April's 5.5 gallon shrimpster - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the idea! I might see how it works out, but I'd be so worried about substrate clogging it up if I did anything with soil. I'm quite new to this, and anything DIY scares me, haha. But poor is the name of the game in college, so I might find myself giving it a shot anyway! Thanks for the info

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Don't be afraid of DIY! My worst experience has been to try and de-rim a 5.5 gallon tank. I ended up with broken glass everywhere and bloody, cut up hands. Then my dad walked in and freaked out. $15 down the drain, but then I got another tank for free, so it was alright.

Other than that, you usually end up saving lots of money, and also you get the fun and satisfaction of designing and building it yourself. I would say the #1 rule of DIY is to have the right tools, and put in a good bit of research before commencing any project.

What size tank do you have/want to have? If you're unsure about UGF, look into a Mattenfilter! I will be using that in my next project. If you any questions about it, I will be happy to give you some links to resources.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not about to uproot everything in my 10g at the moment, but I've been hearing so much about everyone with thier shrimp tanks and all of the joy those bring, so I was looking at maybe starting a shrimp tank of my own.

Other than that, I'm debating the merits of getting a 55gallon in (provided I can convince my roommate) the livingroom. (We could fit a 300 gallon if I wanted. But we only have a year lease, that seems excessive... haha) I'd be considering UGF for that one if I do it. In the meantime, research and such!

I've heard the term thrown around before, but I've not really know what a mattenfilter is. A quick google gives me the impression that it's confusing. A sponge surrounding the intake hose instead of by the output?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Nice tank. I love the gravel pathway. A few questions:
What substrate are you using?
What type of lighting are you using?
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Last edited by Monster Fish; 09-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Silmarwen: Trust me, TRUST ME. If you forsee even 1 move in the near future, much less 2 or 3, wait for the 55 gallon. It's a pain in the student's gluteal (which is already sore from hours of uncomfortable library chair usage) to move a tank. It may also disrupt your biological filter, and or cause stress and susceptibility to disease for your fish (and maybe even for you??).

Shrimp tanks are indeed lovely, much easier to care for, and very fascinating! Just don't let your drunk visitors pour vodka in the tank. Bad news for your shrimps.

Monster: Azoo substrate, suggested to me because of less cloudiness in the set up, which was certainly the case for me.

I used the Marineland double bright 18" led fixture for dry start, then switched to the very small Marineland 11" LED fixture, which is perfect for a medium lighted 5 gal. I am getting good results so far, and I am injecting CO2. No algae yet, and H. tripartita is pearling a little!

Last edited by Gnomecatcher; 09-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: question update
Gnomecatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Are you attending SJSU?
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

No, I wish I did. I grew up in SJ. That is where home is. <3

I go to Cal Poly SLO. Biochemistry.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm at SJSU finishing up my senior year (at 30...). Born and raised there too, though I'm living in Fremont now =) Anyway, really like your tank!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool! It's never too late to finish school. What are you studying?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Software Engineering - mostly to finish my degree so my daughter has no argument (in 16 years) when I tell her that she needs to go to college

My wife is a chemistry major from Santa Clara, minored in biochem, good luck with your studies, I know exactly how much work that is!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Luck is EXACTLY what I'll need...

Good luck yourself. Good for you, being a role model for your daughter! I certainly look up to my dad more than anyone I know, he is my best friend.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher View Post
Silmarwen: Trust me, TRUST ME. If you forsee even 1 move in the near future, much less 2 or 3, wait for the 55 gallon. It's a pain in the student's gluteal (which is already sore from hours of uncomfortable library chair usage) to move a tank. It may also disrupt your biological filter, and or cause stress and susceptibility to disease for your fish (and maybe even for you??).

Shrimp tanks are indeed lovely, much easier to care for, and very fascinating! Just don't let your drunk visitors pour vodka in the tank. Bad news for your shrimps.
I take it the vodka issue has become a problem before? That would suck so bad!

As far as the tank goes, though, I actually don't know yet if moving will be an issue for a few years. I'm graduating, but may be beginning grad school at the same university anyway. If moving does become an issue, I'll move the tank back home at least a month before I have to start packing everything else, and leave it there permanently. Otherwise, I'll sell it to a local friend--another aquarium lover--who has a home in the 'burbs. (How about that--stability! What a novel thought.)

I really want to gift my parents with a 55g (or bigger, even!) anyway, since we left ours behind when we moved 8 years ago from Maryland to Michigan. Mom always regretted it, so I wanted to make up for it (They probably could have done it without three hooligans like my brothers and I to occupy them!).

Nevertheless, it's still really just in the pipe dreaming stage at the moment. The biggest I can realistically see myself with in the next few months is 25 gallons, but only if Dad decides to be generous with the doting-upon-his-daughter again, haha.

In the meantime, I will probably just content myself with nanos and plants. *dreamy sigh*

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

I heard a story...and that is when I decided that alcohol will not become a thing in my house. I don't drink anyways, no reason to have drunk kids over.

Well there's a thought. You could set up a pretty nice low tech 55 at your parent's place. Another idea is dry starting the tank for a few months, let the plants grow in nice and thick, and then maybe by the time it's ready to fill, you'll have a better idea about where the tank is going to go (either at your place or at your parents'). Another suggestion I would make is growing emersed plants when the tank is set up, that way you'll have a super biological filtration, and it will be littler to no maintenance on your parents' part. Ever heard of ripariums?

Daughters can get whatever they want, as long as they work the strings on Dad right. It's the reason I got a new car, and my brother got a hand-me-down.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aaaaaaah, A car. The one thing dad keeps waffling one. I suppose living on/within walking distance of campus, with roommates and friends who can take me grocery shopping, and a bus system within a half hour walk, is reason not to need one. Hah.

I have no wildly drunken friends, thankfully, so I won't worry too much about dead- drunken shrimp either. Hah.

I like the idea of dry-starting an aquarium, and it seems like "everybody's doing it," but I had heard somewhere that immerse-able plants that were grown emersed melted and had a re-formation period when environment changed. What are people doing to avoid that? Is it just certain plants? Because that might be ideal, actually...

(Upon re-reading, I feel the urge to go back and insert 'hah' at the end of the last paragraph. I won't. But I will go back and edit the post after posting to say that I wouldn't. ...wait for it... Hah.)

Last edited by Silmarwen; 09-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Hah.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Erm, *cough*, yes, no reason to have car even though you live next to campus and have free student bus transportation. But don't tell my dad that, he might take away my car...

Look at my aquarium. It was dry started. No melting at all.

Yes, certain plants may be more susceptible to melting during the transition period, but you can avoid or reduce this by keeping the aquarium covered while the plants are emersed to keep the humidity at 100%. That way when you flood the tank, the plants can recover quickly. You can easily dry start plants such as Hydrocotyle species, ferns, Ludwigia, Hygrophila, Bacopa, Cryptocoryne, swords, sometimes even moss (not subwassertang), etc. Just ask/look around for ideas.

Last edited by Gnomecatcher; 09-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: update
Gnomecatcher is offline   Reply With Quote