The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mike's New 100 Gallon Journal

10K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  Guttboy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Ok got my tank up and running and wanted to share my progress with everyone. So far running 100 gallon tank with Filstar XP3. Substrate is 1.5" of Flourite and 1.5" of Fine Gravel. Looks pretty deep when I look at other setups but we shall see. Will post some pics here once I figure out how to do that!

Going to try the Silent Cycle with this one and see how it works!

PS rinsing gravel and flourite absolutely stinks!

Regards!

#3 ·
2la,

I will post some pics once I figure out how to do so...LOL.....so far pretty darn boring.LOL

Mike

#4 ·
Most of the tanks you see in pics have the substrate sloped from front to rear, gives a better display. My tank for instance, has 2.5" in front to 5 " in the rear.

Marcel

#5 ·
Ok trying to repost again.....

#6 ·
You got it. You have a frameless tank which is why it looks more full, the frame doesn't hide it. Whats up with the foam under the tank, won't that compress and throw the tank out of level?

Marcel

#7 ·
Marcel,

The styrofoam is an absolute NECESSITY! Ill let you know why.

Once upon a time I made a 75 Gallon reef system. I had a stand for it and was pretty sure it was a good one...LFS purchase. Unbeknownst to me I did discover a tiny little problem. Setup went well, Saltwater is heavy, Live rock is heavy, tank running fine......late at night "CRAAAACCCKKKLLLEEE>...CRACKLLLLLLLEEEEELLLLLLCrackLLLER"
Well there was a piece of sand that I did not clean off the top and with all the weight some how it went kapoof.

Second story,

Had another tank same situation...75 gallon....turned out the surface of the stand was not quite level...had a bit of a curve to it although didnt see this right off....caused tank to fracture...RATS.

So by placing the layer of styrofoam on the stand this will cause the little imperfections to be "absorbed" by the styrofoam. Also reduces heat loss through the bottom a bit as well.

I know its not the most "pretty" thing but I will eventually manufacture another mahogany piece that will go around to hide the foam.

I highly recommend putting down a "soft" layer. It does not cause the tank to go out of level if the stand is level in the first place.

Hope that helps! :D

#8 ·
21 July 2003 update!!!!

Tank: Home built 20"x20"x60"

Stand: Mahogany Home built

Substrate: 75 lbs of flourite and 150 lbs of Fine Gravel layered at 1.5" for Flourite and 1.5 inches for Gravel.

Filtration: Filstar XP3

Lighting: ON ORDER Using my Icecap 660 and will run GE Aqua Rays 40 watt 48" x 4. Should get 3.2 WPG see article-----> www.icecapinc.com/rev1.htm

CO2 system: ON ORDER from www.aquatic-store.com Combo 4...contains pH meter/doser, reactor, guages etc

Plants: Algae Buster 20ct from aquabotanic.com

Ok so...the plan is coming together!!!! I have the tank running now with the filter can get out some of the dust out from the substrate. By the way...rinsing substrate especially Flourite is a pain in the neck. I could by no means get all the dust out but got the majority of it. I am running the Filstar XP3 with the enclosed carbon media in it to help clear the water. SO far it is clearing up pretty nicely...wasnt bad before but getting much clearer. I also put some dechlorinator in there to ensure that there would be no chlorine and chloramine in the H2O.

So far thats it!!!!

Thanks to all the help and especially to Marcel who cleared up 1000?'s with one 5 min conversation!!!!

:D

#9 ·
I'm glad I could be of service. :wink: I just never saw anyone do that with foam before. My 75 gets supported around the edges by the frame. It all makes sense to me now. You are gonna have one nice setup right from the start. You're learning quick,which is awesome, then you'll have all those fertilizer questions>>>> Cross that bridge when you get there.

Marcel

#10 ·
Thanks Marcel!

Still running the bare bones water only now. Still cant get that last bit o dust out of the tank. Is there something I can put in the Filstar to get rid of it? I am running the activated charcol pac that came with it. That I will remove when I start adding plants etc.

This morning before flying is the quest for a CO2 tank!

Regards :D

#11 ·
Don't worry too much about the dust for now, you'll be kicking more up when you plant. Just let it run.

Marcel

#12 ·
Ok still running....questions....picked up a cool Co2 tank on the cheap at of all places a harbor supply store here in Abq. They were not sure of the capacity though. it is hydrostaticed in 7/02. Unsure on its capacity..just curious cuz the welders will all fill it...one said he'd do it for free the first time when I called....had a 20 min coversation with the guy very nice...

