Does anyone want H. Formosa.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Does anyone want H. Formosa.

Heterandria formosa. I have them, as you'll know if you've seen my posts. I can get credit for them at my LFS, but if anyone wants to buy or trade or beg the from me first, speak up. I've been surprised they haven't elicited more interest, but maybe my finger isn't on the pulse of the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

They're so beautiful! If you decide to sell them/ship them, please let me know!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Maybe it's time to try shipping. It would be the first time I ever have. I have this foam-lined box from when I bought some plants.

How many did you want? You can pay actual shipping plus $1 a fish, and I'll definitely provide extras. If there is some catastrophe you either get a complete refund or another shipment. I'd only ask that you post pics either way so I can see what works and what doesn't. And I've posted all this publicly so you don't have to worry so much about my honesty- plenty of people on this forum know where I live.

Whattya say?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)
Default helping out a friend

Heterandria formosa (known as the least killifish, mosqu or midget livebearer)[2] is a species of livebearing fish within the family Poeciliidae. This is the same family that includes familiar aquarium fishes such as guppies and mollies. H. formosa is not as commonly kept in aquaria as these species. H. formosa is one of the smallest fish in the world (7th smallest as of 1991),[3] and is the smallest fish found in North America.[4] Despite the common name "least killifish", it belongs to the family Poeciliidae and not to one of the killifish families.

Given their size, i wonder if these guys are dwarf shrimp safe... hmmmm if so we may have openned up the market for these guys
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Wow, thanks Albert, being shrimp safe would increase demand. I don't suppose you want to test them?

I would myself but my shrimp already face long odds if history is any judge.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)

Do they require live food? Can I just feed the adults crushed flakes, maybe bbs once in a while, what about frys are they big enough to eat crushed flakes or powder food?
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Do they require live food? Can I just feed the adults crushed flakes, maybe bbs once in a while, what about frys are they big enough to eat crushed flakes or powder food?
I've had no problems at all feeding them. Firstly, they nibble algae and veggies. I'm not saying they're going to replace otos or SAEs, they aren't but they're omnivorous like all the common live bearers. I'm fairly sure they'll live off of flake, they eat it when I offer it. Just for absolute disclosure I feed a very varied diet of microworms, homemade food, mosquito larvae, seed shrimp, earthworm flakes, freeze dried daphnia and golden pearls, 100-200 and 500-800, plus some omega one flakes, so I can't say how they'd do on flake alone. Probably fine.

The same is true for the fry, I don't separate them, but they definitely eat some flake and I imagine they'll be fine on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowKitty49 View Post
Oh, they're beautiful!! (Not to mention I love all things mini) Would they get along with guppies or would guppies be too aggressive for their happy life?

I haven't kept them with guppies, but I have had them with some other fish and they seem ideal community fish. If you don't care so much about breeding them I'd even say they'd probably be fine with some German rams or swordtails.

It is possible they could hybridize with guppies, I can't speak to that with any authority, but bear it in mind.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Some pics I took of them.

A male. I find the little guys rather striking. They stay tiny. Smaller than CPDs.

An out-of-focus female next to one of my fatter pencilfish. The girls aren't especially small, I'd say comparable to but fatter than a male guppy.

Some guys by some water lettuce.

The water lettuce.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I've kept/bred them years ago (still have the gold ones going in a 10g), I've never managed to get much interest in them either. I suppose most people would consider them dull compared the more colorful nano-fishes available, and that there's already a lot of other vendors selling them.

They could be raised completely on flake, though a varied diet is always good. Never had any issues with keeping them with shrimp. Doesn't hybridize with any livebearers I know of.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I read they dont eat their fry and release their offspring over a 10-14 day period which is very unlike the typical molly, platties and guppies livebearers.

Most fish get too large or get too aggressive in smaller tanks. Hmm a very good candidate for my 16g... Might have to take two pairs off your hands Matt
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

OMG I've been looking everywhere for these! how much?
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
OMG I've been looking everywhere for these! how much?
$1 each for fry, $2 for adolescents

Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Would they be okay with a Female betta in a 5.5 or is that too much bio load or would she kill them?
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Your water lettuce looks awesome! I have dwarf.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
MrBrongher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Would they be okay with a Female betta in a 5.5 or is that too much bio load or would she kill them?
Assuming it's well cycled the bio-load will be fine, but wether or not the betta kills them depends on her character. That's the stock answer for bettas with tank mates, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Your water lettuce looks awesome! I have dwarf.
That was grown in an outdoor tub with some full sun, I'm betting it dies in my tank. But thanks.