First pics of my tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
seastar0328
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328

First pics of my tank

Started in April....battled algae, battled leggy plants....now I think I've got it thanks to this site and you guys! Let me know what you think, I am looking for a good foreground cover. What do you think? What would you suggest? Thank you all for all your help! I'm finally proud enough to share these pics.

from the right:

from the left:

another front shot:
seastar0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

I'm SURE people will speak up and say "HC, glosso, Elantine trianda, Marsilea, HM, dwarf hairgrass etc..." but I'll give you a different suggestion which is a bit "weird" right off the bat:

Why not try Hygrophila difformis? Now I know what you're saying, it gets big! Well, stay with me on this one... I recently saw 3 or 4 tanks setup with a wisteria foreground. The owner has pretty high light and just keeps them clipped down. When they start growing too tall he just pinches and replants. Any leaves that fall off can be replanted to make new plantlets too. I don't know about you, but I can't seem to keep my hands out of my tanks. If you're in there a lot you should consider this as a foreground! I was so surprised with how neat this plant looks in the foreground, and I bet it would provide a really great color and texture contrast with your Anubias centerpiece!
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
seastar0328
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328

I was thinking about using the sunset hygro as a foreground. I was looking at the aga contest pics and they flamed an entry for using it because it got so big but the plantlets pop of so easily and they seem to grow roots out of the stalk I thought this would be a prettier way to use this plant and keep the pink tones going. I knew what the entry was doing because I thought of it myself. I've even seen people use ludwiga repens as a foreground. You're right, I cannot stay out of my tanks either. This one is so tall. A hex was not a good idea. I was thinking of my angels and not of planting ease. I like your idea though and I will probably try it out. If it doesn't work, I have other tanks that would benefit from mistakes. I never bought plants for my other tanks, they are all my collectoritis plants or plants that didn't do well in my tank or that I didn't like. Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

I bet sunset hygro would look great too! It's always fun to be a little different and try out stuff like that. I'd say whatever hygro you use it'll look awesome! And there's nothing that says you can't replace it with a more traditional foreground if it becomes out of hand or you decide you don't like it. My tanks change week to week it seems
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

I've seen this tank personally, and I like it quite a bit.

I also would like to believe that I had a small part in creating it

You said that you have access to M. quadrifolia, so why not just use a huge patch of "sod" and plant the whole thing?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
seastar0328
Planted Member

yes, mrbelvedere had a HUGE part in helping create it. Without him I'd still be bumbling around trying to create a tank I could be proud of. Sorry I forgot you in the credits!

This guy knows his stuff and I would definitely reccommend his advice to anyone! He actually came over to my apartment on a few occasions, accompanied me to the lfs for supplies, and takes my phone calls with questions. He also brought me plants from his own tanks to help me out. A definite asset to the planted tank!

"Thank you" just doesn't cover it enough!