co2 regulators, solenoid and needle valve problems
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

co2 regulators, solenoid and needle valve problems

I'm going hi tech and am in need of a co2 regulator. while researching, I found out that people say that you have re adjust the needle valve when the solenoid clicks in the morning or whenever you turn it on. I've read reviews with problems on the aquatek regulators and the milwaukee ones too! have any of you had this problem? if you fixed it, how so? and lastly, do you know of a regulator that doesn't have this problem? here are the regulators that I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Inst..._petsupplies_3

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-AQUATE...ntball+aquatek
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am building a dual-stage high end regulator, but for my 6.6 gallon test tank, I bought an Aquatek on sale for around $60. My bubble rate has remained rock solid consistent. I set it and forget it.

I did read a post somewhere that high breaking pressure check valves may be part of the reason people were having issues with the bubble rate. I use a glass check valve and bubble counter and back it up with a cheap plastic check valve. All of these have very low breaking pressures. Even though it is cheap, I found the needle valve on the Aquatek just fine. It holds the position well, and while the resolution of the knob is coarse, it is easily adjustable to produce the bubble count I desire. I hope this helps.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

just wait, when the solenoid turns on in the morning, the pressure and the bubble/flow rate in the whole system need to slowly adjust themselves to the equilibrium.
it is about 10-30 minutes(depends on other factors), the bubble rate will slow down and steady as yesterday if the system has no leak and there is nothing change(same setting as the day before).
when solenoid turns off, takes about 10-30 minutes for the co2 to be completely stop, pressure slowly drop in the tubing.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, paintball, regulator