Planted Tank “Under New Management” - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #151
Digital
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital

Hey Kyle, thanks for everything man! Also, to the new owners, I'd just suggest you do textual ads, as they are more clicked than banner ads. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #152
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)
Default Planted Tank “Under New Management”

Wow, I have never seen someone so worked up over a simple political ad... I understand your frustrations, but surely there must be a more logical reason behind the ad other than Adam trying to push his or his company's political views on TPT members? Don't be ridiculous...
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #153
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Wow, I have never seen someone so worked up over a simple political ad... I understand your frustrations, but surely there must be a more logical reason behind the ad other than Adam trying to push his or his company's political views on TPT members? Don't be ridiculous...
I've never seen a political ad when Kyle was in control so no I'm not being ridiculous! You have no idea to what I'm referring so I'll wait for Adam to reply. Why don't you just sit back and see what the new owners have to say about it since you are in no position to explain why or what as opposed to assuming your opinion matters.

I wouldn't mind whatever the new owners decide as long as it applies to everyone across the board. Do as I say, not as I do seems to escape you. What I'm implying is fairness, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

So if you are not privied to what or whom I'm referring chances are you're speaking out of lack of knowledge/ignorance.

What's so intolerable/offensive about asking for clarification? Why respond if you have no answer except to criticize because you don't agree? You heard the old adage, a wise man listens...

Adam, I'm simply asking if the rules have changed?

Dan
dantra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #154
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Maybe the matrix has figured out you are a closeted democrat and you don't even know it yet, it may target adds based on the future you.
lipadj46 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #155
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Groan, mumble, deep breath, also considered looking elsewhere, leaving for my morning read. Am I being ridiculous?

Never have I read a "simple political ad"

Not a great word to pick here ridiculous...(?) political ads are a hot button topic for a lot of reasons to a lot of informed people so pick another word plz.

(imo) anybody with a buck to spend gets enough eye time with ad gab elsewhere. this site needs to stay free of the partisan fertilizer.

While strongly expressed both posts were cleanly written and I hope Dan gets a clean / CLEAR answer.

Living in a society that has to enact laws trying to stop people from texting while driving thousands of pounds of flying brick, now that's ridiculous.

Having a place to read hobby topics and opinions with my morning coffee,,, priceless.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #156
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (136/100%)
Default Re: Planted Tank “Under New Management”

@ wkndracer +1

Personally, I want my my closet back. With NO politics.
This is s family forum after all.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #157
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
Maybe the matrix has figured out you are a closeted democrat and you don't even know it yet, it may target adds based on the future you.
+1!!! LOL

anyhoo, it is a PAID ad. anyone can pay to have an ad. there is no bottom to the rabbit hole - everything is political to some degree or another. what if I'm against killing animals and yet I see an ad for a store that sells guns and hunting equipment (which would even include Walmart!). am I supposed to be 'offended'?

get your head on right, man. we americans and our sensitivities wouldn't last a second outside of our coddled borders. quit embarassing us.
WheeledGoat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #158
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Whole-heartedly agree, OVT.

Things were a lot simpler before TPT took on the corporate guise.

Forum administrators will be notified, and hopefully positive action will be taken.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #159
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

Just a heads-up: Many of those ads are served to you based on your browsing history, other patterns, your internet service provider and even your geographic location. That's how advertising with things like Google's AdSense works. Has little to do with this specific site.

I'm occasionally seeing ads for a dog kennel, some local steakhouse (I'm borderline vegan) and a vote for a regional sewer system change. All based on my geo location.

Vertical Scope can add political entities to their blocked list as they pop up, though. Or, depending upon their account, can specify that political ads won't be displayed.

If you don't like ads, install an ad-blocking plugin and you won't see them.
somewhatshocked is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #160
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've never seen a single ad on the site ever. I assume it's because I use chrome and have ADBlockPlus installed, I think you should try that. I can see how using a phone could be annoying if they don't have ad blocking sofware.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #161
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
That's hilarious although highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Groan, mumble, deep breath, also considered looking elsewhere, leaving for my morning read. Am I being ridiculous?

Never have I read a "simple political ad"

Not a great word to pick here ridiculous...(?) political ads are a hot button topic for a lot of reasons to a lot of informed people so pick another word plz.

(imo) anybody with a buck to spend gets enough eye time with ad gab elsewhere. this site needs to stay free of the partisan fertilizer.

While strongly expressed both posts were cleanly written and I hope Dan gets a clean / CLEAR answer.

Living in a society that has to enact laws trying to stop people from texting while driving thousands of pounds of flying brick, now that's ridiculous.

Having a place to read hobby topics and opinions with my morning coffee,,, priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
@ wkndracer +1

Personally, I want my my closet back. With NO politics.
This is s family forum after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Whole-heartedly agree, OVT.

Things were a lot simpler before TPT took on the corporate guise.

