High Tech Dual T5 with LED Light vs 2 LED Lights for 72 Bow???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Question

High Tech Dual T5 with LED Light vs 2 LED Lights for 72 Bow???


Hello I've been taking my high tech 72 bowfront discus tank very slow and i'm stuck on the lighting. First I was thinking about getting a good dual T5 light with and LED light as well to get the par where I need it since I want a carpet.

But now my concern is the light bill since I have 2 other high tech tanks running (10g CRS/Taiwan fire, 7.9 Ebi Betta with endlers) and an 18g community tank which I will take down when I set up the 72g. I have notice the bill go up some but not that much so I was thinking instead of getting a dual T5 with LED why not get 2 real good LED lights (tru lumen or pinnex ray 2). Also I know T5's give off a lot of heat as well and since this will be in my room I dont want that.

I have seen the charts on PAR for led lights and seems like 2 LED lights should work fine for a high tech 72 bowfront and should bring my light bill down compared to the T5.

I know if I get 2 real good LED lights it will be a little more expensive but in the long run will save me money plus not deal with the heat issue. Let me know what you guys think about this?
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Default

bump
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Knucklez II View Post
Hello I've been taking my high tech 72 bowfront discus tank very slow and i'm stuck on the lighting. First I was thinking about getting a good dual T5 light with and LED light as well to get the par where I need it since I want a carpet.

But now my concern is the light bill since I have 2 other high tech tanks running (10g CRS/Taiwan fire, 7.9 Ebi Betta with endlers) and an 18g community tank which I will take down when I set up the 72g. I have notice the bill go up some but not that much so I was thinking instead of getting a dual T5 with LED why not get 2 real good LED lights (tru lumen or pinnex ray 2). Also I know T5's give off a lot of heat as well and since this will be in my room I dont want that.

I have seen the charts on PAR for led lights and seems like 2 LED lights should work fine for a high tech 72 bowfront and should bring my light bill down compared to the T5.

I know if I get 2 real good LED lights it will be a little more expensive but in the long run will save me money plus not deal with the heat issue. Let me know what you guys think about this?
Funny you wrote this cause I'm on the same boat as you !!!

I was looking at the 48in finnex ray ll model , cost $165
I was gonna get 2 of these cause I wanted to keep my tank high tech n still have enough light !

Def look at www.finnex.net
owens81jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Default

Ya but I'm surprised no one else has tried this route! I really Don't want to deal with a HOT5! But I Just Found Out about this LED light from marineland. It's a high light fixture
http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...l.aspx?id=4653
But the spread of the light isnt that good when u have a tank that is 18" of dept
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 735
Default

I am actually thinking of using 2 marineland double brights on my 75G... thoughts?
__________________
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
I am actually thinking of using 2 marineland double brights on my 75G... thoughts?
That is another option i was thinking about and it wouldnt be that expensive
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

I'm in the same boat I currently run 2 t5ho 4" above the glasson my high tech 72g
And 4 t8's (on the glass) on my low tech 72 g

From what I understand a ray2 will be enough to replace the t5ho
And A fudge ray will work for my low tech

Any input before I try these?
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I'm in the same boat I currently run 2 t5ho 4" above the glasson my high tech 72g
And 4 t8's (on the glass) on my low tech 72 g

From what I understand a ray2 will be enough to replace the t5ho
And A fudge ray will work for my low tech

Any input before I try these?
I will be getting 2 of the 48" Ray II just because I think the speard isnt that good but alright

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

Damn that's gonna be expensive maybe I will start with one and upgrade later. Let me know how it works out


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

So for my low tech do you think the fugeray would not be enough? Should I just go with one ray 2 on that tank? I have a 6way manifold on my co2 set up so if I have to I can run co2 on that one but I would prefer not too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Default

I think just on ray 2 will be find for your set up and no you wont need co2 but you can if you want
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led dual t5 72 bow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012