Confused journey of another nano - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #61
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Just looking around -- found at least one more baby, maybe two... How fast do these guys drop babies?

I was figuring two a week in a few weeks, but I'm shocked to have two+ within 6 days of purchase lol.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #62
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Holy crap you must love to type as much as you talk O.o Congrats on the lil fishy babies! If you're thinking about moving the cpo why not set them up in the tank you tore down? What's one more tank? lol
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #63
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Holy crap you must love to type as much as you talk O.o Congrats on the lil fishy babies! If you're thinking about moving the cpo why not set them up in the tank you tore down? What's one more tank? lol
I actually didn't remove a tank for them! I just redid the tank. It was my old Spec!

Yeah I've always been a talker lol.

Great to see you, bud! Hope all is well and health is excellent during this awesome holiday season.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #64
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah everything is okay as can be expected, talking bout open heart surgery fun fun lol. Not to steal your thread but up to 103 cherries (sure I missed a few lol) and 60 assassin snails (probably missed a few of those to lol) tank kind of went to hell once I got a girl lol imagine that! Getting ready to move them from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon in a few weeks Last but not least.....Imma be a baby daddy....she's 11 weeks pregnant now O.o Anyhow loving the tank more pics! Glad to see you're fitting in here well, I'll be around more now.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #65
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Wow!! Congrats! Time to slap a ring on that finger. Glad surgery went well. And no worries at all on the threadstealing. You should make your own build thread though, with 100+ cherries in a 10 gal, it'd be a fun sight to see.

You already have the 29 gal?

You certainly have a lot of assassin snails. I'm shocked. I remember when we were psyched at your little square eggs hatching. What do your snails eat?

Quote:
Yeah everything is okay as can be expected, talking bout open heart surgery fun fun lol. Not to steal your thread but up to 103 cherries (sure I missed a few lol) and 60 assassin snails (probably missed a few of those to lol) tank kind of went to hell once I got a girl lol imagine that! Getting ready to move them from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon in a few weeks Last but not least.....Imma be a baby daddy....she's 11 weeks pregnant now O.o Anyhow loving the tank more pics! Glad to see you're fitting in here well, I'll be around more now.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #66
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well if you recall I have a 29 gallon community tank full of tetras/danio/MTS, they are being upgraded to a 55 gallon (already have it and most equipment), then the shrimp will be upgraded to the 29 gallon, not entirely sure what I'll do with the 10 gallon yet I'm thinking snail only tank to feed my assassins. Then I have another 10 gallon I'm going to set up to grow plants only. Yeah it was pretty cool figuring out the square eggs and then finding lil baby sin's They eat....algae wafers lmao! I have yet to see them eat a snail but they sure do go after them wafers. I tossed a frozen bloodworm cube in there the other day, it was kind of amusing to watch a shimp and an assassin play tug of war with it lol. In the end they kind of ate like the dogs in lady and the tramp O.o
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #67
MABJ
Invert Warrior

That's really funny! I hope the stories of assassins eating shrimp aren't true for your tank!

But with 100+ of them I'm sure it'd be hard to tell.

Since the shrimp are getting such a big tank, you definitely should do a dynamic scape. Lots of tall driftwood, dense mosses and hidey holey rocks!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I hope the stories of assassins eating shrimp aren't true for your tank!
You know I seen an empty shrimp shell in the tank yesterday, pretty sure the assassins got to it. Looked like a molt only still had red spots inside. Even if the assassins did eat it more than likely it was sick or already dead. I've seen shrimp riding the assassins, eating with the assassins, grazing on the assassins, never have seen an assassin attack a snail though. I was going driftwood hunting down at the park today but my niece is sick so it's babysitting duty for me (or practice as my sister calls it...). Anyhow we better get back on subject, your tanks or the mods will yell at us! ~.O
Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #69
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
You know I seen an empty shrimp shell in the tank yesterday, pretty sure the assassins got to it. Looked like a molt only still had red spots inside. Even if the assassins did eat it more than likely it was sick or already dead. I've seen shrimp riding the assassins, eating with the assassins, grazing on the assassins, never have seen an assassin attack a snail though. I was going driftwood hunting down at the park today but my niece is sick so it's babysitting duty for me (or practice as my sister calls it...). Anyhow we better get back on subject, your tanks or the mods will yell at us! ~.O
Actually, this isn't true here. If a thread goes one way, it is OK. As there's something to be learned from every course of discussion. But it's nice your tank is harmonious.