Forum administrators will be notified, and hopefully positive action will be taken.
Exactly! You guys get what this forum used to be and what it should remain, a place to get away from it all free from anything other than what is related to the hobby. Thank you Mike for being impartial, vigilant and always above all, fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Just a heads-up: Many of those ads are served to you based on your browsing history, other patterns, your internet service provider and even your geographic location. That's how advertising with things like Google's AdSense works. Has little to do with this specific site.

I'm occasionally seeing ads for a dog kennel, some local steakhouse (I'm borderline vegan) and a vote for a regional sewer system change. All based on my geo location.

Vertical Scope can add political entities to their blocked list as they pop up, though. Or, depending upon their account, can specify that political ads won't be displayed.

If you don't like ads, install an ad-blocking plugin and you won't see them.
I can only hope that be true however this morning I called a few friends and asked them to visit the forum just to see if the ad would show up and it has. We can't all have the same browsing history. Just to be sure I stopped over at an internet cafe this morning while picking up some breakfast and didn't log in just visited the forum and there it was, the same political Democrat ad... disgusting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
I've never seen a single ad on the site ever. I assume it's because I use chrome and have ADBlockPlus installed, I think you should try that. I can see how using a phone could be annoying if they don't have ad blocking sofware.
Understood. there are many ways to block ads from showing up but that would be circumventing the issue. I believe dealing with it head on and shining a light to it is a better course of action because it affects us all as a community. I've been lurking around this forum since 2005 and join 2007, I've never seen a political ad until now.

Dan
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #162
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

It's not all browsing history. Again,if you're all in the same region: geographic location is why the ad is being displayed. That particular ad has popped up for me all over the country as I've traveled the past couple weeks, so it's a widespread buy.

Keep in mind that not every ad served on the internet will cater to your political opinions, buying habits, viewing habits or reading habits.

If you're getting so worked up because your political opinion isn't represented or because you don't like something - use an adblocker. You'll never see another ad.

Love them or hate them, Vertical Scope didn't make the decision to allow a particular bent of political ads to appear - that's not how web advertising like that works. Getting upset at a website because an ad for the DNC pops up or because one for soy milk pops up doesn't really accomplish anything.

AdBlocker. All the way. Highly recommend everyone use one if you're tired of ads.
somewhatshocked is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #163
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:

AdBlocker. All the way. Highly recommend everyone use one if you're tired of ads.
Ditto. I never see ads on forums. Not a one. Easy (and free) solution to the problem here.

And I while I'm left-leaning, I can't see getting this worked up over an ad of all things, but again, see above statement about using an ad blocker.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #164
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have no problem with the content of the ads, only the ones that try to infect my computer with a virus for the last 2 months.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #165
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not all browsing history. Again,if you're all in the same region: geographic location is why the ad is being displayed. That particular ad has popped up for me all over the country as I've traveled the past couple weeks, so it's a widespread buy.

How can an ad, according to what Adam have stated, "The advertising on the bottom of the forum is selected using various equations, of which one is your browsing history. Other examples are the time of the day you get on (for example, you might see coffee advertisements during the early morning)." pop up all over the country or follow you throughout the region. That isn't random it's simply targeted advertising. Seems the political ad was purchased and merely rotated with others as oppose to it being random. Deliberate or random, political ads go against the forum rules and should have no place here.

Keep in mind that not every ad served on the internet will cater to your political opinions, buying habits, viewing habits or reading habits.

So why am I being "targeted" for ads that appear according to my browsing history? The real question is why am I being tracked/targeted period! How about not using any ads except to what relates to the hobby specifically. Seems like the tides have turned.

If you're getting so worked up because your political opinion isn't represented or because you don't like something - use an adblocker. You'll never see another ad.

Okay, lets try this once more. I am not upset, angry, worked up or beside myself about the political ad. I am pointing out the obvious blatant disregard and the circumventing of the "Forum Rules". The subliminal indoctrination of the so called innocent ads was never tolerated. New ownership new rules which I understand, implement them across the board.

Love them or hate them, Vertical Scope didn't make the decision to allow a particular bent of political ads to appear

Yes they did! Do you really believe a company has no say/control as to what pop ups appear on their website? You really believe that?

- that's not how web advertising like that works.

That's exactly how it works, if it didn't why don't we see any adult sites pop up. It's because of the company's input. They are in control of what ads they would like to appear. Ad targeting is more sophisticated than you think.

Getting upset at a website because an ad for the DNC pops up or because one for soy milk pops up doesn't really accomplish anything.

You're missing the point and once again I am not upset, angry, worked up or beside myself about the ad, it's the principle that matters. Way to be impartial.

Why should I be forced to do so when it wasn't necessary before. Why should I have to download any additional software to simply surf the forums ad free? I understand ads help ease the financial burden and expenses however there are many tasteful and politically free ways of doing so. I won't make excuses as to why its happening, I'll just wait for the forumadmin to reply. It's obvious it went over your head, you just don't get it. I don't mean that as an attack it's simply an observation. New rules should apply to everyone across the board.

Dan
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.