NYC Inverts Event @ Wed Oct 3 [Pics added] - Page 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #286
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

ah, so i am not the only one still up.

I always enjoy our gatherings and seeing everyone together. The presentation was pretty interesting but the big laughs came during the auction. How many times did those fish earrings get re-auctioned... LOL I think all of us made bids on random things. The stuff on auction was all over the map but there were definitely deals to be had.

Special Thanks to chibikaie and furnfins for carpooling to the event. You all make this hobby more enjoyable and worthwhile.

Nite all
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #287
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'll sleep when I'm dead!

The auction was eye opening and hilarious. I think there was only a few real good deals there. I was surprised to see the Val's and Sword plants go for the money that they went for, even though they were great looking plants. $32 for 8 CRS and $10 for 10 RCS didn't seem like spectacular deals to me either.

It was also funny when no one bid on the Cherries for $10, dropped it to $5, and then they went for $10 anyway.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #288
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

i bid $5 because i wanted 50 cent cherries

and what about the buckets of ramshorns....there must have been hundreds
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #289
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Yeah, some of the prices people payed for the anubias and swords was crazy. Though I think the CRS was a gamble since you couldn't tell what grade they were.

Edit: I should have bidded on the ramshorns! But I would have had no place to put them...
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Last edited by Monster Fish; 10-04-2012 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: added something
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #290
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
I'll sleep when I'm dead!

The auction was eye opening and hilarious. I think there was only a few real good deals there. I was surprised to see the Val's and Sword plants go for the money that they went for, even though they were great looking plants. $32 for 8 CRS and $10 for 10 RCS didn't seem like spectacular deals to me either.

It was also funny when no one bid on the Cherries for $10, dropped it to $5, and then they went for $10 anyway.

the money paid goes to the person who brought in the item to be auctioned?
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #291
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i bid $5 because i wanted 50 cent cherries

and what about the buckets of ramshorns....there must have been hundreds

I would have gladly taken them for under $10 just to add some diversity to my current Cherry tank.

That bucket o`snails and the as you so well put it the "bag of ammonia" some of those things looked like they were in were a little ridiculous.

Thanks again for the MTS btw, they're already buried in my sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
the money paid goes to the person who brought in the item to be auctioned?
I think the items were donated to the club itself, and then the club auctions them off and uses the money to keep themselves going.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #292
bettasusa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow guys thanks! Had a great time! I one some snails at the auction for 11 I think and I believe I beat Albert to a java Moss?? lol. I know most of the time snails come free but these parts I've had a hard time finding them and Albert, thanks for the Plants, Food, and Scuds!! I also got a plants(s) from Kitty.

I was somewhat interested in the Bettas that where up for auction but not nearly interested as currently that color strain isn't what I'm going for and it was very hard to see the spread from their finnage. If they had been placed in containers that one female betta if truly HM and had nice dorsal I would have definitely taken her into the mid to high 50s easy.

I'm going to offer 1 MUSTARD GAS to the young lady who (please forgive me for not remembering your name), who asked me about them at the event. Get back to me and we can arrange maybe at the next event I believe Albert was talking about.

OK, I'm ranting and hope I didn't leave anything out. O, does anyone know if Bonnie made it? I was supposed to receive a plant from her and I hope she isnt upset because she might have had to haul it back home? Hopefully she handed it off to someone else who may have shown some interest in it. Ok, Thanks again! Lui
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #293
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Man, Ill have to check out an auction some day then, maybe the BAS one. Those ramshorns were cooooool. The CRS looked to be pretty low grade? Very splotchy white from the table but can't be too sure.
Had to get home and get those fish all acclimated in, they seem to be okay- not sure. Then finally, eat DINNER! Phew.

edit: bettasusa, I asked for the mustard gas. I also have a sorority in my 72g so I am tempted by your girls too. That colour was so nice in person! Ill probably be there at the next meet, if its sunday same time! Bonnie was only a few seats away from you I believe!!! It was difficult without nametags.

Last edited by VivaDaWolf; 10-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: bets
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #294
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I'll be sure to bring those shipping labels for the next meetup.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #295
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Luis, it was very nice to meet you finally. Thanks for coming out. Your bettas are stunning! They are both sitting on top of some moss and resting after having some pellets

Seems like everyone had fun. I told PTR that i was going to buy the kribs auction for him, but he then offered to bring those kribs to join the one in my tank. LOL

I wanted to ask if anyone wanted any duckweed for their goldfish? ive been tossing but figured maybe someone could use this stuff.

ok its bed time. nite all
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #296
Heartnet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

It was nice meeting you all at the meet!

I also want to take the time to thank acitydweller, aokashi, jellie, ptr, and vivadawolf for some awesome stuff.

Aokashi and Bluek24a4's gave a good nutshell of Rachel's talk.

The auction itself was really fun though! Like some people mentioned, some stuff seemed to be over priced; but compared to some other deals, there were plenty of steals!

Some memorable stuff auctioned:
  • Three Koi angelfish for $15
  • Ten Pseudomugil gertrudae blue eye for $6!!!
  • 2 auctions for ten to fifteen white clouds that went for $6-10
  • Three different auctions for 6-10 different cories, yoyo loach, and kuhlis for $10 - $12?
  • Tons of auctions for cool platies, guppies and other livebearers for $6-$15
  • Apple snails, nerite snails, loads of ramshorns going for $5/$6.

And I believe Bluek24a4 covered the pricier auctions. There was also an amazon sword that went for $24, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of the fish I won at the auction: 1 humongous emerald cory, 1 sterbai cory, 3 yoyo loaches (one didn't make it though ) , 1 upside down catfish and 4 black kuhlis. All for $10!

Some pictures:

Kribs from viva

Loads of Kuhlis from ptr (I don't know what you did with them ptr, but these guys were some of the fattest kuhlis I've ever seen)

This guy was huuuuge for a cory.
Heartnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #297
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There was some cool fish bag auctions. Glad to see you got one of them Heartnet. Kuhli's are so cool IMO.

Those three Koi Anglefish were BEAUTIFUL and that price was a joke for how nice they were. I wish I would have had room for them.

I believe you're right about that Sword plant. I have one just like it that I didn't think I could give away if I tried, when it went for $24 I had to scratch my head.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #298
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

And i paid so much for rachels fish in cmparison :p ahh oh well.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #299
Heartnet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
There was some cool fish bag auctions. Glad to see you got one of them Heartnet. Kuhli's are so cool IMO.

Those three Koi Anglefish were BEAUTIFUL and that price was a joke for how nice they were. I wish I would have had room for them.

I believe you're right about that Sword plant. I have one just like it that I didn't think I could give away if I tried, when it went for $24 I had to scratch my head.
Lmao. Trust me, you weren't the only one who had a HUH?! moment.

And yes, kuhlis are awesome even though it gives Rachel the vibes. I hope they might breed with ptr's additional numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
And i paid so much for rachels fish in cmparison :p ahh oh well.
True, for the most part they're high quality fish.

Still, I forget whether it was you or szenic who got the pygmies, but boy were they tiny.
Heartnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #300
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349335649.641014.jpg
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote