LED Floodlight Wiring Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
polukoff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

LED Floodlight Wiring Question

I recently bought some 10W led flood lights
http://www.dhgate.com/900lm-10w-outd...300b243e4.html

They did not send me the remote so I want to make these like normal floodlights, they are in strobe mode right now where they cycle through every color. Does anyone know how to rewire these to stop the strobe and color change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lX-sp0fXDE

Last edited by polukoff; 09-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: youtube link
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
mcarroll
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you look around eBay I think you can find a remote for sale by itself - IIRC they are generally compatible with one-another. YMMV, so a little reading and/or a few confirmation emails with a vendor might be in order to verify compatibility. (Your vendor being an ***-bag about sending you the remote(s) that was supposed to come with it?

FWIW, the Blue in those RGB lights is a little bit "low" on the blue spectrum to be perfect for chlorophyl and the red usually isn't the preferred deep red. Since that's all technical and "in theory" I've been meaning to experiment with one of these RGB floods myself, but to get something more like 10000K or 14000K light, or maybe lower like 5000K test an algae scrubber. So I can't wait to hear some of your results!

Also, depending on your soldering skills (unless it's screwed together) switching out the dimming power-supply for a non-dimming unit in each of those lights is a possibility. Looks like $5/each (waterproof example) is about the going rate.

Good luck!

-Matt
mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
polukoff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

An honest mistake he forgot to send them, but 1 month for shipping is ridiculous I got shows to do and plants to grow. I'm still trying to work something out with the seller, but regardless it will be another month before I see anything. In the future I will only buy from american shippers.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
mcarroll
Algae Grower

If you are on crunch time, that makes it a tough situation.

It's a long shot IMO, but can you get a part number from the driver? Maybe there's an on-board way to adjust it while you have it apart looking...if it's not obvious, a part number may help locate a manual.

Also, if you limit your search on eBay to USA sellers, there are some remotes as well as really cheap remote+RGB bulb combos that might work for you. (Just don't use the bulb part of the combo.)

Again this is not from experience, but my understanding is that these RGB remotes can be generally interchangeable....and these seem available from US sellers from around $5.

Depending on your willingness to drive for a same-day pickup, I even found some on eBay "close" to Austin. Do an Advanced Search and limit by town or zip code if you wanna take a look.

A few well-placed questions to confirm compatibility (if your current vendor can't confirm for you) and it seems like you may have some options well short of waiting another month for the next China-boat.

FWIW, this lag (hidden cost!) is definitely something you quickly learn to either plan for or avoid. There's a reason the prices are cheap...nothing comes for free. :-)

Though I haven't had any big problems with missing or broken items so far (*knocking on wood*), when I'm ordering GU10 bulbs and supplies on eBay for my projects I usually order 10-20% more than I need of any given part. Nothing in life is perfect, so the extras usually pay off in multiple ways.

(Still doesn't guard against a case like yours where the vendor leaves something off an order....)

-Matt
mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
corwinlame
Algae Grower

I have seen that light which you have been distributed through the link, that looks excellent to me. For that issue, I want to tell that you can get the remotes of it and remotes can be usually similar.
corwinlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.