Get lots of practice, as it'll be a shock to have a kid lol.

Over your sins, I'm nervous bout the crays. They do like to take nips out of their tank mates.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #70
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually, this isn't true here. If a thread goes one way, it is OK.
Yeah I know it was a joke....Watch out here comes the thread nazi! lol Yeah as far as CPO's I've heard they could be a bit aggressive. What are you keeping them with again? I know cherry shrimp, but even if they eat a few of them the reproduction rate should be higher than the amount they eat?? Unless they're just pigs lol
Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #71
MABJ
Invert Warrior

I'll post a picture soon, but my H. Formosa have developed a beautiful orange color on their dorsal fin. It really is beautiful, and they certainly are smart and interesting fish.

Quote:
Yeah I know it was a joke....Watch out here comes the thread nazi! lol Yeah as far as CPO's I've heard they could be a bit aggressive. What are you keeping them with again? I know cherry shrimp, but even if they eat a few of them the reproduction rate should be higher than the amount they eat?? Unless they're just pigs lol
That was my original thought, but I only have female cherries >______<. A friend is giving me a mix of fire reds, cherries and rillis soon, so maybe I'll get a little breeding action.

Theyre with snails, Shrimp and least killifish.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #72
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So your shrimp never really took off huh? Well when is your friend sending them to ya? Hopefully soon I'll be getting everything set up for my 29 gallon, that's when I'll be doing some culling I could send ya a few males even females, not culls, the higher grade ones, culls are going in the 55 gallon want to see how they do with my fish. Maybe we can work a deal out or something, still have some colored ramshorns? Would love to get my hands on a few red and blues lol.

H. Formosa? That is mosquito fish or is it least killifish? I didn't think either had any reds? Thought you posted a pic of it earlier, I'm going to look
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #73
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
So your shrimp never really took off huh? Well when is your friend sending them to ya? Hopefully soon I'll be getting everything set up for my 29 gallon, that's when I'll be doing some culling I could send ya a few males even females, not culls, the higher grade ones, culls are going in the 55 gallon want to see how they do with my fish. Maybe we can work a deal out or something, still have some colored ramshorns? Would love to get my hands on a few red and blues lol.

H. Formosa? That is mosquito fish or is it least killifish? I didn't think either had any reds? Thought you posted a pic of it earlier, I'm going to look
Yeah I thought they were mostly grey too! Yeah H. Formosa is also named Least Killifish, mosquito fish and a few others. But it seems all mine have that orange, so ill try to get a good shot of it.

Unfortunately no, they never quite took off. I really am sad about that. I can't exactly figure out why, but I have since torn down their tank, rebuilt it, and I'm planning on putting SS+ CRS in it.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #74
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's strange that your's didn't take off considering we had fairly similar set ups as far as stock you got yours from Msjinkzd didn't ya? Also you were way more meticulous about your parameters and what you were putting in there. Me, I just dumped plants/snails from local ponds in there O.o Perhaps it was the volume of water that made a difference?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #75
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
It's strange that your's didn't take off considering we had fairly similar set ups as far as stock you got yours from Msjinkzd didn't ya? Also you were way more meticulous about your parameters and what you were putting in there. Me, I just dumped plants/snails from local ponds in there O.o Perhaps it was the volume of water that made a difference?
I doubt it was water volume, as they had plenty of space. I couldn't quite say what it was. I know I made some mistakes for sure. No I regrettably got them from a guy marketing them as amazing pure fire red cherries on AB they were very red, and I had a few amazing females, but not much.

I think being so careful and nitpicky was what screwed me over. I'm careful still, but I'm educated careful. I put in a varied diet, I give them what they need and I know they can handle a beating.

Also--- when my little guys bred, which they did.. I realized all the babies got sucked down into the filter intake slit and never made it back out. I'm sure it happened with adults too, as I had a nightmare when all of them disappeared with no bodies to show for them.

I popped out the back filter, and sure enough all of them flopped out all over the desk. They all got saved though. Tough buggers.

Tags
cpo, low tech tank set up, nano, planted, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.