Well established cold water native tank with plants dying all of a sudden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
stacir

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well established cold water native tank with plants dying all of a sudden

I have a 55 gallon cold water native tank with some perch and bluegill (tank with lots of pygmy). I started out with warm fresh water, bought CO2 tank and fertilizer and substrate and tried to grow plants and just couldn't do it. So i gave up and switched the tank over to cold water native and left it alone. No CO2, low light and small filter. The plants started to grow like crazy. Mostly just pygmy chain sword and some crypts and or anubias? For almost a year it's been a great tank with no maintenance. Just weekly to monthly water changes. I've been able to pinch off the trailers and plant them in my 125 native tank (pic below with driftwood and minnows). And they've also been doing well. The grass was growing like crazy but the two broad leafed plants weren't doing well, then I started adding a fertalizer tab once a month and they did better.

But all of a sudden Pygmy chain started dying off fast. Not sure why? Do you suppose the nutrients in gravel just go too low? The tank was doing well for almost a year and a half. I also put some of the grass in my 75 warm freshwater, with low light, and no CO2 but they aren't doing well there either. Weekly water changes, cories and rainbows, some algae problems in this tank. Can't seem to beat that either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not sure what this is?.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	59810  

Name:	Crypt or Sword?.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	59814  

Name:	125 gallon native.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	59822  

Name:	55 gallon tank.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	59824  

stacir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Cool tank! I have that issue too, my tanks grow like mad for a while and then just hit a wall. I suspect that your tank just ran out of nutrients and needs ferts. Try root tabs for your crypts and chain sword, and water column ferts for the anubias. Root tabs work wonders after a couple weeks once the plants' roots get to them.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.