Starting New Tank. Need Plant Suggestions.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
H2OGarden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Starting New Tank. Need Plant Suggestions.

Hi.

I'm getting a new tank and need planting suggestions to fit my equipment and skill level (low). I will be keeping a betta, so please tell me if he will be comfortable with this light and plant scheme.

The tank will be an ADA Mini M knockoff. It's a rimless 14"x8.5" with a depth of 10". I bought the AZOO Flexi Mini clamp on light from Amazon for when they are back in stock.

I am not planning to use CO2 reactor because I fear it will kill the fish. I don't have funds at this time to buy a well-regulated one.

I also bought plain CaribSea Tahitian Moon gravel before I decided to try a planted tank. I might have to exchange the substrate. What should I het. I don't like Eco-Complete from past use and I m not sure about the water soils but I'm game to try them if everyone recommends. Could I keep the gravel and create pockets of soil around the plants?

I didn't think I could afford the lighting for it until I found the Flexi Mini 6700K 9W of the MicroSun Dalight so I was planning on just the fish and low light plants.

So what can I grow in this tank? I'd like mosses, crypts, and a sword or similar plants. Will this set-up grow red plants?

Thanks.

Last edited by H2OGarden; 12-09-2014 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: more info
H2OGarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
dcutl002
Planted Member

I would go with ferns, crypts, and anubias to start. A general rule of thumb is any plant with dark green leaves is a good candidate for low-light.

DUECES!
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
H2OGarden
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
I would go with ferns, crypts, and anubias to start. A general rule of thumb is any plant with dark green leaves is a good candidate for low-light.
Thanks, so the light is low light? Its 6700K 9w.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
dcutl002
Planted Member

The 6700K is the color temperature. The 9W is the power consumption of the fixture. Watts per gallon is old and outdated. Now, we measure PAR and PUR. Look for posts from "Hoppy" pertaining to lighting in this forum because he can tell you much more than most.

DUECES!
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
H2OGarden
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
The 6700K is the color temperature. The 9W is the power consumption of the fixture. Watts per gallon is old and outdated. Now, we measure PAR and PUR. Look for posts from "Hoppy" pertaining to lighting in this forum because he can tell you much more than most.
Will do. However, as a math challenged person, what kind of PAR and PUR is this light on this tank?

Anybody? I'm hoping for at least low moderate lighting. I'd love to grow more than low light plants although I do like e few.

The cost of this light wont be worth it to me for just low light plants although I do like the look.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Here is a PAR chart for this fixture. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...912/PIUOCC.jpg

At 10" deep PAR is reported to be 30, a bit high for low tech I think but doable. I would think near the top PAR would be well over 100 and plenty bright enough for red leaved plants but you are risking algae. Perhaps using floating plants as well would work?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #7
H2OGarden
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Here is a PAR chart for this fixture. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...912/PIUOCC.jpg

At 10" deep PAR is reported to be 30, a bit high for low tech I think but doable. I would think near the top PAR would be well over 100 and plenty bright enough for red leaved plants but you are risking algae. Perhaps using floating plants as well would work?
hank you, Kathyy. I'm new at this, and without your interpretation this would mean nothing to me.

I might have to rethink this yet again. I got the tank simply to put a filter good enough/slow enough of the betta and silent enough for me, but I think I've given myself a headache. I despise algae, as do most I suspect. I might just get a much cheaper clip on light and grow some java moss and marimo balls, etc.

Are marimos low light?

What would be a good, inexpensive light for this low tech tank?

Thanks.

Last edited by H2OGarden; 12-09-2014 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Punctuation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.