29g river bed (not fauna)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
averittexpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

29g river bed (not fauna)

I started my tank around the beginning of 2012. Now the growth has become almost uncontrollable. I'm not complaining. I like it. I even thought it was a little overcrowded/stocked, and it is. So far, I've taken out some stargrass and mexican oak leaf. I left in my Ambulia, Baby Tears, Bacopa australis (I'm trying to let it flower. It looks like a really big tree now...), Cabomba, Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Dwarf four leaf clover, Dwarf Hairgrass, Lace Java Fern, Saggitaria Chillensis, and Corkscrew Vals. I've got a 34watt hood and FAR too much substrate. The good news, though, is I was lucky enough to build it right. The gas is released before it builds to the point it boils up the sand and gravel. As of now, I've got 1 Bamboo Shimp, 8 Rummynose tetras, 3 Emerald Cories, 3 Julli Cories, 2 Albino Cories, 1 Siamese Algae Eater and 1 Black Mystery Snail (female) also countless Pond Snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Ramshorn Snails (Multiple Colors). I'm running my tank at around 80F and have a run of the mill HOB filter. I'm battling an invasion of staghorn algae. I believe I just need to cut down on my photo period, but if anyone else has any experience with this "PITA" algae, please let me know anything you might have learned about Staghorn. I've been trimming plants weekly and decided to let them grow to see if I just didn't have enough green absorbing nutrients. I'd be willing to trade almost any of my plants as via PM too. I'll get more recent pictures up soon. The pictures up on "My Tanks" are at least two months old and need an update somethin' terrible!
Dirty 29 Gallon Planted 0____o Fraternity of Dirt #86 - - Aquarists do it best in the dirt.

Last edited by averittexpress; 05-25-2012 at 05:07 AM..
averittexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

How about a picture?

How about trying a light period with a siesta. The siesta period help Co2 build up and become more constant. Since I have the siesta period I stopped having chronic problems with BBA.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Get some Excel and double dose it (double the regular dose, not the inital dose). Do it 2-3 days in a row and then do a water change after. Repeat for a couple weeks and most of it should melt completely. Worked for me, I haven't a trace of staghorn left.
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
averittexpress
Algae Grower

Siesta Period? In English please? (lol) So, like an hour in the middle of the day? Like a shadow over a lake... Ok, pictures. Taking some now.
Dirty 29 Gallon Planted 0____o Fraternity of Dirt #86 - - Aquarists do it best in the dirt.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
averittexpress
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
How about a picture?

How about trying a light period with a siesta. The siesta period help Co2 build up and become more constant. Since I have the siesta period I stopped having chronic problems with BBA.
How about this picture?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by averittexpress View Post
Siesta Period? In English please? (lol) So, like an hour in the middle of the day? Like a shadow over a lake..
I have 3hrs between light period. Something like this - 4hrs on/ 3rhs off/ 4hrs on.

Gh up and KNO3 should help. Can get it here fastest and cheapest. Info on making the KNO3 solution here.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
averittexpress
Algae Grower

It's not the BBA though. It's staghorn. I've killed off the brush algae in an attempt to exterminate the Staghorn. I kind of wanted the brush algae.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
averittexpress
Algae Grower

I'm trying the siesta thing in combo with the Excel trip-dose. Today is first water change. I'm giving it about two hours in the middle of the day to rest and build up the CO2 levels. Which is actually really refreshing because my fish love to play when it's "shadowed". Granted I'm at work most of the time, but weekends make a big difference. If anyone would like some of the cuttings, let me know. Also, there's a good bit of Spiral Vals that could be thinned out pretty good. I'm going to have to trim pretty soon and hate throwing these things away.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
averittexpress
Algae Grower

I've unfortunately had to tear this tank down to move to a new house. :~(
But I upgraded to a 40 gallon and put much less soil in it this time. Staghorn algae is gone now. I took half the light away for about three week and trimmed twice a week. All the fish are the same, but there's more gravel and sand. Posting pictures soon!

I also upgraded the filter to a Fluval 206 (?) canister filter.

Tags
staghorn, staghorn algae