Deep Blue 80G Rimless Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

I have a new project in the works. I have been pondering another larger riparium setup for a while. I was planning to used a de-rimmed standard 75G filled to about 2/3 full, but then somebody suggested a shallow frag tank as a nice option for this kind of setup.

Deep Blue Professional manufactures both a 60G and an 80G frag tank on the same footprint as a standard 120 (24" X 48"). These tank would be perfect for open-top riparium setups, with lots of room for plants and fish. Here's the link to the 80G product page on their site...

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/rimless.html

I had hardly heard of Deep Blue before. I guess they market primarily to reef hobbyists. We are working on ordering the tank. I hope that we can get one built without the filter box.

For an idea of the scale of a tank like this, here's an picture of the 120 that I made a long time ago...

As you can see that one was only about 40% full of water. We had some Mexican livebearers in it.

I have a few ideas for plant & fish themes for this new project. My current favorite notion is for an India or Myanmar river with loaches and barbs and danios. I have also wondered about doing a South America setup. A real broad sandy bottom would look really cool with a big shoal of cories. There are lots of plants that could look good with a tank like this. Some of the riparium that grow a but larger to 36" or so would proportion nicely with a four foot tank.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to have some updates pretty soon.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
aXio
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah I have the 60g for my reef tank at home. I love the dimension of the tank. And we carry deep blue tanks at my store. But most freshies are turned off by it because of the overflow I'm thinking.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXio View Post
Yeah I have the 60g for my reef tank at home. I love the dimension of the tank. And we carry deep blue tanks at my store. But most freshies are turned off by it because of the overflow I'm thinking.
The dimensions are perfect.

Do you think they might be able to build one without the overflow? I'm waiting to hear back from somebody about that. What about removing the overflow? Do you think it would come out easily or not?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I have a few deep blue tanks for my freshwater fish and shrimp. Great tanks, really have no complaints. And the black silicone has a very nice look to it. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, your skills are most impressive A suggestion/recommendation, if you do go with a Myanmar theme, gold ring danios Danio tinwini. They are awesome little fish and look amazing when the light hits them. Would be cool to see a school of them darting in and out of the shade.

Last edited by Duck5003; 11-13-2013 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: iD10T error
Duck5003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
I have a few deep blue tanks for my freshwater fish and shrimp. Great tanks, really have no complaints. And the black silicone has a very nice look to it. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, your skills are most impressive A suggestion/recommendation, if you do go with a Myanmar theme, gold ring danios Danio tinwini. They are awesome little fish and look amazing when the light hits them. Would be cool to see a school of them darting in and out of the shade.
Yeah tinwini are real nice little fish. I had wanted to look into some larger danio relatives such as Barilius sp. So I'll have to think about compatibility. Some of the loaches and larger danios can be nippy.

What do you think about removing the filter box? Is it just siliconed in there? Will it come out with some effort?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I am looking forward to seeing the development of this set up!
johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I am looking forward to seeing the development of this set up!
I hope to have some news about the tank pretty soon.

I have lots of cool plants to use with this project.

Another fish idea I have is for native US species.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I've never had one of the reef ready so i cant give you any advice on filter removal, however i feel like it shouldnt be that difficult. I have 2 of the 7.5 gallon cubes, a 1.5 gallon and a standard 5 gallon, but love the tanks.
Duck5003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

the (roughly) 3 gallon long betta tanks they do are pretty nice, looking at the frag tanks at my LFS, they look pretty awesome. can't help ya on the filter removal, but looks like it's going to be an awesome build.
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
I've never had one of the reef ready so i cant give you any advice on filter removal, however i feel like it shouldnt be that difficult. I have 2 of the 7.5 gallon cubes, a 1.5 gallon and a standard 5 gallon, but love the tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudomugil View Post
the (roughly) 3 gallon long betta tanks they do are pretty nice, looking at the frag tanks at my LFS, they look pretty awesome. can't help ya on the filter removal, but looks like it's going to be an awesome build.
Thanks you guys. I imagine that removing the overflow box won't be too difficult. The holes in the glass could probably be used to plumb a canister filter through the bottom. I hope to have news about ordering the tank pretty soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I hope to get a start on this in the next couple of weeks. I am going to put the stand together before we bring the tank over. The stand will use this kind of construction with the Strongtie framing connectors and finished cedar boards...

I already have some good full-sized plants to put in the tank. The fish selection will probably make some kind of biotope representation, but the riparium foliage will just be some larger tropical plants that look good together. I have a couple of these Pandanus tectorius that I had in my brackish tank and they would look good together mixed with other stuff.

Cat palm (Chameadorea cataractarum) would be another good one.

Both of these plants have some height that will look good with the broad and shallow tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.