HANdS 29G High Tech Community - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Came home from a trip out of town for the night and found one of the otocinclus floating dead at the water. I tested water parameters, they hadn't changed much (Nitrites still hanging out at ~4ppm) - did a 50% water change like usual until this Nitrite spike goes away, I guess he just couldn't handle the transition. The other guy is doing well.

Update; 18 hours later and no further casualties or abnormal behavor, so I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Last edited by l8nite; 09-24-2012 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Update
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #17
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

daily 50% water changes are the bane of my existence, but it's helping the tank finish up this cycle.

It's my own fault for being so impatient. I'm cycling two other tanks (the Spec and the 10G) with livestock in them too, so there's a lot of water moving around in this house. My python water changer can't reach the bedroom where the 10G tank is, so I'm dragging buckets for that one

I had a lot of fun posting a RAOK which got like 500+ views today (and 80 or so contestants). I have another one up to celebrate passing the 100-post mark!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nitrites are zero today! Yay!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I named my dalmation mollies Pongo and Perdita, because I just found out they are a male/female pair. =)
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #20
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added 5 Malaysian trumpet snails today.

I've been working on a DIY reactor for my CO2 system the past couple of evenings. I am doing a modified rex grigg's design using a .5 micron diffusion stone inserted into a T with 1" piping instead of 2".

I'm not sure if it will work out yet, but I should be able to prototype it a little in the next few days and see what happens
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got home from a late night at work today and all my fish were near the top, nitrites had a huge spike again. Did a huge water change (maybe 70%) and everyone looks back to normal. I'm hoping things stabilize soon, because my wife is starting to resent how much time I'm spending taking care of the tanks.

In happier news, I got my filled CO2 tank yesterday, and I built a prototype of my CO2 reactor. I haven't yet devised a good way to know if it's "really" working how I intend, but I did manage to get a jury-rigged bubble-counter going at ~5 bubbles per second through the reactor with little to no bubbles escaping the tubing....

The only flaw in my reactor design is that's PVC, so I really have no way of monitoring what's happening inside of it. I guess I just have to trust that everything is behaving as planned.

Also, it's a real PITA to stretch 3/16" tubing over a 1/4" barb, but I managed to get it over a couple of ridges with my heat gun and some needle-nose pliers. I could just build a proper coupler, but that feels like cheating :P
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Got home from a late night at work today and all my fish were near the top, nitrites had a huge spike again. Did a huge water change (maybe 70%) and everyone looks back to normal. I'm hoping things stabilize soon, because my wife is starting to resent how much time I'm spending taking care of the tanks.
Gomer joined the giant fish tank in the sky today. I think that nitrite spike didn't treat him very well. Yesterday, he was sort of looking weak and not eating, hanging more vertical than horizontal. I did another water change and tried feeding him, but he just didn't seem bothered. Found him today dead and stuck behind the intake pipe

I'll probably get another Gourami to replace him... let's hope he has better luck
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #23
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I'm pretty sure Perdita is pregnant. I guess that means I'll have Dalmation Molly babies in my future, haha. Pongo is flaring up at anyone who gets near her and he turned a really awesome silver color with gold flecks on his head. He watches over her and cleans her when she poops too. It's fairly touching.

The expectant couple:

My water parameters looked fine today, and I have a nice huge buildup of diatoms in the tank now. I need some more Nerites.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #24
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've been working on a DIY reactor for my CO2 system the past couple of evenings. I am doing a modified rex grigg's design using a .5 micron diffusion stone inserted into a T with 1" piping instead of 2".

I'm not sure if it will work out yet, but I should be able to prototype it a little in the next few days and see what happens
I'm documenting this build in another thread, if you're curious about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #25
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My male molly is harassing the pregnant female a TON now that the water parameters have stabilized. She looks stressed, but there are lots of hiding places in the tank. From what I understand, adding a second female molly might help. I'm probably just going to let nature run its course with the babies, because my fry containment tank is already full of guppies.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, I hooked up the CO2 and started my EI dosing today!

My DIY reactor just wasn't working out the way I wanted it to, so I scrapped the entire idea and simply pushed the diffusion stone into the intake of my Eheim 2217.

For dosing, I measured out 4 weeks worth of material into one of those daily medicine reminder things. Except, they don't really seal very well, so when I go to dump the days dose into the tank, a very small amount of the fertilizer from the other days drops out.

I bought this pill reminder instead which has individually removable compartments for each day. Should be a little easier to dose with anyway.

Also, I bought a set of small teaspoons (1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64) - they are tiny!!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #27
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My drop checker hasn't registered much of a CO2 change yet, but it did get a little darker. I bumped the bubble rate up to 2 bps or so, hoping that makes the difference.

My tank parameters have been nice and stable the past few days, so I'm glad for that.

I couldn't resist introducing a new Dwarf Gourami, so here is Fuego's debut (He's a Flame Dwarf Gourami, really lovely red/orange color with a blue dorsal fin).

Also, one of my Nerites (Burnout) finally made an appearance - hadn't seen him in about 10 days...

Still haven't seen Turbo in about a week now.

Last edited by l8nite; 10-03-2012 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Update Fuego's description
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #28
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pulled out a dead ghost shrimp today. Not sure what happened, but everyone else is looking healthy still.

I pulled out all the egeria densa (anacharis) from this tank because it was looking pathetic and melted. I clipped about half of it, cleaned it off thoroughly, stripped as much dead material from the stems as I could, and then I planted most of the remainder in my 10G tank. The other stems I didn't plant got thrown into my goldfish bowl.

Man, that was some messy plant. It's still shedding rotting leaves everywhere.

I also moved the two Nymphoides Aquatica (banana) plants into the goldfish bowl for now, as I'm not sure I want to keep them. If they survive in there, then I think that's where they'll stay for now.

Finally, I'm battling hair algae right now. I think I'm winning, but only time will tell. I've pulled out some really long strands of it lately.

Last edited by l8nite; 10-04-2012 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: Algae
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought this pill reminder instead which has individually removable compartments for each day. Should be a little easier to dose with anyway.
Even better, someone posted this storage organizer with individually capped bottles in another thread.

I filled them with ferts today, and I think it's going to be great.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I received some Alternanthera Reineckii from a RAOK, so I planted it in the 29G tonight. No pictures, but I'm hoping it does well in there.

My Ludwigia Grandulosa is just withering away and dying from about 4" down the stalk to the ground. From what I understand, this is fairly common, especially if they're close together (mine were all bunched up). I cut all of the stems to just the healthy-looking top portions, and I plan to re-plant them with root tabs further apart.

For the moment though, I was out of time so they went into my 1G bowl... assuming they survive until Sunday, I should be able to get around to planting them then.