Plan on making a rain system
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
owenprescott
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plan on making a rain system

Tomorrow I will be ordering my custom tank. I plan on creating a tropical planted tank which will be around 3ft wide x 1ft depth x 1.5ft height. I want to make something unique and experimental too so why not create a rain system? I wont have the tank completely full. :P

I would just like some help planning this out. I will need to circulate the water so it flows out of the tank and into a diffuser at the top which will sprinkle that water back into the tank as the image illustrates. I will improvise or make my own rain style diffuser. Here is a simple sketch of the idea.

Question is what kind of equipment would be best suited to create this kind of circulation? I will also be adding an external filter and CO2 to the tank, I plan on combining the two with an "UP CO2 Inline Diffuser 16mm" which will cut down on glass around the tank. I hope I am not making this sound more complicated then it is. I am aware of the mist systems available for Terrariums, I just want rain drops on the surface of the water and preferably using the water from inside the tank.
owenprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Watch out for splashing. You'll have as much water out of the tank as in the tank. It's best to have the rain head below the tank.

THe real trick to this is to have the head not block your lights.

A small pump should work or some how tap into your filter. There's a free pump there.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Sure looks like a canister with a spray bar, to me. Just aim the spray bar higher than the water, and maybe drill more holes, but rather small ones.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
owenprescott
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Watch out for splashing. You'll have as much water out of the tank as in the tank. It's best to have the rain head below the tank.

THe real trick to this is to have the head not block your lights.

A small pump should work or some how tap into your filter. There's a free pump there.
Yeah at the moment I am considering raising the height a few inches, I have thought about the light and I am thinking about simply using a rain shower head lol. The one I am looking at could easily be attached to the back by a suction cup and faced forward to disperse from front to back and underneath the light (Cant post a link to it as its on Ebay). I would have to make sure it does not have copper etc of course.

It would be a better idea to use an external filter and flow that water to the rain system saving on a pump come to think of it, I assume the shower head or a DIY diffuser wont disrupt the filter media doing its job. Any recommendations of good external filters for 90 - 120 litre tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Sure looks like a canister with a spray bar, to me. Just aim the spray bar higher than the water, and maybe drill more holes, but rather small ones.
This illustration does not show it but I would like to cover the depth to, I was looking a spray bars but ideally I want to create the effect on as much of the surface area as possible. I might have some plant growth outside of the tank which I forgot to mention.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

To cover more surface with a spray bar drill more holes front and back, and center it. The holes could spray pretty much horizontally, if they do not spray too hard, or you could aim them upwards a bit (Covered tank, of course!).
You want to have enough holes so they water is not coming out too strong, but strong enough to scatter over most of the tank.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Here's a video of a rain/mist/fog system that i had in my 90G riparium about a year ago when it was set up (rain starts at 0:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZpGXAsAzM

Also, here is a short description with some pics as to how i built the DIY rain system: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...postcount=1137

It wasn't perfect, but it worked well for what i was trying accomplish.

Last edited by Centromochlus; 09-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: More info
Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
owenprescott
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies, drilling holes into a spray bar seems like a good way to go. I could probably direct the water into two multiple spray bars too. I am also wondering if I could wrap some fabric around the bar to diffuse the water a bit more randomly. I will probably buy one of the rain shower head too just to see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Here's a video of a rain/mist/fog system that i had in my 90G riparium about a year ago when it was set up (rain starts at 0:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZpGXAsAzM

Also, here is a short description with some pics as to how i built the DIY rain system: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...postcount=1137

It wasn't perfect, but it worked well for what i was trying accomplish.
I was watching this on Youtube earlier, do you think adding fabric to the end of the nozzles would change the direction of the flow? You should try it.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenprescott View Post
Thanks for the replies, drilling holes into a spray bar seems like a good way to go. I could probably direct the water into two multiple spray bars too. I am also wondering if I could wrap some fabric around the bar to diffuse the water a bit more randomly. I will probably buy one of the rain shower head too just to see if it works.

I was watching this on Youtube earlier, do you think adding fabric to the end of the nozzles would change the direction of the flow? You should try it.
I wouldn't recommend using a spray bar. Even if the pump attached to it had a low GPH rating, you would likely still get a stream of water instead of drops. Same with the shower head. I used the irrigation drip nozzles because they are actually built to drip.

I took that tank down several months ago. I like your fabric idea. If it was still up and running, i would definitely try it!

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would probably split your canister outflow, one to a main flow back into the tank and then 1 to your rain system so you can use adjuster valves and get the rain effect to a trickle without impeding the flow too much by having almost full power going back to the outflow in the tank, whether nozzle or spraybar or whatever.

Throw a solenoid on it with a timer and can rain. Program a Arduino board for random rain or really program a Arduino and have it grab local weather via a network connection and make it rain in your tank when it's raining outside. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wanted to do something like this on one of my tanks, but it just seemed too complicated for me! Good luck, don't forget to show pictures when you're done!
Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
owenprescott
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Throw a solenoid on it with a timer and can rain. Program a Arduino board for random rain or really program a Arduino and have it grab local weather via a network connection and make it rain in your tank when it's raining outside. lol.
If I were that capable I would probably have a job with Nasa lol. Anyway I will try splitting it as your suggested. Once I have the filter and components such as the tubes I can look at various ways to achieve rain.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I second the idea of dripper nozzles, super cheap,available at almost any local hardware store for cheap.. this seems like a really neat idea, I looove the sound of rain
Elppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
owenprescott
Algae Grower

I have decided on a dripper system, I am going to have a pump that splits one lot of water to a standard filter diffuser and the 'Rain System 1000™' :P will be connected to a cut off valve. That way I can turn off the rain, I might even have some of the drippers feeding down into the water too. At the moment it is just a matter of finding the most stylish and unobtrusive parts. I am looking forward to setting up my first tank even more now. I will have a journal up in about a week when stuff starts getting delivered.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
koumchev
Algae Grower

As I can see on your picture you planning to use a external sump or water container. I was thinking for the same but to have the rain as automatic top up system, mimic the Mother Nature. I would use a water level magnetic switch witch is almost invisible, connected to solenoid valve connected directly to my RO system. You can use a small pump and a level switch, so it will rain when the water in your tank is below desired level. The drop bars are simple straight pipes which are pierced here and there more holes hevier the rain . They should be below your lighting system for sure. And make sure the water will not splash around the floor and the cabinet. You can adjust the height of the drop bar or lower the desired water level in your fishtank. For fancier rain effect use some light controller (Arduino or other) and sound system to mimic thunders and lighting. That will be very interesting project , I cant wait to see results.
koumchev is offline   Reply With Quote