HANdS 29G High Tech Community - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #31
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

So, I basically ignored my tank apart from dosing & feeding over the past week, and I unfortunately never got a chance to re-plant the Ludwigia stems, which are in pretty poor shape after being in my 1G bowl (see that thread for details).

Anyway, my plants have EXPLODED in this tank. The Nymphaea Pubescens have probably tripled in size. They both now have leaves all the way at the surface! My Anubias has sprouted about 30 more roots and a new leaf, and I see it pearling all the time.

Here are some cool shots from the recent plant growth.

Alternanthera Reineckii

Spreading out along the top:

Amazing reach for Nymphaea pubescens:

Stem city & a ghost shrimp cameo:

My Oto living the life:

I'll try and update a new FTS later this week.

Last edited by l8nite; 10-14-2012 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Nymphaea pubescens
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sigh, Fuego (my Dwarf Flame Gourami) was in the tank dead today. He has been acting very lethargic the past 2 days, and so I knew something was bothering him. I checked all my water parameters several times over the past 3 days and they all look fine, so I have no idea what happened. When I first noticed his behavior change, I immediately tested water and lowered my CO2 levels, but I guess there wasn't anything else to be done for him.

Sigh.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #33
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did a large trimming yesterday, cut all of the tiger lily stems that were hitting the surface, and I pruned back whatever the long green bulb leaves (Aponogetons?) were since they had completely grown over the tank surface (longest bunch were ~4 feet!). I think my fish appreciate the extra room when feeding.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #34
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Did a large trimming yesterday, cut all of the tiger lily stems that were hitting the surface, and I pruned back whatever the long green bulb leaves (Aponogetons?) were since they had completely grown over the tank surface (longest bunch were ~4 feet!). I think my fish appreciate the extra room when feeding.
So only ~10 days later, and these things are all over the surface again! I'm starting to see some shortish algae growing on the bigger leaves and some BBA creeping along the edges of my Anubias now. I'll probably do another trim this weekend.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm 5 weeks into daily EI dosing and that tiger lotus is still taking over my tank weekly. I cut it back really aggressively today. My molly had her fry about a week ago - I've fished 9 out and into the containment unit today, though I think there might be a couple more hiding out in the back of the tank.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snails in here have been out of control lately - there are probably a good 100 or more in there. I'm going to underfeed for a few weeks and see if the population settles down, otherwise I might be spending a weekend plucking snails out.

My ramshorns are all doing awesome, and I found a new kind of snail in there today. It might be a normal pond snail, but it was too far in the back for me to get a clear picture of it.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #36
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8 weeks now and the plants are growing so well. The snails have started to slow down since I've been pretty good about light feedings.

Here's a full tank shot and some pictures of my plants:

Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #37
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The end is near for this tank. I bought a 110G beastly thing on craigslist and am in the process of getting it cleaned up and ready for use. Tank journal thread is here.

At the moment this tank looks like it was assimilated by the borg, because I have three canister filters hooked up to it (!):

Last edited by l8nite; 12-18-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Fix URL
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #38
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Breaking this tank down today. Only things left are a small tiger lotus plant and one of the long Aponogetonaceae or Val or something totally intertwined with another tiger lotus.

Plus about a million malaysian trumpet snails...

I'm RAOK'ing both of them if you're local to Fremont. This will probably be my last post in the journal thread. The tank looks so sad all empty, but my 110G looks awesome.

110G journal thread here