Marko's College 20 Gal Long: home for the summer 5/19/13 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #31
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

dont worry, power is back on. has been for a few days now. all the fish survived, as did all the plants in the 20L.
actually wasnt all that bad. it stunted the growth tips on the r. macrandra variegated which got it to throw out a bunch of sideshoots in the 2 days after the power got back on. and the majority of the diatoms disappeared.

the tank is almost done cycling, and i hope to begin stocking next week. will add otos, and then shrimp. then cpds.

might take pics tomorrow. unfortunately, im still growing out the plants, and not yet shaping them, so its not too pretty. but the plants are healthy, and some of them are real lookers.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #32
Byakuya
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

can't wait to see some new pics
Byakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

here they are.
didnt take a lot, since nothing changed too much (except 1/2 my p. helferi melted in the blackout. the rest is doing ok and regrowing though, plus i farm the stuff emersed, so not an issue). i apologize for the quality, the CO2 misting was on and screwed a little with the clarity.

r. m. variegated just starting to creep along the surface (ill let this stem grow to be a bit longer then top it and plant the clipping):

sideshoots i was talking about:

r. colorata just reached the surface and just starting to color back up from the blackout:

p. sao paulo coloring back up:

d. diandra:

also, my NH3/NH4+ and NO2- are finally 0 so this tank is officially cycled. as soon as i get my replacement CO2 solenoid, i can start stocking. otos will go in first.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice plants

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I am so glad!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice plants
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
I am so glad!
thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #37
marko d
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

From one Marko to another...glad to hear it all made it through the power outage!

Looks good in there, great pearling shots...love the 20 long. Have one myself, but lacking CO2 and some HO. Someday.

Cheers.
marko d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #38
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Sometimes Fate knows what's best, Marko! Nothing like a "forced" two day black-out to help with the algae/diatom issue!

Pretty plants!! Hurry up and grow them out so you can start scaping!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #39
Xavier10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

That is beautiful
Xavier10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #40
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko d View Post
From one Marko to another...glad to hear it all made it through the power outage!

Looks good in there, great pearling shots...love the 20 long. Have one myself, but lacking CO2 and some HO. Someday.

Cheers.
thank you marko.

thanks, the extreme pearling is cuz my CO2 is really high, and i have a ton of O2. ill have to dial down the CO2 soon, when i get livestock. but i should still be able to maintain a good amount of growth and pearling.

HO? unfamiliar with this abbreviation.
yeah CO2 isnt the easiest thing to get, but since the first time i tried it, i could never go back. maybe set up a nano with DIY CO2? and some r. fluitans (pearls more than any other plant IME).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Sometimes Fate knows what's best, Marko! Nothing like a "forced" two day black-out to help with the algae/diatom issue!

Pretty plants!! Hurry up and grow them out so you can start scaping!
looks like!

thanks.
the d. diandra is just about done. after then next topping ill start maintaining it as a bush.
r. colorata is close too, but ill probably move it to where the r. green is now. the r. green, r. colorata, and r. macrandra are just too similar. so ill swap out the r. green eventually. for now ill just stick it in the back left. also have some red cabomba on the way that i will place in the tank. not sure how it will look and whether ill keep it there as part of the scape or just farm it out. for now ill put it where the r. colorata currently is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier10 View Post
That is beautiful
thank you.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #41
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

CO2 bottle is empty, but thats ok, cuz i am about to be replacing the low pressure gauge anyway. so ill fill it up and replace the gauge and fill the bottle on wednesday, and do a touch of rearranging. im gonna clear out the remainder of the h. tiger (dont need it anymore), put in a touch of lileopsis mini, move the r. colorata to where the r. green is, put some cabomba furcata where the r. colorata is, and move the r. green to the back left.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #42
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

r. m. variegated is back to its full splendor. here is a shot:
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

added amano shrimp yesterday. my LFS had em on sale since they came in smaller than usual (were the size of an adult RCS), so they were $2 each. bought 8 of em.
unfortunately 2 died in the night. was surprised and when i tested my tank i found out my nitrates were at 15ppm, which probably wasnt helping, did a 50% WC to bring them down to 10ppm (tap is at 5ppm).
otherwise everything is doing ok. diatoms are starting to clear up all the way, and the amanos and otos im getting in a few days should speed this along. got some BBA as my CO2 was bouncing all over the place due to a broke solenoid. i got that fixed, and now i should be able to get rid of it with some manual removal and excel spot dosing.
plants are growing in very nice. the r. colorata only needs one more re-plant style trim before i can start shaping it. d. diandra is gonna be shaped with the next trim. r. green is being phased out with c. furcata. p. sao paulo is starting to grow again (took the black out pretty hard). not sure whats going on with my n. pedicellata. its not melting nor algeafing, but not growing either.
pics:

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #44
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

went away for a few days for thanksgiving break. was surprised to see how much everything grew. had to do a pretty decent trim, and soon im expecting everything to fall into place.
diatoms are gone (the 6 otos probably helped quicken the job) but i am getting a touch of bba, but thats cuz i lowered my CO2 for the new livestock. ill be raising it up soon, and will spot dose excel in the meantime.

before trim FTS:

after trim FTS:

hacked r. colorata:

r. m. variegated, im in love with this plant:

t. f. lotus blossom; you cant see it in the pic, but i have 3 sideshoots starting off:

c. furcata is growing:

new shoots on p. sao paulo after last weeks trim:

this e. parkeri has the longest leaves ive ever seen:

can anyone ID this snail for me, i had a few pop up in the tank:
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #45
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Looks like a ramshorn snail to me.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote