Hey guys check out my new project! 4x nano tank! UPDATE, NOW A 5X nano with saltwater - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #61
mr2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

anyone else have any sump experience? I'd really like someone to weigh in on this before I break out the drill and start making holes!
mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #62
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Oh man just saw that crab. It is SO COOL!.

Heres to all the things you can do with a spec.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #63
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

There are some threads here using pvc to make an overflow. You could probably place that into the filter section of the spec without the need to drill.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #64
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnphil View Post
How big is that salt tank?
This is a Condy?(min 30g)
As long you realize that anemone barely fit in a 10g add one fish and your maintenance will be an everyday business....
GL
Yes I am aware but for 6.49 from petco I can afford to see if it works out and i realize it probably will not. It will be a 5 gallon as well with half of that volume being a refugium. No fish planned, I have 2 hermits and an anemone crab already and don't want to overstock.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #65
mr2
Planted Member

Update, did a lot today. I added some red kelp from a buddy's tank so officially a marine planted tank! I also decided to go with an overflow As per vvDO's suggestion, and got it done and dry fitted. My 26w finned bulb finally blew out when It fell in tank 4, oops! At least nobody got electrocuted for reasons I don't understand. Bought the best thing I could find on short notice, a petco screw in reef bulb, but it looks way dimmer plus want a less awkward solution... o now I'm thinking of some Small led fixture or possibly just swapping out the 6500k bulb in the 48" fixture for an actinic and leaving the 10k bulb in there wiithout any other lighting above the spec. Would the planted tanks look bad you think under half actinic?

This tank has really found it's balance and the Christmas moss is growing like a weed now, I like this stuff when it's healthy and not a bga magnet!
Tank 5 had been on the back burner. Up until recently it was uninhabited wi just plants in a dirt tank. I had been doing quick 10%wc here and there. The other day I pulled a cup of water and it happened to be a white cup and I noticed the water was brown tinted ver badly. Soil is still leaching, so I did a 50% wc and you can see the tank now! So far, I'm not a dirt tank fan. Too messy.anyway, I got a baby betta for this tank, and snapped a quick pic. He is tiny, not much bigger than a thumbnail and hard to get on camera. He is a jumper, I found him in tank 4 the other day! I made a plexiglass lid for him.
the spec currently
The overflow I made.

Last edited by mr2; 12-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: ,
Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #66
mr2
Planted Member

This morning my buddy Jerry came and picked up the white skirt tetras from the clown puke tank. They will be residing in his 75g bowfront discus tank. They seemed relieved to get out of that little tank! Set up the refugium tonight. Got 3 different macro algaes and a pound of live rock and a pound of live sand. My overflow was already breaking syphon! Murphys law has been killing me lol. I think I fixed the problem which was a leak in the check valve on top of the overflow... After I had just got done re doing it because of a faulty check valve the first time around. So now 3rd attempt, I checked the check valve this time and siliconed the [censored][censored][censored][censored] out of it so hopefully tomorrow it will be good to go, and I can start scaping my new marine planted tank refugium! Pics to come, tanks are too cloudy from the sand right now for it to even be worth showing them.

Last edited by mr2; 12-21-2012 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: .
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #67
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ok quick thing on the betta he is not a he but a she. stripes tend to be a give away and they tend to be smaller than males and wont get as big a tail. but on the up side most of the time you can have more than one female in the tank and they are pretty too
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #68
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
ok quick thing on the betta he is not a he but a she. stripes tend to be a give away and they tend to be smaller than males and wont get as big a tail. but on the up side most of the time you can have more than one female in the tank and they are pretty too
Ah i see. I've kept females in the past and I suspected this one was a female too, but wasn't sure because I have no experience with babies and thought maybe the fins would grow differently as it aged.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Love the tanks man. Makes me miss my 2.5. That salty tank is good looking. Honestly though, you can probably remove some of the sand. It looks a little deep in there. As for an overflow on it, just be careful. Not sure if you can drill that small tank, but it might be worth looking into.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #70
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Love the tanks man. Makes me miss my 2.5. That salty tank is good looking. Honestly though, you can probably remove some of the sand. It looks a little deep in there. As for an overflow on it, just be careful. Not sure if you can drill that small tank, but it might be worth looking into.
Thanks! Yeah I did add too much sand accidentally and just decided to roll with it, but I've been thinking of pulling a bunch out.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #71
mr2
Planted Member

Overflow and pump are in and working! Still need to clean everything up and scape the fugue tank but at least it is running and not flooding. More pics to come.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #72
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Well looks like you have it all figured out. Aesthetically, it isn't pleasing. But many times we have to make sacrifices.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #73
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

You're tempting me to do a saltwater pico tank!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #74
brinks
Algae Grower

In the space of one tank you have four, nice. Will like to hear how the canister works out. I would think you would need a siphon between each tank to keep the levels constant.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #75
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I did add too much sand accidentally and just decided to roll with it, but I've been thinking of pulling a bunch out.
If you decide to pull it out, just toss it in the fuge. Then you still have it being used in the tank but not in the tank. Know what I mean? Lol.

Can I ask for a better shot of the overflow setup you have on there? And maybe some insight on how it works? I am sort of confused at the moment. (Blame it on lack of coffee.)
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.