Tank portion is 15" tall and about 5" in diameter...aluminum. i know its not a 20 lb......much less ...thinking about a 5lb...will fill it this weekend.

#14 ·
Just a side note here.. might be way off base though. Anyone think he might run into some problems with that window right there? Might have to keep the blinds closed.. looks like some mean sunlight hitting the tank. Just a thought.

Mike, tank looks like it is gonna be quite nice. Looks like your doing everything right from the get go (not like me.. ooh.. undergravel filters aren't good? I'll take mine out when my tank is full of plants and fish.. no probs). Can't wait to see it with plants, wood and maybe some fish. hehe.

#15 ·
Good observation Vin...

It can cause algae problems on that side of the tank and them blinds will help but I got bit with the "blinds" theory once. It all depends on the direction and duration of the sunlight.
I have a tank that sees only about 1 hour or so of sunlight and that is the only side that I get very fine algae, and that window is 10 feet away.

Its easy enough a problem to solve, just need to diffuse the light is all.

#16 ·
Thanks guys...the window is on an eastern exposure and gets no direct sunlight into the room (trees and neighbor out there)...so it should not affect it too much....blind stays shut 99% of the time. Thanks for the observation though!

Mike

#17 ·
Ok new update....

Purchased a CO2 tank here locally from a freight company of all places. Unsure on the size but I think 5lbs. No worries though because there are many places that fill CO2 here.

CO2 regulator stuff is on hold though :( . Shipment was misshipped to the place I got it and will be shipped to me later this week. Thats ok all there is is water and substrate for now...LOL.

Attached is a pic of the tank. Hopefully this will work again getting the hang of putting photos on here!

Mike :D

#18 ·
Well everyone...bad news on this end :(

The icecap660 that was in storage and I was planning on using....FRIED a couple of hours ago....Plugged the puppy in and electrical smoke was coming from the quick disconnect!

Its kaput.....

No fear though.....I have another one on the way!!!! Hard to justify to the wife but she is really understanding. The good thing is that my plants wont get shipped til tuesday and the ballast should be here on monday!

Wish me luck!

Mike

#19 ·
UPDATE!

Ok went to Lowe's today after emergency ordering a 660 ballast last night. In all my frustration I was attempting to trouble shoot the electronic ballast...

Results: My ballast will run 3 lamps but not 4 for some reason.
Did a continuity test and all is well with connections. ICECAP INC was very helpful in troubleshooting.

Results 2: One of the GE aquarays I got from Dr Fosters and Smith was BUSTED...the little pin that connects the lamp to the endcap was loose! Great job on DR F and S...they are shipping me a new one at no cost!!! Kudos to that company!

Bottom line....if the plants get here ...or I get a few from LFS..LOL...Ill run the three lamp setup until new ballast arrives.

Will post some pics of the canopy I didnt get in before.

#20 ·
Crappy pic but showing you the canopy. Ill learn soon how to make better ones!

:D

#21 ·
Ok got the new Icecap 660 in. It is powering 3 GE Aqua Rays 48" long. It is also powering a 48" Grow Lux Aquarium bulb. All are 40 watts. Awaiting shipment of another GE Aqua Ray due to the fact one was damaged in shipping.

I also have 5 pieces of Malaysian driftwood in the tank that I boiled this weekend.

This is not the way the tank will be aquascaped but just wanted to show you that the lights were finally up!!!!

#24 ·
BOOOO HISSSSS....

My plan of planting this weekend has been ruined :x :(

Aquabotanic cant ship until Wednesday of next week :(

Which means my weekend of fish input as well has been put on hold until next weekend...RATS!

Oh well.....nothing I can do about it.

Mike

will keep you all updated

#25 ·
OK UPDATE 2 AUG 03!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went over to Roger Miller's house today and saw his awesome tanks. He took alot of time describing things to me and giving me some pointers about the tanks. He has some very nice ones! The pride was a 150 Gallon one that I could have looked at for ages!!!!

Ok so here goes....Roger was kind enough to get me started with a few of his trimmings and thinning out of the aquarium....man these plants are neat! So I added them to the tank and am starting the "silent Cycle"...

I have added 8 White cloud Mountain Minnows, 5 Ottos, and over 40 glass shrimp. One of the glass shrimp is laden with eggs and hopefully will start laying soon!

Here are the pictures!!!

:mrgreen:

#26 ·
more of the tank! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.