Help Growing Carpet Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
jesstray
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help Growing Carpet Plants

I have been having problems getting my carpet plants to fill-in. I have 2 Chain Swords and 1 Micro Sword in my tank since April 05. The Chain Sword made 1 runner with a small plant and the microsword has not changed. The plants are surviving, but I was hoping one would start to fill in the bare spots in my 75gallon.

I have 3WPG and leave the lights on for 12hrs/day. The plants are in the open. I use 2-DIY CO2 bottles and dose with both Flourish and Flourish Excel. My other plants see to be growing pretty well (especially the camboma). What could I possibly be doing wrong? What other plants could I use for carpet plants that would grow in quicker? Please let me know if anymore info would be useful.

Thanks in Advance.

FILSTAR Pimp #24!!! (XP3)

75g Planted, 10lb CO2, 2x65Watt PC, 2x40Watt OD Fl,
20lbs eco, 70lbs SMS Charcaol, dose w/PMDD,
ph 6.4, temp 84 degF, hardness 50-80ppm, Alk 40, NO3=5ppm, NO2/NH3-N = 0,
4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc
jesstray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

is your gravel above or below your eco complete? you might have trouble getting any groundcover to spread via runners in a thick substrate. I've had hairgrass, glosso, hc, micranthemoides, chain sword, marselia, and cobra grass foregrounds. the only two that could really spread effectively in flourite were glosso and micranthemoides. none of the "grasses" ever really took hold in the thicker substrate. on the other hand, I've had nothing but success with chain sword, hairgrass, and cobra grass in sand. substrate grain size can really limit a runner's ability to push through and spread along the substrate. Other problems could just be a lack of nutrients (do you dose macros, or just CO2, excel, and flourish?) hope this helps...

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
jesstray
Planted Member

No I don't dose any macros. I started out with the gravel (which is med to small grains) on the bottom and the Eco-Complete on top. Now it is pretty much a mixture of the two. This mixture of substrate is about 4 inches deep. Could this be my problem? Maybe I will get some glosso and micranthemoides and give it a try.

Also what would you recomend as far as dosing for macros? I just assumed that the Eco-Complete would supply enough for quite awhile. Any advice is really appreciated. I will try and post pics as soon as I figure out how to take a decent picture.

4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc
Old 07-09-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
jesstray
Planted Member

Here is a link to four pics of my tank that I have uploaded. Its not the best quality, but hopefully you can see it.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jesstr...b6.jpg&.src=ph

Old 07-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
JeffB
Algae Grower

For any planted tank with that much light you need to dose macros. Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphate.

If you do a search I am sure you will find plenty of information on the forum about dosing.
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
Lissette
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

You also need more Co2. In a 75 gal. tank, I doubt that you have enough Co2 for the plants, even with Excel.

Tanks that size should have pressurized Co2 instead of DIY bottles. You would need more DIY bottles if you can't go pressurized. If you check your kh and ph you'll get the true actual readings of your Co2. Many foreground plants require plenty of this stuff to flourish, along with the lights, macros, and traces.

You definintely have enough wpg.

Lissette
Lissette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.