst silicone jobs than the Aqueons. Although I always figured they were made at the same place LOL.

I found a really nice 10 gallon aqueon that had a really great silicone job on it at Pet Life so I bought it.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote