Rimless 55g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Ecas32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rimless 55g

De-rimmed my old 55, and before anything is said I would like to include that the rim did not have a brace, and the rim was already splitting and coming apart. I have already filled it and tested it with water.

I actually am taking this tank over from my father, who has done cichlids all his life. I changed out the substrate and put osmocote gel capsules in it for ferts. Once I fill it up I will be dosing with co2 and Flourish. Lighting is Aquatic life 4 lamp fixture running Agromax Glow spectrum all around. This is my first go at DSM and HC so any input is welcomed.

Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Looks great, nice and simple. Did you get those plants from a LFS? Haven't seen them in a bag like that, unless that is just a regular fish bag. My advice for you would be not to worry about Seachem Flourish, go ahead and get some dry fertilizers. When you buy the premixed stuff from the LFS you are basically paying for water with a sprinkling of fertilizer. I bought around $30 worth of dry fertilizers almost 3 years ago and I am still using them, so it is defiantly worth the money. Out of everything I have spent money on in this hobby, co2 and dry fertilizers were by far the best purchase.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

You say the plastic trim was already split. That could be an indication that the tank was already bowing. I wouldn't trust it in my house, but to each his own. It looks like a nice start though, so good luck with it.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
You say the plastic trim was already split. That could be an indication that the tank was already bowing. I wouldn't trust it in my house, but to each his own. It looks like a nice start though, so good luck with it.
I should have clarified... it was split in the corners. All the seams on the tank are still great so I am not attributing the splits to the glass. Its just an old tank that spent a good part of its life baking out in the sun.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Looks great, nice and simple. Did you get those plants from a LFS? Haven't seen them in a bag like that, unless that is just a regular fish bag. My advice for you would be not to worry about Seachem Flourish, go ahead and get some dry fertilizers. When you buy the premixed stuff from the LFS you are basically paying for water with a sprinkling of fertilizer. I bought around $30 worth of dry fertilizers almost 3 years ago and I am still using them, so it is defiantly worth the money. Out of everything I have spent money on in this hobby, co2 and dry fertilizers were by far the best purchase.
I actually got them off the no ebay links allowed They are the same bags live Aquaria sends their potted plants in so I've encountered them a few times. But thanks for the advice on the dry ferts I may have to look into that!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #6
exv152
Wannabe Guru

When doing a DSM with HC don't over water or you run the risk of getting a mold breakout. I had better results when I let the soil half dry, and I watered every three days or so, removing the wrap once or twice a week to vent.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
When doing a DSM with HC don't over water or you run the risk of getting a mold breakout. I had better results when I let the soil half dry, and I watered every three days or so, removing the wrap once or twice a week to vent.
oh wow, thanks for the heads up exv! I may do just that...
Old 06-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Week 1 update:

Day 1

Day 7

Progress is being made!

Last edited by Ecas32; 06-14-2014 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #9
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Brave man derimming a 55, I'd keep a close eye on the seals. Look straight down the front rim, you'll see it bow a bit. I'd just keep an eye on that. I've derimmed 3-4 tanks now but haven't had the guts to do my 55 where its so tall and long. My center brace is split too on it, but the trim alone supports it a bit I can feel the tension.

Either way... Good start man.. Looks nice. Hope the best.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Ecas32
Algae Grower

The dry start has been going great! It has grown together in some places, but some places still have a little ways to go. My question to you all thou is that I am getting a little bit of die off in one place and I can't figure out why. Has my luck reached its end and I should go ahead and flood? I really wanted to go dry until fully carpeted but should I flood in order to save my plants?

heres the die off in question:

Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Anybody?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
Ecas32
Algae Grower

It is continuing to get worse in that one spot.... anyone who has with a dry start, please weigh in here?!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #13
Ecas32
Algae Grower

I flooded it today, and aside from uprooting a couple pieces of HC, it went great and all is well.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

It looks great Ecas. Love the look, if I had a 55 with thicker glass I would de rim mine (mine is Tetra brand.. Cheap..).
Old 07-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Thanks Clueless!

I had the chance to add a few plants today. Still have much more to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.